Did any of you see the Jaycee Dugard Interview Sunday?

DammitJanet

I watched it and was thoroughly impressed by this young lady. I know for a fact I could never have been as together as she is. I do not know how she does it. Obviously she has had some therapy and will continue to receive therapy but her take on life is just awesome. She left a powerful impact on me.

I also think her decision to keep her daughter's identity secret is a good one. They dont need to be thrown out there until they want to be known as the daughter's of Jaycee.

What did anyone else think?

Star*

call 911........call 911
She is quite a remarkable woman., who has been through hell, and I wished that the media would have left her alone. Bad enough what happened to her happened, although I guess without the book writing and the made for TV movies etc she wouldn't have funds to help her with therapy, and a way to live so I guess it was a necessary evil in her life once again.

With regards to her attitude? What she said is correct. He owned so much of her, he doesn't get to own her anger. Very true. The thing that I found absurd through the entire trials was that the wife of the molester who I felt was just as guilty, but once cornered? Did all the "I had no choice" **** -ONLY GOT 34 years for her roll in all of this for turning states evidence. I hope she lives out the rest of her natural life behind bars, getting counseling and never ever around children again. While I feel sorry for her situation if it was like she said? She could have helped Jaycee escape numerous times and never did. THAT I don't understand fully -

I'm glad it's over, I'm glad everyone is getting help, and I'm glad the man will never ever get out of jail.

Shari

IsItFridayYet?
I was so impressed with her few statements when she first escaped. She truly is a remarkable soul.

And I thought the press had done a decent job of leaving her alone...they didn't entirely, but I guess I did think they exercised some restraint in the whole thing...not hounding her for Enquirer photos, etc. Maybe I missed stuff tho.

I agree, Janet. Amazing young lady.

Suz

(the future) MRS. GERE
I had tears in my eyes the whole time. Jaycee was so composed that it was almost a relief when her Mom became a part of the show. I wanted to scream so I was glad that her Mom voiced the RAGE and terror and frustration and tears that both of them must have felt during those years.

I would not like to be the probation officer in the striped shirt whose face was fuzzed out but no doubt everyone who knows him could identify him by his shape and his voice. Shame on him and on everyone else who blew it on those myriad home visits. When the neighbors called and reported children playing in the yard, how could they have missed it then? :919Mad: It won't replace the years or the heartache but I am glad they got $20Million- that kind of restitution doesn't even come close, but at least I hope it gives some ease from financial strain. The book deal and interviews will help with that, too.

Jaycee was so simplistic in her speech and attitude and so full of "therapy-speak" that I wonder if she hasn't had a bit of arrested development and she won't explode later. It is not a criticism, just an observation. Did that occur to anyone else but me?

Suz

klmno

I didn't see it but caught a clip on the news about it. She is astounding- I can't imagine that I would have survived the ordeal without committing suicide or completely becoming psychotic as a means to escape, at least mentally. How she is able to be level-headed and be a good mother to those children is beyond me. But more power to her!

DammitJanet

Suz...I had that feeling to about the mother...I was glad to see someone was ticked off about the whole thing because I have been so horribly a victim for so many years..ya know? It kinda made me feel like I was weak or something. I was also relieved to hear that she was awarded that money..not that it is going to make up for what she went through but at least she wont have to worry about how to support herself right now. I mean the woman didnt get to go to school and all that..heck she just learned to drive.

I would so not like to be those probation officers.

Oh...one thing that did come out from watching this interview. I watched it at Jamie's and this show really impacted him. He is still working with the animal control and he made the comment that he probably goes into more houses than the cops do because people call him out to do rescues or removals of animals. He has decided to print out his counties sex offender registry and keep it in his truck so if he happens to go on a call to a house that is on that list he can check it to see if they are not supposed to have contact with kids and if he sees anything that shows a kid is there, he can call it in. Just to keep HIS eyes open.

Suz

(the future) MRS. GERE
Janet, I think this might be Jaycee's legacy...that (hopefully) all law enforcement officers will take a few extra minutes to make that extra check....be it the shed in the back yard or the sex offender roster from their county. Good for Jamie!

Suz

DammitJanet

Well...Jamie has a few of extra incentives...lol. His kids and his nieces and then he knows about me. He was sitting there almost in tears thinking about what he would do if it happened to one of them.

shellyd67

What an amazing woman with a beautiful spirit. I have it recorded and have only saw a few snip its. husband and difficult child watched it though.

difficult child told me the morning after he watched it that Garrido stun gunned Jaycee right in her own neighborhood. difficult child seemed scared.

I had my chat once again about stranger danger and safety. How the heck to explain to a kid he could get stun gunned on his own front lawn ?

difficult child called him a monster. He couldn't have found a better word ...

I am going to finish watching it. I does show how the human spirit can overcome almost anything ...

DammitJanet

I had to insist that my daughter in law take my almost 4 year old granddaughter up to bed during this interview because of the content. She didnt have the common sense to do so. She kept telling me that Hailie watches scary movies. I told her it wasnt a scary movie, it was about a real life event that involved something no 4 year old needed to know about. Billie kept saying well she needs to learn about it sometime...uhhh..not now. I dont think any of us need to know people can be kept in a tent for 18 years...sigh.

Shari

IsItFridayYet?
Suz, I wondered that, too, but the brief statements she gave early on carried the same overtones, so I'm not sure. I guessfrom what little I know and have seen, in my mind, she came to some level of acceptance and let go of anger on her own while still captive. And there's a great possibility i'm wrong.

DDD

I didn't watch that long interview but I did see a short one. The most amazing thing to me is that she was such a easy child and able to adapt at such a young age. I doubt there are many tweens who could have digested, acclimated, protected and survived. She was and is absolutely amazing. DDD

klmno

OMG, Janet- I remember taking issue with my mother when she wanted to watch Nancy Grace covering that little girl's case in FL who'd been snatched out of her bed by a pedophile during the night, held and abused, then buried alive....when difficult child and I were there, he was about 10yo, and we hadn't seen her in a year and had just arrived at her house. She refused to turn it off- her house, her rules. Fine, I took difficult child out of the room and played a board game with him. She told me the same thing "it's the real world, he'll have to learn things like this happen". Not as long as he's in elementary school- no kid that age needs to be worrying about things like that or learning about things like that. No darn wonder I had anxiety by the time I was a teen.

Your daughter in law sounds more and more like my mother all the time.

DammitJanet

I didnt even tell my kids about my own rape until they were adults. I didnt think they were old enough to handle something of that nature until they were grown. Now of course we did the whole privates thing where we talked about how you dont let anyone touch you were your bathing suit covers and if you are uncomfortable tell a teacher, adult or cop. We also told them to always look in a public place to look for a mom or dad with kids to yell for help.

klmno

I agree with that and did the same with my son. My son still doesn't know the worst, but definitely will before he ever has a child, just so he can protect the child from certain people. But, presumably, he'll be a little older and mature then. Yes, we did the "safe people to tell" about anything uncomfortable (tell Mom, school principal, therapist, or cop), what's appropriate and what isn't, etc, too. Those are healthy boundaries, in my humble opinion.