Depakote vs. Depakote ER ?????

mattsmum

My difficult child has been on Depakote ER...until the Pharmacist at the local pharmacy questioned it. He said Depakote ER was initially for migraine sufferers and, if my son is taking Depakote 2x day (breakfast and bedtime) he should probably be on just Depakote.

He called our Psychiatrist and she changed the prescription to Depakote. Has anyone else heard of this?

Shari

IsItFridayYet?
ER is extended release. difficult child 1 took it one time a day.

I'd assume it lasts all day? Don't really know.

smallworld

Depakote ER is dosed once a day. Depakote is dosed twice a day. Our neuro wanted difficult child 1 to take Depakote ER because she said the blood levels stayed more even throughout the day than with regular Depakote. But he couldn't swallow the large Deapkote ER tablets so we went with regular Depakote.

You may notice a slight change in behavior with the switch from Depakote ER given that the blood levels may not be as steady with regular Depakote.

ShakespeareMamaX

i take depakote er. i can't take medications twice a day with my memory, but it seems to be working with me. i forget...can you crush the pills? they are horse pills. even i have issues getting em down.

klmno

My difficult child takes the er type once a day. he takes 2 of the 250 mg because the 500 mg are horse pills. i asked psychiatrist if it would be better to take one in am and one in pm- psychiatrist says it is best to take the er depakote once a day- apparently it is not the same make-up as some others, like lithobid.

JJJ

You can't crush the ER pills. Their so big because they are layered to release a constant amount of medications throughout the day. Tigger was on Depakote ER, twice a day until our insurance decided that everyone would do fine on regular Depakote.