Did I overstep?

BusynMember1

I admire your guts and you most certainly did the right thing.

I sometimes think these doctors just pull a pill out of a hat and say "Here." Scary.

WiseChoices

Now DC2 is in with psychiatrist .I reminded her before of the list of substances I won't allow in my home and she said she got it .yesterday she had told me she was just going to rip up any prescriptions they gave her for class 2-4 controlled substances .on the car ride to psychiatrist, I told her that I am not comfortable with that and that I would her to tell them where she is currently living she cannot have addictive substances. She said "fine" and immediately texted someone. Then a few minutes later asked me what substances I won't allow .so apparently there was some kind of a plan and ripping it up would not solved the issue of accessing the drugs somehow .close call! I am so glad I set that boundary .Having to work for enforcing it, but so be it. Surprisingly , daughter has already been on there for 47 minutes. I used to time these appointments and within 7(!) Minutes she came out with prescriptions for Ativan, Klonopin, or Xanax . Until she had all 3 bottles at one point and threatened to kill herself with them.

WiseChoices

She came out with 3 prescriptions: Prozac at much higher dose than she has ever taken before , Wellbutrin, and an antihistamine for the anxiety. Supposedly thats non addictive. I am not too happy about it .I don't understand why both kids don't try meditation, yoga and breathing . That's what i do . I had found a generic benadryl in her backpack before when she came back from school, so she was already using that at school.

BusynMember1

Some of my relatives and husband's too are too severely afflicted with depression and anxiety not to take medication.

We are not lovers of medicine and most of them tried everything non medical first....therapy, running, breathing right, St. John's Wort, supplements, but they did not get better so most of them are on an antidepressant. I actually think that if Benadryl helps anxiety, its not a bad option. Infants can take it. The medicine is very safe and non addictive.

Unfortunately not everyone can get relief without medication. It sounds like the doctor is trying hard to avoid addictive drugs. To me, that means he is being sensitive and trying to do his best. I get anxious sometimes, but it's mild and I can just sit for a few minutes and calm myself. Kay gets panic attacks where she cries for help and sits in a corner with her head down. We have had to call the paramedics. Of course, the only treatment she will do is smoke pot. I'd feel better if she tried an antidepressant rather than be stoned (is that the word?) 24/7.

Good luck.

susiestar

Roll With It
Some of us have intractable depression (that is what the doctors call it). One medication alone just doesn't work. My son needed 3 different types of antidepressant before he was able to use non-medication therapies with any level of effectiveness. Right now I am on 3 types of antidepressant. Prozac for my depression, amitryptiline and trazodone at night to help me sleep and to help kick-start the prozac (I just went back on it a few days ago).