Desperate - need housebreaking help!

F

flutterbee

I've never had trouble housebreaking a dog. However, Yorkie's are notoriously hard to housebreak and from what I've been reading some never become fully housebroken.

I can take this little guy outside and watch him potty and within minutes of being back in, he'll potty again. He just peed on Wynter's bed (!!! - that's a new one) and he had been out twice within 30 minutes this morning - back in for less than 5 minutes.

The vet said to take him out and if he doesn't do what he's supposed to to put him in the crate - not let him have free roam. If he does do what he's supposed to then he can be loose in the house. The problem is, he'll go outside and pee and poop and then do it again in the house within minutes or less than an hour. He doesn't ask to go outside.

I'm out of ideas. Everything I know to do isn't working. Help!!!

mstang67chic

Going Green
The crate thing isn't a bad idea.

If he goes again inside, maybe you can watch him after you bring him in. When he starts to circle and sniff, immediately take him back out or leave him out a little longer when you take him the first time. I know of a dog that when he poops, he's a double location pooper. He'll go...walk around some, pick another spot and then go again.

Another thought that we did with a dog of ours once was paper train and then gradually move the paper closer to the door till it ended up at the back door. By that time he was accustomed to going to the door when he had to go and we just adjusted it by taking him outside.

Lothlorien

I have a yorkie and I never had this problem. I would just keep him in the crate and when he's not on the crate, keep him on a leash that you attach to your belt. When he starts to do it, which he probably won't if your attached to him, then take him out or tug on the leash and say NO! Eventually, he'll get it.

WhymeMom?

No real answers to life..
Not familiar with Yorkies, but my thought would be unless you can watch him like a hawk he's in the kennel/crate. I do like the leash idea and he probably will follow you around anyway.... but the leash lets him know who is in charge....

ctmom05

Make sure you give your pet a nice leisurely potty break, not a hurried one right before you have to attend to another important task.

The key is providing patience and consistency. My dog gives signals when she has to go. She tends to circle or walk back and forth anxiously, but she may not go to the door.

If your poochy friend tends to go inside within a short time after coming in from a potty break, take him out again - 5 or 10 minutes later. You can lengthen the increments of time when he seems to be getting the idea.

donna723

If he's very young, you may need to take him out every hour or so till he gets the idea. Has he always done this? If he keeps it up you might want to have him checked for a urinary track infection. If he's an adult dog and just started the frequent peeing, you might want to have him checked to make sure he's not diabetic.

F

flutterbee

He's 10 months old. We've had him since September and he has pretty much always done this, but it seems to be getting worse. Of course, I've been in a flare and haven't been watching him as closely. We've also had to put him on a tie out when we take him because he runs off and he seems to be under the impression that, "Come here" means run further. :rolleyes:

At first, after he started to run off, I took him out on the leash, but he just goes to the end of the leash and sits. He won't do anything or even move. He's not too fond of the tie out (toy size - 24feet), but I can't chase him all over the neighborhood. So, I guess it's been increasing because he doesn't seem to like to go on the tie out - although he does. When he was just outside with me, pottying in the house wasn't as frequent.

I do give him plenty of time and we go out frequently.

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Heather

Betsy was one who always had to go twice before you brought her back inside. Nichole never believed me and so there were lots of accidents. :mad:

She stopped needing the twice thing last summer. Dunno why. Just doesn't seem to be an issue now. She goes out, does her business and comes in and is just fine.

She just now came up with a signal too. And its just such a great one I can tell so easily apart from the others........ NOT:mad: She's about ready to pop half the time by the time Mom gets a clue, no she doesn't want petted yet again...she needs to potty! sheesh!

Betsy's clue to go is that she'll keep putting her paws up on my lap, over and over while looking at me hopefully. (obvious huh?) Then if I ask if she has to go she goes berserk. And that's how I know. sigh

I do know easy child kept him ouside for quite awhile each time, and if she couldn't keep an eye on him, she crated him. And I only know this because she'd complain her husband never kept him out long enough or watched him and he'd have accidents.

Only time I had a dog pee on a bed was to mark it. And I never did get him to stop. And he's the reason Rowdy is an outside dog.....cause I was afraid he'd do the same thing.:faint:

I don't even remember, does he bark or whine or anything to let you know he has to go?

Hugs

F

flutterbee

Nope, he doesn't bark or whine. In fact, I've only caught him trying to go maybe twice and hurried him outside. He's a sneaky little thing. We always find it after the fact. And he always looks guilty.

It's not like it's hard to watch him. Yorkies (at least Buster) don't like to be alone so he's with me or Wynter 99% of the time.

He is a double pooper - outside, not inside. And he pees so much when he goes, I can't imagine there's anything left. Apparently, there is, though.

F

flutterbee

Sorry - don't mean to sound negative. Just really exhausted right now.

I will try the advice given and will make a solid effort to keep a closer eye on Buster.

Thanks for the advice. :D

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Negative? :rofl:

You should've heard me going to town with Nichole over Betsy.! It's frustrating as heck when you seem to have a dog who doesn't appear to be catching on to potty training. Add in that your not feeling well......Heck, I'd be ready to rip out my hair.

((hugs))

donna723

Has he been neutered? If he hasn't been, at ten months the peeing in the house could be marking his territory. If he gets in the habit of marking inside, as he gets older it will continue even if you have him neutered later. Ten months is plenty old enough to be neutered and it could solve your problem. If that's what he's doing and you let it continue, he may never stop!

donna723

OK, one last thought and then I'm fresh out of ideas. Have you tried a 'belly band' on him? A lot of people use them to keep their male dogs from peeing in the house. They're these washable cloth bands that fit around their middle and fasten with velcro. You leave it on them and take it off when you take them outside. I don't know if they think they can't pee with it on, or if it absorbs it (probably a little of both) but they're supposed to work very well.

This shows what they look like...

http://www.kennelkomforts.net/index.html

You can find them online or some of the big stores like Petsmart carry them. I'm on unfamiliar ground here because I have had nothing but girl dogs for the last 16 years!

Last edited:

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
A belly band (or b!tch pants for the girl dogs) is nothing more or less than a doggie diaper.

Most of them can be purchased with washable pads. Some of them can be used with disposeable human pantyliners if you prefer.

toK