Did Smoking make me happy ?

shellyd67

Ok, so as some of you may know, I quit smoking 66 days ago. I did it cold turkey due to a health scare.

Turns out, I am OK (thank goodness) but I decided to not begin smoking again.

I am bumming out about it though.

It is all I think about and I feel a little depressed over it.

So I wonder did it make me feel happier in some strange, screwed up way ?

Sigh...

How bout you all ? Anyone feel this way after quitting ? If so, how long did it take to get back to yourself ?

Thanks !

witzend

I had to quit smoking due to a blood clot in my lung. Not a method I would recommend. It took a long time to recover, and I mostly missed the sitting and smoking and watching TV. I ended up taking up counted cross stitch. It really kept my mind and hands going. I did that for several years. I hardly miss it at all anymore.

I hope that you will not start again. Maybe a session with a hypnotherapist might help you get over this hump? Smoking isn't the fix, to be sure.

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
My biggest issue is when I am bored. And arts and crafts used to be when I smoked.

And, yes, it DID make you "happy" - nicotine messes with the brain's pleasure center. REALLY messes with it.

Please don't start again - just think - you can TRULY BREATHE now!!!

shellyd67

Don't worry ladies, I have no plans on starting again. Step, I am glad you mentioned that it does mess around with your pleasure center of the brain.

That makes sense. I have been watching what I eat too.

I just feel like all my old vices made me a happy camper.

I told husband that I need to make working out my addiction. LOL

I do alot of reading and I pick at sunflower seeds when I feel the urge. That does help.

Thanks for the input.

Jody

After years of smoking the urge just doesn't go away right away. There are still moments after 6 years that I wish for a cigarette, though I really don't want to smoke. After an incident with difficult child about three years after quitting, I went out and got a pack and I sat on my back porch and I smoked at least half that package of cigarettes, one right after another. Oh my goodness, it made me sick and pretty much cured me of wanting another cigarette. Sometimes even now it seems like I should light up after supper or getting in the car. I haven't had bronchitis, or any excessive coughing at all. I can breathe and it feels good. Think about the price of cigarettes, no way could I even afford them, so I thank God I don't smoke.

A cigarette always made me relax. I have since learned to relax, occastionally without the smoke. It's hard the first year though, but you can do it!!!!!:)

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
I dunno about the messing with your brain part.........

But I do know the few times I attempted to quit cold turkey after a certain point I just became vicious, no joke.

This time it's a very gradual process. I'm keeping busy around the house and putting it off. I keep my hands busy while sitting with crochet or something similar. Mine is a nervous habit, so I have to find ways to fill the nervous habit gap. Unless I'm having a really really bad day.......I'm down from 2 packs a day to under a pack a day, which is pretty good. I'm working on making that even less. That I can stretch needing one out to 4 hrs is pretty darn awesome for me.......as long as my hands are busy doing something.

I couldn't do that before the chantix trial. When I couldn't get the script refilled I was determined I would NOT go back to smoking the way I did before. If I could do several hours with the darn medication, then I could teach myself (untrain the habit) to go at least that long without the medication. So far it's working for me although the process is much much slower. And I've discovered the ADD/ADHD behavior is back as I can't sit still for nothing, I have to be doing something.

If I could get that far along without one, honestly........I'd be so proud of myself I'd never pick up one again. I don't like habits controlling me, I don't care what they are. I might not ever completely quit.....hard to tell at this stage, but it won't control me anymore, period. I like smoking, I enjoy it, and that makes it really hard to stop the habit.

Be proud of yourself and find new interests to replace the old expensive habit.

Hugs

Suz

(the future) MRS. GERE
Shelly, I found that I grieved the loss.

I know that sounds ridiculous but it was mentioned at one of the many stop-smoking programs I flunked out of before I quit as a potential psychological side effect and when I finally did quit it really rang true for me.

Who/what else kept you company wherever and whenever you needed, without judgement, at any time day or night?

Smoking gave me an excuse to collect my thoughts for a moment, to "hide" if I needed to, and it gave me something to do when I wanted to avoid doing something else. It really upset many facets of my life and 38 years of habit to give up smoking. It was one of the most difficult things I've ever done and I am very proud of it. It's been 9 years and one day since I had my last cigarette. It hasn't been easy and there are many times when I exit a building and see smokers congregating that I will walk over to them and breathe IN. :)

I am proud of you for your accomplishment. It is huge! Like changing habits and grieving other losses, it takes time to move on. Good luck!

Suz

witzend

I wanted to add that the nice thing about the counted cross stitch was not only did it take a great deal of concentration that became almost zen-like, you have to keep your hands VERY clean, or else your fabric gets grimey. So, it was kind of a good diet, too. Every time you'd eat, you'd have to super wash your hands before you can go back to your work. And I always like to finish a thing, so I'd do "a flower" or "a window". There might be 50 stitches in a flower with 5 different colors. It could keep me going for an hour or two.

flutterby

Fly away!
Smoking effects dopamine, so it does create a pleasurable effect, and it can cause depression when quitting. I read an article several years ago about this and why it's harder for people who suffer from depression to quit smoking.

H

HaoZi

To add to that, because of brain wiring it's also more difficult for women to quit than men.

InsaneCdn

Shelly -

Any chance that you are ADD/ADHD?

I'm serious. 'Cause it runs in my family (see sig, then multiply by at least 100).
People with undiagnosed ADD or ADHD tend to self-medicate, and the most common substances used are...
- caffeine
- nicotine
- alcohol
- marajuana
- cocaine

See the common thread?

Just a thought.

keista

Insane, I was thinking about this thread and thought the same thing you just posted. Of course, I was thinking in reference to myself. I do not have ADD, but might qualify for one of the six 'variants' (Dr Amen). Read his book years ago.

For me the 'hook' is anxiety. When that's in controll, I can go for hours without even thinking about a smoke. Unfortunately I only realise the fact when I'm reaching for my next one.

Keep strong shelly! You have been very inspiring to me and I'm working harder in following your footsteps. Hopefully sooner than later.

shellyd67

Insane, no chance of ADHD. I am a super duper multi tasker and am as organized as humanly possible, always complete a task , etc..

I was an unfortunate habit I started as a young adult (cause all my friends did) and then when I met husband he smoked and it became a thing we did together while having our long intimate conversations. LMAO

Anyhow, I just miss it is all. Smoking was a part of my life for many years and I just need to retrain myself.

I am sure it will get easier and easier as the days go on.

Thanks girls

witzend

Smoking for most people is a self-medication thing. I keep trying to get the guy I work with to consider not smoking. Not pushing it, but "Why don't girls go out with me?" "Because you smell like an ashtray?" More subtle, of course. "I'm broke." "Quit smoking." You ALWAYS know when he's stressed because out he goes for the smoke. I was a pack and a half a day smoker, and I had my ritual cigs, plus my stress cigs. That was a lot of cigs.

Star*

call 911........call 911
I'm glad you have made a choice NOT to start smoking again. It was my opinion that the first five years were the hardest. The second five were when I started to notice (no offense to any smokers here) that people that smoked had a certain smokers smell. Can't really put a finger on it, it just made me think to myself OMG did I smell like that? I am so sorry, and went around apologizing to everyone I smoked around that complained when I smoked, and said SHUT UP to because I couldn't smell the smell they smelled and complained about. It was NOT just the smoke smell. It was the tar smell maybe? I dunno. But even now? When I'm taking in donations at the GW? I can tell the smokers stuff from the non-smokers stuff like (snap) whether it's clothing or household items. Pretty amazing to me is that DF has quit for a year and he's even more acute to it than I was. It only took him a year to stand next to a woman who is a heavy smoker and have to move because of the smell of her clothes and hair. I was actually surprised. He can't smell anything. (several broken facial bones and nose so many times we can't count)

HOWEVER........even after having been quit for I think 11 years maybe 12 -----the past weeks learning to drive again after a six month hiatus in the semi truck? The regular driver that is training me for the route? Has lit up a couple times and I'm sure for his nerves (well it's been six months) and I have to tell you - honestly it smelled good. Now when the boss goes with me? She hasn't lit up in the cab and I don't do near as well - lol....So I'm thinking maybe it's the cigarette smoke ROFLM marlboros off. OR rather HIS .....I even offered to pull over and buy him extra cigarettes as part of my training. AHEM. He said no thanks....the last 1/2 lit one and the one while we dropped and hooked? Plenty. lol. So yeah - I think they calm you. My driving was significantly better AFTER he got done with his smoke. And this is from someone who would gag if I even smelled it three doors down.......outside.

I did see the new electronic / vapor exhale cigarette in motion today and MAN was it cool. No lasting effects.......can be smoked indoors......and while I swear I thought it smelled like a cigarette, and it comes in flavors? They swear it was just me. The vapor is just water but it looks like smoke.

KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK.

H

HaoZi

I still smoke some but even when I was smoking two packs a day, I could tell you if someone smoked a different brand from the one I'm using at the time. I hoped for a long time smoking would kill or dull my sense of smell to the point I wouldn't gag at a lot of normal everyday smells. Twenty years and I can still tell you if someone is smoking a different brand.