Didn't One Of You Have Torn Meniscus Knee Surgery?

DDD

I'm staying detached, lol, but I'm worried about sister in law in Texas. Evidently both of his knees require surgery and his surgeon is suggesting doing both at once. Yikes! I know nothing about that type of problem but it doesn't make sense to me. How to heck would you be able to manuver if both your knees are post surgical?

I told my easy child to insist he get a second opinion but that's about all I could think to say. Seems like Step or H&R or ?? somebody had a heck of a time this year when one knee was done. Doing a quick check on the net it sounds like six weeks recovery time is needed and I wonder if his Corp. is encouraging him to do both so he won't be out for twelve weeks split over the year. Hope I'm wrong. DDD

hearts and roses

Mind Reader
If its just a surgery to repair the torn meniscus, both knees can be done at the same time. They do knee replacements at the same time!!!! She'd just need to go into a rehab facility for a week or two. They begin pt the very next day!!

DDD

In patient rehab or outpatient rehab, H&R? I'm assuming he wouldn't be able to drive himself. The internet indicated six weeks of recovery...he only takes seven to ten days off a year! DDD

KTMom91

My surgeries were done arthroscopically (sp?) and I had no trouble...my left knee has been operated on twice and my right knee once. I don't remember exactly how long it took to recover, but it wasn't six weeks.

hearts and roses

Mind Reader
If its just a repair arthroscopic procedure, they can do it together and likely send him home the same day.

Depending upon age and help at home, if he has replacement surgery, he may go to a rehab or home but the recovery is much long than just a week.

When I had my arthoscopic repair done, I went home the same day, was home for about 5 days and back at work full time.

When I had my replacement last year, I was sent home because I had help at home...then out of work for nearly two months because I had complications with my back. Otherwise, I was planning on returning after a month.

In patient rehab or outpatient rehab, H&R? I'm assuming he wouldn't be able to drive himself. The internet indicated six weeks of recovery...he only takes seven to ten days off a year! DDD

DDD

He's 53 I think and is always on the go (he is a multi-state restaurant chain manager). They have three kids (college and high school age) who work...as does easy child. Sigh....at least easy child is going to get him to go for a 2nd opinion. Thanks for the input. DDD

susiestar

Roll With It
I don't know about the arthroscopic repairs, but when father in law has his2nd knee replaced he was headed to Ireland six or eight weeks later. No clue about earlier surgeries, but the knee replacementseemed lke it wasn't a big problem after a month even in their house iwth stairs to go to almost any other room. It was amazing.