DHS coming on Friday; we're requesting an ASAP evaluation

OpenWindow

Our caseworker called and now she's coming Friday afternoon. I could use any available toes, fingers, eyes crossed and prayers sent that it goes well, that she is still on board with the counselor recommendations, that our house stays clean until then, and that husband stays calm.

The counselor is asking DHS to request an ASAP evaluation. It's the evaluation that will help determine what course of treatment may be best for difficult child, and will most likely help our argument if DHS changes their mind again and decide to try to send him off to the Residential Treatment Center (RTC).

klmno

Linda, all toes, fingers, and ears crossed!! I'd mention the "safety plan" and point out any visible signs of how you're making sure the kids stay protected. I think it might help to enthusiasticly discuss the treatment plan and how that's going, too.

mom_to_3

I suggest that at best, you use your own therapist for the evaluation or at the very least you are able to give some input yourself to their evaluator. Can your counselor do the evaluation?

OpenWindow

Thanks everyone.

The evaluation is done by a private agency but is requested by DHS when they're considering options for adolescent sexual offenders. I think that DHS here has to get this kind of evaluation before sending them to the Residential Treatment Center (RTC) for sex offenders. So the counselor thinks that it would be a proactive way to stop DHS from pursuing this and if there is something more serious, the evaluation may catch it now so we can get him the correct treatment now. difficult child's counselor has worked with the company that does these in our area, and has faith in them. She called them last week and they were surprised too that DHS mentioned the Residential Treatment Center (RTC) when she told them the details of what we knew had happened.

We're taking a chance that the evaluation won't go well, but I don't think that will happen. If it doesn't go well and they find deeper issues, better we know now than later.

Linda

klmno

That sounds better than imagined. Still, try to get whatever you can in writing from your counselor because somtimes, some people who are supposed to be non-biased don't mention certain things in court. You might have a wonderful DHS worker on this, but you might have one with a convenient memory.

DDD

I admire the path you have chosen. You are advocating for your children
while preparing for issues that could arise. I am crossing body parts and
sending caring thoughts your way. DDD

B

bran155

Everything is crossed!!! I hope all goes well for you and yours on Friday. I will keep you all in my prayers.

Try not to drive yourself nuts worrying, stay calm, everything will be fine. I have a tendency to worry way too much and way too early. It usually turns out fine and I drove myself crazy with worry for nothing.

Hang in there. Let us know how it goes. :)