desperatly need some advice

debs1974

Hi, i found this site and looked very promising.
I will give a ( hopefully ) short description of problems.

My son is 19 years old, he was diagnosed with emotional, behaviour and social difficulties when he was 8 years old. His reading and writing is well below his age range. He had a statement of special educational needs up until he left school at 16 years old. There was nobody who we could talk to for advice, infact my doctor said ' he needs to get out more' .. ok but he has social problems, so no help there. We tried our local Connexions people who said ' clamin dla'.. turned down twice because no up to date information. ( because there was nobody to turn to for help ). Cannot claim esa because dr says ' he is not ill ' and will not give medication cert.. so he claimed jsa, but now jsa said they are taking his money away because he needs to apply for 6 jobs a week.. how when he cannot read or write properly? and yes they are aware of this.

I need some advice on who to talk to. not c.a.b because they said to claim esa. Seriously think im going to have a break down again.
Please please any advice, very desperate mummy here :(

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Welcome to the board. :)

I'm not sure what esa and jsa are??

It sounds as if your son needs a new evaluation, has probably needed a new one for a while. Symptoms change as children age and can give a clearer picture of what is going on.

Has your son ever been evaluated by a neuropsychologist?

Feel free to give as much background info as you can, debs, we don't mind and it helps us to offer better advice because we get a better idea of what is going on, what you've tried and not tried ect.

I'm glad you found us. You've landed in a great place with people who care.

(((hugs)))

BusynMember

Are you in the uk? I know they do things very differently there.

Sounds like you son could be on the autism spectrum, but not sure how the diagnosing is where you are. But from the diagnoses he was given, sure sounds a lot like autistic spectrum disorder. You may want to buy some books off Amazon on that especially if he had any early speech delays (even if he caught up) and has serious social skill problems, obsessions or oddities. My son is almost 20 and on the spectrum, and he did not achieve as well in school as he might have without the Autism Spectrum Disorders (ASD) either. But he is getting some great help for adults who have certain higher functioning disabilities. Do they have that where you live?

Someone may come along from your neck of the woods. I hope so! Meanwhile, are YOU getting therapy for your stress? You need to take care of yourself too!! (((Hugs)))!