Did Santa bring you what you wanted? Any Strange Gifts?

Marcie Mac

Just Plain Ole Tired
The strange gift in our house - SO went to visit a friend to give her kids a little somthing, and called me on his way home for me to put up the dogs but wouldn't tell me why. Two senarios came to mind - he was either comming ih the door with a side of beef and felt the dogs were going to overwhelm him, or he was comming in the door with yet another critter.

They had found a parrot in their yard a while back, and gave it to him as a Xmas present - their boys couldn't keep it as they had cats. A very LARGE parrot in a very SMALL cage. The big dogs just stared at it, and my little JR went balistic. The bird is bigger than she is. We went to the pet store and got a little bigger cage, and then looked on line at Craig's list, went to the Humane Society to check to see if any lost birds reported, the local supermarket, the local papers - nothing about a bird, who is now called Yoda and is residing on my filing cabinet. It doesn't talk much - says hello and mumbles a lot. If it does talk, am sure its first learnt will be "Tillie, shut the he** up" or it will be imitating her bark.

I gave the boys a list of stuff that I wanted - mindful of their money, little things, scented candels, maybe a new iron, some kitchen utensels, scented bath stuff - Dan just started working, Jamie got himself into credit card he** and is trying to dig his way out. But they both went overboard on gifts for me and none of the little stuff I asked for. I felt like a little kid at Chrstmas LOL

It was a nice stressfree day, cooking to the sounds of rapping from one of the back rooms, and guns and bombs going off from the other two bedrooms playing their newest war games, the dog barking at the bird, and the other three barking at the barking dog, and Dex comming thru the kitchen at various times talking and laughing to himself

Just a normal household at Xmas.

Marcie

Suz

(the future) MRS. GERE
What a great day and terrific description, Marcie. I'm dogsitting Annie-the-15-pound-beagle and her barking is driving all of us up the wall. She makes my two seem like angels :) . Anyway, your description of the dog barking at the parrot and the other dogs barking at the barking dog is a reflection of what's been happening around here, too.

I'm glad the boys helped make your Christmas special.

Hugs,
Suz

meowbunny

I can think of a lot of things to get for Christmas that would be okay, but I think a parrot would most definitely be on my not okay list. Maybe Abbey could take it off your hands if you don't find the owner? I'm sure she'd love another bird and she is going to Vegas soon.

I love Nordstrom's. It is truly my favorite store in the whole, wide world. I love the service there. I the love the sales when they have them. I love the pampered feeling I get just walking into the Nordies. However, there is not a Nordies near me. Because of my own sensory issues, I cannot buy clothing without trying them on. And, if you know Nordies, there's not much there other than clothes. So, guess who gave me a really big gift card for Nordies? Who else but my mother! When I called and asked her to use it for herself because I truly couldn't, she suggested I fly back home and go on a shopping spree. Um, no, would rather drive 2-3 hours here or fly to Chicago or somewhere safe than back to the Northwest. Oh, well, at least it won't expire and I'm bound to be in the vicinity of Nordstrom's sometime in the next year or two.

hearts and roses

Mind Reader
Marcie, it sure sounds like a lovely day, bird mumbling and dogs barking as well! Sounds a lot like my house, minus the bird.

'Santa', aka H, bought me a GPS (!!!) and I am so excited I want to get myself lost just so I can try it out! Which isn't difficult for me to do, I can get lost in the neighborhood next door. Haha. And H also bought me a starter ink drawing set, which I really wanted. A while back I was thinking of the things I did before I had children and one was writing poetry and short stories and the other was ink sketches. I had mentioned it in passing to H and he remembered. I can't wait to get into it.

One of Santa's elves, aka easy child, bought me a beginner's crocheting book, a set of needles and some yarn in my favorite colors. She and I have been trying to coordinate a class and it just never works out, so I really love that she thought of this.

And Santa's other elf, difficult child, made H and I a lovely collection of old photos and put them in a really pretty collage frame - we love it. I marveled to myself how she must have really put some thought into it because she didn't have hardly any money. And she chose some of my favorite pics - I can't wait to find the perfect spot to hang it.

My neighbor came over to give us some of his leftover [delicious] Puerto Rican food and when I invited him in for a glass of wine, he accepted so we had a really nice visit with him. I feel so blessed to have such a nice neighbor.

H, easy child, difficult child and I all went to the movies early afternoon and saw Marley & Me. It didn't get great reviews, and I am not a big fan of Jen Aniston's acting, but it was a really nice movie - of course very funny and true to life and touching...and yes, a bit of a tear jerker at times. I never read the book, but I was told that the movie was very close to the book. Anyway, after the movies, difficult child went to sleep and easy child went to her boyfriend's parent's house so H and I had a bit of time to just chill which was very nice.

gcvmom

Here we go again!
So Marcie, welcome to the Bird owners' club! :rofl: Your new feathered friend's vocabulary might improve now that it's going to be around people (and barking dogs) all the time. If you want it to learn to cluck, just let me know... I'll bring MINE over!

We got suprise pets this year, too. easy child and difficult child 2 are the recipients of two Betta fish from my uncle's family. They each got a small tank with rocks in one bag and the fish in another -- they were very pleasantly suprised... and I'm thinking "Great! What's one more pet?"

MB, I love Nordstrom, too. It's not on my list of frequently shopped retailers anymore since becoming a stay at home mom and living on one income, but sometimes I get something good at their sales... and it's always a treat to just walk around the store and take it all in. I have been able to find hard-to-find bra sizes in our local N store, so that's been a bonus. Maybe you can find something on their website that you DON'T have to try on that you'd like for yourself.

Jo, I was thinking of going to see that movie today with my mom (since my in-laws are stopping back over before they leave town tomorrow) but was hesitant based on the review I'd read. Maybe we'll see that one afterall!

husband and I agreed to not exchange gifts this year because he bought not one, but TWO plasma/lcd TVs last summer, and even though it was bought on time with no interest, our finances are not great. He only spent one evening shopping this year (the 23rd), and that was to pick up a last minute S.C. gift for difficult child 2 that I specifically asked him to do, and he also got me some coffee beans and the "Mama Mia" dvd. That was a nice suprise. easy child also gave me a little photo clip that she purchased at her school's holiday boutique -- it was very sweet of her. My uncle got me for the gift exchange, and he gave me a gift card to a nursery that I don't usually go to since they're so expensive, so now I guess I have a reason to go there! The in-laws gave me ten bucks, and sister in law#1, who drew my name this year, gave me a lovely beaded necklace and earrings.

It was a very strange Christmas for us. We're accustomed to having a dozen or more people over to our house for a huge dinner and party. This year it was just us and three others. Plus it rained all day. While I enjoyed the relative calm (no pun intended), it would have been nicer to see all the people we didn't this year (my dad's too sick to travel, my brother has been absorbed by his in-laws-to-be, my other uncle's family went up north to go skiing with friends, yada, yada, yada).

husband said I should get up early and go to the after-Christmas sales today, but I really don't want to spend the money, and in all honesty, I don't really need anything. It's already past 9:30 this morning, and the whole house is still sleeping. I put the chicks out in their run since it's not raining today, I'm enjoying my coffee and the quiet. :D

Shari

IsItFridayYet?
I didn't get a bird. Not sure what I'd have done with a bird. Glad you like it tho!

I got the boxed set of Die Hard movies. I am not a tv person AT ALL, but have found now that we have dish, if those movies are on and a I catch them as someone is channel surfing (rarely me), I am drawn to them and glued there. Apparently both husband and easy child 1 noticed, because they both got them for me (I have to return one).

After much to-do about my Christmas list with Two Brooms (she makes us give her a list every year), I got a box of tupperware that was on sister in law's list (wasn't on mine). I did, however, also get $100 from her. It *momentarily* made me feel guilty for jumping her case Christmas morning, but I got over that quickly.

I rarely go to movies, too, but I want to go see Marley & Me. I loved the book.

We had a wonderful Christmas. It was just the 5 of us, very relaxing and then we went to the movies and saw Benjamin Buttons with Brad Pitt. That was such a good, feel-good, like a Forrest Gump type of movie. It was 3 hours long, I highly recommend it. husband gave me a gift cert, to my favorite resaurant, difficult child gave me a gift card to Bath and Body works- their big sale starts on the 29th so I'll go there then. My sister (who was the one suggesting no gifts for one another, or our kids), sent me a package from wine.com with champagne and Godiva....I feel bad, and better send her something. I hope everyone had a Merry Christmas!! Marcie, and JoG, it sounds like a great day! MB- You'll get there, you will, and the good news is that it doesn't expire.-Alyssa

donna723

We had a really nice Christmas, just my son and I. He got here about 7:00 pm on Christmas Eve and just left about an hour ago. Nobody went overboard on gifts this year, but I got him some badly needed clothes, some really nice cologne (marked $55, I got it for $35!:D) and gave him some money, which he always can use. I really wasn't expecting anything from him because right now he may or may not be laid off but, less his heart, he remembered something I said I wanted a while back ... he got me a Dremel tool set! I have wanted one for so long but never got around to getting one! They're super for doing the dogs nails, and now I won't have to get them in a headlock and wrestle them to the floor!

My daughter and sister in law called from South Carolina and we talked to them for a long time. They sent me a really nice 20-piece kitchen knife set, the kind that fits into a wooden block on the counter. They also sent a beautiful mug with a Boston Terrier on it and a mouse pad with a Boston, and nice shirts and some DVD movies that he wanted for my son. I'm so happy ... they were thrilled with the gifts we sent them! She's expecting her first baby in May and hadn't bought many maternity clothes. So I sent her some nice t-shirts and other things. And I bought 30+ little baby items, wrapped each item seperately in pink or blue tissue, put it all in one big box, and gift wrapped the box. They had so much fun opening all the little parcels inside.

All in all, we had a really nice Christmas, and next year we hope to be with them at their house in South Carolina!

susiestar

Roll With It
Every year I show husband the gifts I get at garage sales, sales, things I make, etc... as we acquire them.

And EVERY year husband goes into a tizzy because "we don't have any gifts for anyone" when I am usually wrapping the last few. The first Christmas after Jessie was born I had to OPEN all the gifts so husband could see them. THEN we re-wrapped. So now he believes me but still worries.

It is pretty funny. The most confusing gift was a set of 4 metal blocks that looked like they would make a pyramid (not the smooth sided kind of pyramid, the ones with-gradually smaller squares on top of each other) if you arranged them next to each other.

They are to put under a table or chair to stabilize them. Wiz MADE them in his machinist program!!!

I got the families' funniest present. a pair of thong underwear (no, I will NOT wear them to show a "whale tail" or even at ALL!). On the front of the thong it has "Are you Lonesome Tonight" and someone's signature.

My mom and our neighbor/adopted Gma bought it for me at the Englebert Humperdink concert they went to! (I planned to go, but was very ill). MM, adopted Gma, is a big fan, as was my mom. This was a chance for us to have a "Girls outing" and I may have missed it, but I got a thong from it! Picked out by my 89yo Gma!!! We had a great laugh!

and Wiz got 2 shirts - 1 says "I do what the rice krispies tell me to" and the other (my fave) says "What if the Hokey Pokey Really IS what it is all about?" Have to laugh at that, in my opinion!!

I hope you all have a totally wonderful Christmas break1

Andy

Susie, I so need a rice krispie shirt for difficult child. He would rather have rice krispies than any other cereal. LOL!

I see a tradition starting with husband's gift to me. Four years ago, my neighbor introduced me to Baileys. A little background on me: I do not drink! I will have an occasional sip or two (and I do mean sip) at a meal when others have wine, but I just do not like alcohol. I decided that I like Baileys. I went out and purchased a little package of some individual ones. difficult child was so concerned that I had started drinking that he made sure husband saw it and was a little confused when husband didn't get concerned. So, now, at Christmas Eve, I get a bottle of Irish Creme and Christmas Day I get individual Baileys.

The main gifts Christmas Eve for the kids were bed sheets. They were very happy for them. difficult child bought each of us gifts. He spent $5 on each of us. I got a cup, a box of chocolate covered cherries, and a penguin shaped chocolate.

Christmas evening, difficult child and I saw Bedtime Stories at the local theater. We both enjoyed it. I will most likely get the DVD of it.

Today, I spent the morning shopping with a friend. After lunch, difficult child and I did a paper route for someone.

We had a good holiday in our home.

Marguerite

I'd love to see a picture of that parrot. Do you know what kind it is?

There are some great websites tat can teach you how to look after your parrots, we use Talkbudgies.com. difficult child 3 is a member there although he doesn't post very much. We learned a great deal and now have very happy budgies who have the run of the house. They go to bed in their cage at the end of the day but otherwise spend most of their day in my sunny bathroom, their playgym standing on a stool. husband made the play gym for them, I can highly recommend one (ours is small). It needn't cost much, we made ours out of fallen timber in the backyard, fastened to a board a foot square. I've attached some home-made toys to it, including a Beijing Olympics McDonalds toy I found. Plus a small tube, which we fill with water and put budgie-safe flowers and leaves into. The main hassle for me, is if I'm putting on makeup in my bathroom, the boy budgie (he's hand-tame) will fly down and perch on my head, so he can get a better look at himself in the mirror. He then tries to nibble my eyebrows. Or if I'm on the loo, he will fly down and want to play with me. A bit disconcerting. I've been sitting there reading a book, to find a budgie perched on my book. Or if I'm doing a puzzle, he wants to attack the pencil.

The weirdest gift I got this year was an iDog. I thought it was just a cute way of having iPod speakers, but the blasted thing is apparently also like a Tamagotchi, in tat it makes noises, it barks, it whines, it growls and flashes certain lights depending on how it's feeling. I suspect it will chew through the batteries fast.

A couple of weeks before Christmas, I put a bid in on a silent auction (a fundraiser) for a painting I've wanted for a long time - and got it! The amount I bid was about half what it had been offered for sale, unfinished at the time, when it was first painted three years ago. And even then, it was cheap. So husband said that I already had my gift from him, and he would claim it also as my gift to him, we weren't to get each other anything for Christmas because I'd already spent it! I offered to immediately send it to a Sydney gallery where it would undoubtedly fetch five times what I paid for it; somehow he didn't want to do that. I think he likes it too.
I had been nagging husband to buy some shares while the market is so low, but now I've spent any money we'd have used on shares. This is my alternative to investing in the share market.
The problem is, you can't get emotionally attached to shares.

I know it makes us sound very rich and exclusive - nup. Just lucky. Plus our PM gave us A$1000 with the instruction to spend it all fast. It's our government's reaction to the world financial crisis - inject money into the economy and make sure the money goes into circulation, fast like an adrenalin shot. So they targeted the poorest and neediest people in Australia - pensioners and carers - and gave us a thousand bucks each. All a month before Christmas. Our notification of it only arrives two days before Christmas, but others got it ages ago. Last heard, it's been working - we've had record spending this Christmas. I believe that if this doesn't work enough, they have another possible release coming up.

Of course, you can imagine how the opposition politicians are reacting to this tactic... the trouble for them, though, is this seems to be working.

Marg

Jena

HI

A bird, I love it. lol. :) I"m glad that your christmas went so incredibly well.

Mine was a little rough on difficult child, i posted on general board about it. xmas eve was great i got to see all 3 of my brothers which i love.

I got alot of stuff this year which totally surprised me. boyfriend really took his time I was truly shocked. I got Mary Poppins movie, it was my favorite when I was a little kid so yup I cried when I opened it, boots I wanted, a beautiful diamond necklace the circle of life ones, a beautiful new watch (mine broke), and a great big planner for my new job, I got 4 cd's for my car rides to work, he got me all the old music i talked about that i listed to when i was just a teenager, and new bra's and underwear lol. He's prepping me for work mode. :) He really took his time this year picking out my gifts I was touched I really was. oh, and a crock pot ive been dying for so i can cook when i'm at work.

my little difficult child made me the most beautiful thing in art class, it is something for my jewelry every year she makes me a new one I absolutely adore them, his boyfriend's son got me a notepad for my new job that says #1 step mom. he's my favorite of his 3 by the way. :) others got me little things. easy child got me nothing, surprise surprise lol.

Fran

Former desparate mom
As odd as it seemed my husband bought me some sort of plastic lid that you press on with your fist to create a seal. He thought it was neat. I looked at him like he was nuts. My mother thought they were great. LOL.
difficult child got me a talking wireless meat thermometer. I wanted a meat thermometer but this is pretty cool. 10 degrees before the set temp. it says "your meal is almost done".

It was a low key and reasonable holiday. No parrots though.

Stella Johnson

Fran,
I saw those lids at Bed Bath and Beyond. I almost bought them. I thought they were cool too. They fit on any container and I am constantly losing the lids to my plastic stuff. You can regift them to me.:D

SO gave me a lambskin leather coat with a fox fur collar. It's beautiful. He also gave me the best pj's from Victoria's secret. They are the "girlfriend" pajamas and a new digital camera. He's not very imaginitive so I give him a list every year and he usually just buys everything on it. He did well with the jacket. I just asked for a leather coat.
SO's mom gave me 4 new work outfits that are just beautiful and his sister gave me a bath set. She gets me one every year.

Nothing really weird this year. No birds or strange animals. 4 dogs is my limit.:alien:

Steph

Nancy

We all agreed on a low key holiday too. I told the girls not to spend more than $20 on us. I got a lovely coat scarf from difficult child and a work out dvd I wanted from easy child. We scaled back our gifts to them and to each other. I got husband a new travel suit bag reg price $500, on sale for $100 at Jos Banks. He got me a contraption that I can transfer my old movies to dvd with (that will keep me busy for months).

Nancy

Wiped Out

Staff member
husband surprised me with a nice new wool coat (not full length but just what I wanted). He heard me saying about two weeks ago how I really needed a new coat but I certainly didn't expect him to buy me one for Christmas. He does like to surprise me.

KTMom91

Miss KT is taking photography this year, and she gave both me and Hubby framed photos she'd taken and developed. There were three photos in each frame, all ocean/beach views...very nice work. I hope she continues it.

Hubby got me a red jacket, black fuzzy boots (like Uggs), and surprised me with a Lambie blanket from Bath and Body Works. That blanket is so soft and warm...I love it.

The boys and mother in law are all getting together and finishing the remodel of our garage. Son #2 and I are on the same page with Hubby's habit of starting a major project and leaving it in the middle...it drives us both absolutely crazy. mother in law is putting in funds, the boys and Hubby will do the work, #1 is an electrician so that's covered, and there will finally be somewhere to neatly put all this cr@pola that is invading my 800 square foot house. I can hardly wait for them to get started!

Lothlorien

I have to say that I was pleasantly suprised this year, by someone that I never expected to be surprised by. husband's uncle....the biggest difficult child and black sheep....usually gives junk. One year I actually got a smelly Halloween sweatshirt that even had a stain on it from him. He's had a drug problem for years. He's been straight for 8 months now. He actually saved some of his money and bought each of us (ladies) a Pointsetta. I was really touched. He hasn't been around us on the holidays for the past couple of years, which has been a blessing, because he was so negative all the time, but he's actually changed quite a bit and was pleasant and positive.