Did You Know?

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
That a 16 oz mug of coffee with 4 tsp sugar and 4 tsp creamer (omg I'd never use that much creamer!) is half the calories of an 8 oz glass of pepsi? :mornincoffee:

That working out on an elliptical machine burns 3 times as much calories (not to mention works out more muscle groups) as brisk walking on / off a treadmill for the same amount of time? And I'm talking walking so fast on the darn thing you might as well be jogging. But I refuse to jog, too hard on the knees and ankles. Can't you guess which workout machine is now my fav? lol Cuz you burn about as much with the bike as you do walking.

That you can burn 70 calories doing moderate cleaning for an hour? I can't wait to find out how much vigorous cleaning would be. lol

That it might not be a great idea to work out for 90 mins then go walk / shop at an outlet mall for 3 hrs.....probably adding in another couple of miles of walking........ Yeah, came home and took a NAP. :imok:

I'm doing pretty good I think. I've lost 2 whole pounds. (I know, not a huge deal) But I can now do both the elliptical and the treadmill for 30 mins each. I start on the treadmill for 15 mins to get warmed up, then move to the elliptical for 15 mins (about then muscles tend to start cramping) then back to the treadmill for 15 mins, and go finish off the last 15 on the elliptical. I am determined to eventually build myself up to an hour on the elliptical, like those folks who have at least a decade on me. lol Moving to the treadmill when my muscles begin to cramp is the only way I can work out the kinks to be able to do that last 15 on the elliptical. Then I do a half hour strength training with their weight equipment. They have one machine that I can use that is THE only way I can even consider doing sit ups with out having my side muscles slide on top of each other causing me to scream bloody murder. (after effect of major kidney surgery some 25 yrs ago)

I'd probably have lost more than 2 lbs, except I'm still having water weight issues, which for me is fairly normal. But I'm going to need to see if the Lasix dose needs increased again. And I'm adjusting to "normal" portions of what I'm eating. For the most part.....I'm staying under what I should be each day for food intake. I won't know if I lost this week until after my water pill kicks in later this morning. I won't take it before the workout for obvious reasons.

Having easy child as a workout buddy helps. You feel more obligated to get up and go even on days when you don't want to just because someone else is counting on you to go with them. Since I get up anywhere from 5:30 am to 6am to go to the gym......and I am NOT a morning person......I need that buddy system. lol

I already see my energy levels rising, my general outlook / mood lifting.

I'm considering coloring my hair to get rid of the white. (I don't get gray, it comes in pure white) I'm going to try this Olay facial hair removal cream. Otherwise, I'm going to be shaving soon, I can't keep up with the plucking. And just my luck it's the darkest coarsest hair in the world, so no covering it with makeup and pretending it's not there. Considering wearing makeup again for the first time in ages.

easy child is doing fantastic. She's lost nearly 30 lbs and it SHOWS! She's determined it's a lifestyle change. (looks like I finally got through to her) And you have to remember she has hyperthyroidism that is just barely controlled so this is huge.

Nichole now plans to join a gym near her and made a happy discovery that her neighbor friend who is fairly heavy.......actually belongs to a gym and has been working on losing weight, so she'll have a work out buddy. Her mother in law, the lady with the horrific lymphedema in her legs so bad I've often wondered how she can walk.......has lost 50 lbs with weight watchers and curves. I'm so glad she's done curves because I'm sure she'd have had a heart attack trying it on her own at a gym. Both Nichole and I are so proud of her, she never said a word to anyone, just went and signed up one day. The weight loss will help the lymphedema, but she still needs to be treated for it, I hope she goes in soon. And because his mom lost 50 lbs, Nichole's husband is suddenly motivated to get back into shape, he was getting rather pudgy with some major love handles going on. :) So he's not pulling the I'm so cheap you can't do anything over the gym for Nichole.

I'm beginning to think fitness can be catching. lol I want to see how many times I can take a guest so Travis can come with me and easy child. Because I couldn't do a family membership, he's too old and I can't afford a membership for him too.

So.........those are my ramblings as I sit here drinking my coffee waiting for the gym to open. :rofl:

hearts and roses

Mind Reader
Well, Lisa, you've inspired me! Congratulations on getting fit and spreading the bug!! I'm so happy and proud of you for taking care of yourself! The number on the scale, so I hear, is not what matters. What matters is how you feel, your energy levels, the quality of the food you ingest, your habits. by the way, are you still smoking?

Seriously, once I'm up and about like normal, I am joining WW and of course will be walking a lot to keep my knee in motion. Very inspiring!

DDD

Boy, Hound, you're doing a much better job than I am! I am going to the gym three times a week for one hour visits but I sure have to practice self discipline to keep the schedule. So far I am just spending the hour on the treadmill and haven't tried any other machines. Wimp!

I have gained weight in the past six/eight weeks due to my change in diet. I met my weight goal by doing low carb and basically eating cheese, meat and salads (often with meat and cheese, lol). Once the Dr. identified the high cholesterol I am trying to avoid the things that I had focused on for weight loss. Sigh. The only dietary change that I have stayed true to is only having Shredded Wheat and fresh fruit for breakfast! I like having a "no brainer" to start the day.

Wish I had a gym partner. I completely enjoyed Curves years ago and had alot of results. Our Curves, however, closes early (six or seven, I think) and is only open Saturday AM's. That doesn't work with my schedule since we work 5.5 days a week. Sigh. They have Zumba there now too and even thought I would probably be the oldest by far...I think I'd love that.

Lead the way. Some of us are following. Hugs and congrats. DDD

H

HaoZi

Look into interval training, too. Then you'll keep burning MORE calories AFTER the workout than you do now, too. :)

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
DDD, you're no wuss. It took me more than a week I think to even consider touching that elliptical machine. I was idiot enough to try it the first time in the gym.....and omg it felt so foreign and I couldn't do 3 mins, no kidding. It's taken me 3 wks to get up to 30 mins on the thing.......and you see how I have to do it. lol Most of that time I'd telling myself "ok, just 5 mins, if you can do 5 mins we're good" then when I reach the 5 mins, I do it again with 5 more mins. But so far I have no choice but to stop at the 15 min mark because my left thigh cramps up.....walking the treadmill gets the cramp worked out so I can go back and do the rest.

I'm just paying quite a hefty price for this Y membership and I'm making sure it's not going to waste. For the past 2 wks it's been about 3 times a week. Now I'm amping up to 6 days a week, no less than 60 mins, usually about 90 including the strength workout with weights. I had to work up to it though, I didn't want to do the thing where you're so sore you can't move the rest of the day and dread going back.

I am getting frustrated with the calorie deal though. I know my kidney doctor had me on a 1600 cal diet for the renal diet without exercise. The site I'm using to help guide me calorie wise has it at 1200 something without exercise.......at a 1/2 lb a week and I think they're off their nut. That 1600 was for 2 lbs a week according to my doctor.......and it DID work without issue because I walked 4 miles a day with the dogs, but other than housework that's all I did. I lost almost 30 lbs in 2 months. So, I'm trying to just use the site to help me count calories and watch sodium and potassium levels and not hyper focusing on their totals because I think those are off more than a bit. But it's bugging me. I might switch and try out weight watchers as it might be easier, easy child says she's only paying 18 a month because she's doing the meals herself.

easy child highly recommends the Biggest Loser videos because they have 3 skill levels. I have 2 of them but have as yet to try them because I've been making it to the gym each day.....will be trying it tomorrow because sundays are just too crowded there.

And no, I've not managed to quit smoking yet. I'm down to a pack a day from 2 packs, which is at least better. If I don't continue making progress there, I'll go to the doctor and ask for the chantix...but man that's expensive.

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Oh, goody! Thanks Linda for the recommendation. For what it costs......I was worried it might not live up to it's claims. So now I won't worry so much about buying it. :)

DDD

I think Chantix has mixed reviews. For me it didn't settled well and usually I don't have issues with medications. on the other hand, I've been blessed to not need medications on a regular basis. Watching my bucks it was sad to toss away such an expensive box. My husband is going out of town next week and I'm trying to get psyched up for using Nicorette to see if I can do it...it worked for me decades ago so maybe.

Your lifestyle sounds just awesome I'm going to use you as my inspiration. Hugs DDD

InsaneCdn

Lisa -
If you're working out every day, you'll make better progress on all fronts if you alternate workouts... do cardio one day, and weights the next. It gives the muscles time to recover and build, between sessions.

Smoking... this is second-hand (I never did) but my bro said the best things that helped were...
- cutting out caffeine because the two so often go together
- keeping hands busy (you're already doing that)
- keeping lips busy... (don't go getting any ideas, ladies...!) - spread your calories out over the day, and use your lowest calorie inputs as nibblers (zuchinni sticks, cucumber, turnip, that kind of thing). Cut the pieces fairly small, and eat one.at.a.time. If you're doing crafts at the same time, wash hands between bites... (he's an artist... same issues).

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
Lisa... The Chantix made me nauseous, the horrid kind where you can't quite puke. I'd prefer "morning" sickness.

The only way I was able to quit - both times - was cold turkey. And with husband still smoking, it's hard. But he smells so bad! I could always smell it on Onyxx, but this is crazy.

I had to have a HUGE incentive to stop. And that was trying for a baby, which most likely just won't work for you!!! Nothing - NOTHING else worked. Nothing.

buddy

Chantix made my mom really really sick too. she was so disappointed. I'm gonna tell her that maybe trying to have a baby might help, LOL... one of those pregnancies after menopause...

Really jealous you guys are working out. I was so good all summer and since Q went to hospital I have been terrible about that. Still losing weight but I prefer to be doing exercise and feel good. I will get back to it...

It was nearly 40 here again, so nice... I even got on a horse because Q wanted me to feel scared. (I wasn't)

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
I've done chantix before without any issues. If I had side effects, they were so minor I didn't notice them. Since everything else gave me problems, I was relieved that chantix actually was the one thing that didn't. But like I said, it's terribly expensive. So I'm trying the reduction method then just going cold turkey. Maybe with no husband here smoking like a coal engine I'll be able to manage. If that doesn't work, I'll just have to bite the bullet and try the chantix again.......because cigs are getting more expensive by the day. omg

And I smoked with all my pregnancies, so yeah, that wouldn't do it either. lol

IC, I know that is supposed to be the way to do it....This is going to sound silly.....but my legs and fanny are quite strong, always have been, I used to be a 7 day a wk skater. It's to mostly burn off the cals, help the cardio, and do something with my gut which is just out there making me look either like I really like beer (ewwww) or I'm preggers (hahaha yeah right). I have high hopes the elliptical will help the gut because I've watched easy child drop 2 clothing sizes around the waste......and that is mostly what she works on. I'm fortunate, I could eat myself to death and it never lands on my hips, thighs, or rear.......it all goes to the gut. And when sit ups are next to impossible, that's hard to get back off. I got the videos to help with other muscle groups and give me an alternate way to do the cardio / strength thing. Once we get into swimming, I'll probably switch it up with that.

Wiped Out

Staff member
Lisa,
It is so great that you are doing this!! I agree having a workout partner really helps! Keep up the great work!!

DammitJanet

lisa....good going girl! our gyms are so expensive I would end up not being able to pay something major in order to go to one. About the Chantix, call your local health department and see if they wont cover it for you. If not, they may help you with filling out the paperwork to send in to the company to get the medicine for free from the company. All the states are now offering all the methods to get off smoking for free now. I know they cover the patches, gum, lozenges, and even most are offering that nicotrol inhaler I had used for a while. If you can get on the chantix, you might want to get one of those electronic cigarettes to help you past the time you are supposed to smoke. They actually are pretty cool. Mandy used one the entire time she was in the hospital after having the baby when she couldnt get out of the hospital and it saved her life...lol. Once the hospital personnel figured out what it was, they were fine with it.