Did you hear about Adam Lambert at american music awards? *Graphic Content *

DammitJanet

OMG...His performance was awful. Maybe if it was on some cable channel but it was on regular tv. He simulated oral sex with guys, kissed guys on the mouth, did so much raunchy stuff it was disgusting and I dont get disgusted easily!

Isnt he still under a contract with Idol? I am surprised they arent jumping out of their chairs!

here is the link...the only one I can find. Its huge but if you pull it over to about 1:00...which yes is an hour in to the video...you can get to his performance which is the ending act. They had him as the finale to get the ratings. OMG...I am so shocked! His song was named For Your Entertainment!

Ok...that didnt work...sigh. Oh...its html...we cant do that. [ame="http://www.megavideo.com/?v=5Q8QTC8K"]MEGAVIDEO - I'm watching it[/ame]

Lothlorien

I stopped watching it when Janet Jackson grabbed the crotch of one of her dancers. My kids were in the room and I blew a gasket that they allow this kind of thing on something that should be "Family TV" I probably won't ever watch this show again.

By the sounds of Adam Lambert's performance, I'm glad I didn't watch it.

gcvmom

Here we go again!
I read a snippet of the report on MSNBC. There's just one more reason why my kids don't watch primetime TV!

DammitJanet

I watched it one more time and looked very closely. He not only did a simulated oral sex with a guy, he dragged around another guy on a leash, he got humped in the rear by another guy and he sat on a chair and simulated fingering a female dancer. Oh and lets not forget his french kissing of another male dancer.

I didnt particularly like him on Idol and I really dont like him now. I hope this doesnt get him the reaction he hoped for. ABC needs to have repercussions from someone for allowing this. The had to approve this choreography.

KTMom91

We changed the channel early to watch the news, and saw most of the performance. Just one more reason I rarely watch network TV as well. What was someone thinking, to OK that during prime time? I felt it was beyond inappropriate for family viewing. Did he think it would sell some records?

totoro

Mom? What's a difficult child?
Didn't see it and yep this would be why we DVR anything the girls watch and they almost only watch PBS, Discovery Kids, HBO family and things like this... N sneaks in SpongeBob on occasion much to my dismay...
A lot of Primetime shows blow me away because of what they show at the times they show them.
I am no prude, but for a lot of people who do not want their kids to see this stuff, what are the options besides turning the TV off... which isn't a bad thing. Especially if they do not have cable.
I am lucky that the girls don't watch much TV.

Janet I LOVE your detailed explanation... I don't need to watch it now. ;)

DammitJanet

Well...there are a couple of nice things on the video. Carrie Underwood is on there! She is always good in my book...lol. Taylor Swift won an award and accepted from London I believe. She was very gracious.

Nancy

I saw his performance on you tube before they took it down for copywrite reasons. It was awful. I didn't much like him on idol either Janet, but now I really don't. He claimed he was just entertaining and showing freedom of expression. I hope he has freedom from jobs now. I would think anyone would be afraid to book him for fear of what he may do spontaneously. The awards producer said he did not do any of those things in rehearsal. He is too far over the top for me. He may have talent but he appeals to a certain segment.

I do think ABC should be fined.

Nancy

donna723

They said that he was scheduled to appear on Good Morning America but ABC cancelled it! Good for them! That's not what I want to see while I'm drinking my first cup of coffee!

SRL

My preteen daughter was watching the award program with her dad, but he stepped out of the room shortly before Adam Lambert was on so I am horrified that she saw the whole thing. Most of the sex stuff went over her head except for kissing the male band member. I'd known he had some out there stuff from before Idol but I never dreamed he'd jump so far over the line on his debut performance. Obviously we'll be using more caution in the future.

His album released the next day. We probably would have bought his CD for my daughter for Christmas but I won't even encourage her after that. His album is #5 on itunes right now so he won't miss us.

Good Morning America did cancel his morning performance, specifying concerns. Since it was also ABC I figure they were letting him know they were still in charge.

DammitJanet

Im glad your dtr didnt understand most of what she saw SRL. Ugh. I can just imagine trying to have that conversation! Well honey, no, its not normal to drag your friends around by dog collars. And no, its not nice to have a boy hump you from behind! Ugh.

susiestar

Roll With It
I didn't like him on Idol, he just seemed phony somehow. This was a stupid stunt to pull. Many young fans will not be given or allowed to purchase his cds because most of America is still not okay with what he shoved down our throats with his stunts. This kind of performance may cut it in some markets, on some stages. But for mass consumption by most of America, it just will offend too many people.

Americans are funny. We can accept 2 girls like Britany and Madonna. Or even that Katie Perry song. But 2 guys? even simulated it will make too much of us uncomfortable. It is also very bad when much of your audience will still be living at home with parents who will see this and go searching to make sure you don't bring it into your home.

I have no problem with such things as he did between consenting adults. In their homes or in places for adults. But not on tv that comes into so many homes. ABC is probably furious and bogged down in complaints.

It was just RUDE of him. And tacky.

DammitJanet

And now he is whining that it is discrimination because we wouldnt be so upset if Madonna pranced around and kissed her male band members or acted out sex acts. Well...she did act sexually out there for the times back in the 80s but she wasnt actually imitating acts in the details he did it. Yes some videos come close but they are on MTV which we can choose to block.

BusynMember

I didn't like him on Idol (the little that I watched Idol) and like him less now. He isn't gracious at all, always whining discrimination.

My daughter thinks he's disgusting. She didn't see it, but, if she had, she would NEVER have watched it. She makes me turn off stuff like that. I can only imagine what my Asperger's son would have said. He is very self-righteous...lol.

I think that if he keeps behaving this way his career will be destroyed. Then, again, you never know what some kids will like and buy. And once they're older, like eighteen, they can buy what they want...but for me it was a...big ick.:sick:

Abbey

Spork Queen
hmm. Didn't see the performance. Can't find it online. But, he reminds me of George Michael of Wham. A bit eccentric and extremely talented.

Susie is correct. Somehow we tolerate two women making out, but when it comes to guys...we squirm. I'm not saying that I approve or disapprove, it's just a lop-sided way of thinking.

Prime time might not have been the best slot to air this. Somebody's bootie is in the sling for that choice. Adam, on the other hand, will come out huge for breaking bad. You just watch and see. People like rebels, but will chastise them in public to make a good game face.

He's made his mark. Actually, a pretty darn good marketing move.

Abbey

BusynMember

I personally don't want to see two women or two men making out and I voted "yes" for gay marriage.

However, I'm sure many kids will like him for being bold.

Lothlorien

ABC pulled it off Youtube for copyright reasons. You can find his rehearsal videos, however. It's interesting how there was none of his raunchy performance in his rehearsal. He did that on purpose.

ABC cancelled his performance on Good Morning America.

I don't necessarily trust ABC or any of the networks. I wonder if they knew and expected the backlash from it.

muttmeister

I did see it and I have to admit that, although I thought it was a little over the top, I didn't have the reaction you all did. I did think to myself that I was glad I no longer had little kids around who might be watching but I really have to wonder what kind of parents had little kids watching at 11 PM on a show that also featured people like Eminem and Lady Gaga (I like them too). Did they not have a clue that there would probably be something controversial, especially after the way it was hyped (they said stay tuned for a shocking performans by Adam Lambert or something to that effect). If people spent as much time fuming over the controversial things going on in the world (the debate over health insurance, the environment, the situation with the terrorists, the wars ) the worle would be a better place.

Last edited:

DammitJanet

Im fuming over those things too mutt but I dont fume here...lol. Well not often.

If ABC advertised that they knew it was going to be shocking then there goes their defense that they didnt know. They had to know. Besides, isnt everything on a 5 second delay now ever since Janet Jacksons boob debacle? They could have bleeped it.

I dont think very small kids would have noticed. I think its the teens who would notice and get off on it and I think they are the impressionable ones who dont need to see it. I have become so conservative in my old age...lol. After seeing what is happening in the world today, I think we need to go backwards instead of forwards in what is allowed..ok...now allowed...but in what we want to do. Maybe self policing of ourselves. Not that someone should tell us we cant do something but not doing it because we think not doing it is the right thing to do.

I am huge gun rights believer but I dont think we need automatic weapons. No one is going out to kill a deer or an elk or a moose with an AK 47. Just not happening. Thats an assualt rifle. Meant for one thing. I have no problem with people who want to hunt or protect themselves with regular shotguns and hunting rifles or handguns but automatic weapons with cop killer bullets are just wrong.

Glorifying violence in movies and videos and video games is just wrong to me now. Its so sadistic now. Harsher than it was in the beginning.

Young kids are doing such horrible stuff now. Makes me sad.

I dont know...I just worry for all of us.

Star*

call 911........call 911
Well I got as far as Lady GaGa and her vodka bottle d*** inuendo and that was enough for me. ABC - Just trash. I had to go check out the Adam Lambert thing here and well...the whole thing was raunchy, but Abbey makes a point in asmuchas okay for girls not okay for guys. Personally I don't even care to see a man and a woman make out so it's not like I'm against one or the other or both.

I watched it a few times and except for him having the men on a leash, pushing the insinuated oral sex thing with the stage guy are we sure that the keyboard player isn't a butch looking woman he's kissing? I'm not sure that's a guy. I don't care - because when they panned to the audience? There was no clapping, swaying or "Oh lets look in the crowd for shots." Which you would typically do IF it were a good show. The cameras drew back, got a few distant shots, and then kept up close because if you do catch the distant shots panning? There is just shock - and awe and no one is rocking or swaying to the music or clapping or anything. Even when it's over? If you really WATCH the audience's reaction? You don't see them applauding - you hear clapping - but it's odd - it's almost like it's piped in or dubbed in.

I think it was a marketing kill shot. I think someone said - Hey Lady GaGa is giving it all to the gays right now and she's very popular but she's different. It works for her. I'm not sure how, because I think she's really strange - despite being gay or bi - she's comes off like a very angry young person. I don't think this really worked for him. Could be wrong if he's really bi. It reminded me of that bumper sticker - That look you were going for? Ya missed.

I don't know. I didn't see too much that left their crotches uncovered. Leaves me wondering if everyone has crabs...just nasty. :ashamed: and itchy.

Last edited by a moderator: