Dialectial Behavior Therapy

Macalania

Hi everyone. I was advised from the Teen substance abuse sight to also try this sight for my question. Has anyone had any experience with DBT (Dialectial Behavior Therapy and how do you feel about it?

Janna

Oh, there's a guy on MySpace that does DBT online, and I was really considering chatting with him for D - can't recall his name.

I have a friend that has a Bipolar teenager - he just graduated high school, and she has done DBT with him the last 2 years and swears by it. I have heard nothing but good stuff about it, but I think finding someone to do it may be hard.

Hope that works out for you!

LittleDudesMom

Hi. Here's just two thoughts I have on Dialectical Behavior Therapy. I do agree with the basic concept that enviornmental issues led to the diagnosis or diagnosis's that a difficult child has - I know that kinda simplifies it, but it basically removes the genetic component and places the early environment as a culprit.

The therapy itself is intense in regards of time, and you need the willingness on behalf of the patient to contribute to the process.

You don't have a signature for us to go by. Over here on the general board, we don't know anything about your difficult child. I am guessing that he or she has been diagnosis'd with borderline personality disorder? How old is your difficult child? What other therapies or medications have been tried? Is there are genetic component?

Sharon