Dieting question Copa or others...Keto with fasting

Copabanana

vitamin D (I'm dangerously low here)
I am too. And SWOT is too. I think this has to be related to high cholesterol and I believe I read about a link. There is a female chemist (who is universally mocked) who has developed very interesting theories about Vitamin D deficiency and how it is related to a whole lot of very bad things. She says the fear of skin cancer that has led to us shielding ourselves from the sun, is responsible for many many ill effects. And she believes the risk from sun exposure is grossly overstated. I do not use sunscreen anymore even though my father died from malignant melanoma and their is a genetic risk.

I am curious Elsi what you think about Vitamin D. And of course bring it on (gut bacteria.) Thank you very much.

I am trying to get myself out to walk today. It was one of the very beneficial things I was doing that I stopped when things got so hard for me with my son.

BusynMember

A brisk walk with a bit of jogging really hits the spot for me with stress! Sometmes if its really or cold or hot outside I go down to our basement and do it there :)

Copabanana

Well. I walked SWOT. Thank you. About half an hour. A third of what I had been doing and I was tired. But it is a start. Thank you for your support.

Elsi

I am curious Elsi what you think about Vitamin D. And of course bring it on (gut bacteria.)

There’s a lot of great research on vitamin d deficiency. Definitely related to MS and other neurological issues. They put my sister on it right away, as she was also very low. Quite possibly related to my peripheral neuropathy.

I’m not as familiar with the relationship with cholesterol. That’s not a problem I have. My family tends towards very low cholesterol, low heart rate and low blood pressure - which explains why my grandfather lived to be 99 despite being almost 300 pounds, built like Santa Claus and eating farm style his whole life. (He was actually a farmer.) I seem to have inherited those genes at least. My mother’s doctor, when checking her heart, commented that she ‘must have been a real athlete’ because her heart rate was so low and strong. Which is hilarious because I’ve never seen her sweat.

Unfortunately the recent research on d supplementation is mixed - artificial supplements may not be as helpful in reversing issues as they hoped. But I still take them and think I feel better with them. Taking magnesium with it it crucial for me, or I end up with magnesium deficiency as my body processes the d. I get terrible migraines with psychedelic visuals when I’m low on magnesium. But I’m the only one I know who has that issue with the d supplements so that is apparently just my weird biochemistry. I try to get out in the sun for at least a short time each day to get some natural d, which seems to be processed better than the supplements. But mine is still very, very low. I just don’t seem to process or hold onto it well.

Gut bacteria is a whole other side of the story that’s starting to become clearer with recent research. Related to everything from obesity levels and fat storage to controlling serotonin levels. I can point you to some research this weekend if your interested.

Elsi

Elsi on the Ww I remember tracking all I ate.i recently dug out an.old notebook and am going to do that again. It is very helpful. Sparks People, I believe, has a way to track online and also shows food calories. Of course WW includes an ap with points. I dont however like rhe new system. I will stick to Keto. But will track.

I’m a total techno-geek so i like the apps over pencil and paper! The lose it app tracks calories for you and lets you put in exercise, too, to determine how many calories you’re allowed each day based on your weight loss goals and activity Level. The deluxe version also tracks carbs and protein but I don’t have that. I like that it’s always on my phone with me so I can track wherever I am. I don’t like that I’m not losing weight as fast as it predicts I should be based on my calorie intake and exercise!

I never had to do it but I would think tjat caring for elderly parents would take much exercise???

Some, but intermittent. You’re not running after them like you do toddlers! It does take some strength when you are helping with wheelchair transfers and toileting and such, but the home health aides trained us in safe lifting and moving techniques. And a lot of it is just being there with them, or sitting around waiting a time doctors appointments, or making a thousand phone calls to take care of insurance, scheduling, finances, etc. I lived just a couple houses down from my grandparents when they needed care and would just take my laptop over and work there a couple days a week because someone just needed to be there to keep an eye on my grandma when she got dementia and help fix lunch, make sure medications were taken etc. mom and I traded off sleeping over. I guess I would say it’s a lot of work, but not necessarily a lot of exercise.

Socializing also helps you stay healthy happy and fit and I am doing that a lot already.

That’s a great reminder, and something I know I have to make a conscious effort to make happen! It’s really easy working from home, and not being especially social, to just kind of never leave the house. R isn’t very social either, but I know it’s not healthy for us to only talk to each other! We did find a church to join here and are making a concerted effort to get ourselves out in the world. It sounds like you are doing a great job trying active and social!

Nomad

Staff member
When I do WW on the low carb side and do it consistently I do extremely well. I lost nine pounds right away. Then it slowed down, but still good. I lost about 15 pounds on the program. Then we travelled. I gained about five back. Right now I’m wearing sizes 8 (a few things) and 10. So, I’m not very big.
I would like to be a small 8.
For the most part, I’m not eating any flour or sugar.
In January I promised myself I would only allow myself Sugar as in a dessert 3x for the entire year: my birthday, wedding anniversary and Christmas Day. This has worked out well for me.
But I did notice, for example, I had a piece of cake for my birthday, and felt crummy for a few days afterward with fatigue and sugar cravings.
I do eat some healthy carbs ...but not every day and in very small portions like 1/2 a potato or some corn. Not often at all and tiny portions.
Mostly meat, veggies, some nuts and fruit.
And some yummy dessert three times a year. Can’t wait until Christmas!

PS I try to weigh in regularly, but am irregular with mtg attendance. I’m a Lifetime never

Last edited:

Copabanana

d supplementation is mixed - artificial supplements may not be as helpful in reversing issues as they hoped.
If the artificial supplements don't work what do we do? Is the only thing get out in the sun?

I checked. 20 minutes a day of sun exposure is enough to get the daily requirement for most people.

Dietary sources are: salmon tuna mackerel shrimp sardines and eggs or vitamin d enriched dairy. It is also to eat foods containing vitamins a, k, zinc, boron, and magnesium which are required to metabolize vitamin d. Get these from beans nuts and fish.

Thank you Elsi.

Last edited:

Elsi

If the artificial supplements don't work what do we do? Is the only thing get out in the sun?

I checked. 20 minutes a day of sun exposure is enough to get the daily requirement for most people.

Dietary sources are: salmon tuna mackerel shrimp sardines and eggs or vitamin d enriched dairy. It is also to eat foods containing vitamins a, k, zinc, boron, and magnesium which are required to metabolize vitamin d. Get these from beans nuts and fish.

Thank you Elsi.

Yep. I’m not saying the supplements don’t work - just that the research is mixed. I try to get sun exposure in addition to taking them. And eat lots of fatty fish and eggs. My levels are still low though.

Nomad

Staff member
I had frequent bouts of mild to moderate depression until I started taking vitamins daily. in my humble opinion the best ones are my b complex and vitamin d. Last time I checked, my d was at a high normal. I’m gettung checked again in December to make sure it is not beyond that. We are all different. And perhaps pills don’t work as well as natural. I suspect I had a deficiency but was not tested beforehand. These two vitamins in particular have been a huge blessing for me in terms of depression. I now have occasional mild depression or reactive. I can bounce back quicker. It just made a big, noticeable and positive difference for me. I’m a huge fan and believer.

Nomad

Staff member
I went back and read a few posts.

I think when you get very close to your proper weight, it gets harder for the weight to come off. Drinking a lot of water in between meals has helped me in the past. In WW they tend to call these plateus.

But, toward the end, it gets harder to lose.

My old GP who was brilliant suggested 900 calories + low carb dieting for me. Plain and simple. No sugar and flour in particular. It’s funny as heck ‘cause when I would say this to people they would be shocked. However, often when successful dieters tell me their diets/food intake...it’s iften something like this. Perhaps 900-1000 calories and no more. My doctor also factored in my height...I’m kind of short. But, I see many doing this. I suspect she was herself.

She lost at a very nice rate.

I do have a friend that went to a nutritionist a few years ago and it’s more of the same. She lost the weight and kept it off. She looks great. Reduced calories and low carb. She once gave me a detailed list of her food intake and best guess it was about 900 calories most days and just a little more on Saturdays when she often went out and had wine and Somewhat larger portions.

I’m back on my diet (thank goodness). I too simply feel better while on it.

BusynMember

Is it safe to only consume 900 calories?

While I could never do that eating lots of carbs, Im not very hungry on Keto foods.

Nomad, would you be kind enough to share a day in the life of your food menu? If not, I understand.

Copabanana

900 calories + low carb
This is what worked for me.

When I first went to the nutritionist she put me on a diet of about 1700 calories!! No wonder I did not lose weight.

I do not know if it is risk management or what. But when women in particular get older they really do not need that much food.

If I eat about 900 I do not feel hungry, if I eat low carb. It is easy to get the nutrition I need at this quantity of food, if I make the right choices.

There is a school of thought that we are healthier if we consume fewer calories than we require, as a permanent lifestyle. There are people, even youngish men, who live their lives underweight and consuming fewer calories than are required to maintain their weight. They exercise. They do this because they believe that this supports longer life, and healthier life. I will google what this mindset/lifestyle is called.

I do not think we were meant to be fat in any kind of permanent way, or even well-fed. Nourished is different than well-fed. Well-fed is like a stuffed goose. I think part of the work we have to do is to escape a mindset that equates feeding with well-being.

We have been fed a whole lot of nonsense about eating. Think about the lobby by the corn and wheat industries of this country that resulted in the food pyramid that gave rise to such ill health and obesity in this country. Think about all of the so called healthy "low cal" snacks, that are composed of sugar and carbs that arose towards the end of the last century. Think about the demonization of fat.

I think that our bodies know what is best. If we are able to feel satiated by fewer calories, with ample energy and concentration...that this is the listening that needs to happen. So called authorities may not really know, while they pontificate, or they may be serving something other than our health.

This is why I am appreciating this thread. Each of you is in relation to their own body and trying their very hardest to as best you can achieve a state of health and well-being.

Thank you.

Nomad

Staff member
(See what I mean...the question is common)
It might not exactly be 900, but it seems to pull in that direction. I thought my doctor suggested this for me since I’m short...but I’m seeing 900-1000 calories almost accidentally digested with successful dieters.

If I’m not hungry at all in the morning, I only have coffee. This might happen a few days a week. If I’m hungry, I eat. On occasion, I’m not hungry...but then am hungry a little later. That happened today and I had some grapes around 11. When I have breakfast, I might have one egg and one egg white scrambled with lots of vegetables in it like spinach, tomato and onion.

Lunch: very large salad, small to moderate amount of chicken and a small amount of lite balsamic dressing.
Sometimes a Greek salad with feta instead.
Another lunch I like is a chicken patty from Trader Joe’s (lime taste) with some kind of vegetable on the side like broccoli or zucchini.

Dinner: some kind of meat: chicken, turkey...lamb or fish. Smallish portion. Then a vegetable or two. I like zucchini spirals which are very low in calories. I sometimes eat the entire bag. I like fresh start frozen vegetables sometimes. I eat a large vegetable portion. And I might eat a LOT of veggies if I’m hungry.

Another great dinner for me is Trader Joe’s Riced cauliflower with veggies, mixed with some chicken.

If I get hungry later, I like strawberries. A special treat is a cup of frozen mango on occasion. On a rare occasion, I have skinny pop popcorn ...a bit of a cheat since it’s not low carb at all.

Kitchen closes at 7:15.

I only drink water , tea and coffee and use Truvia. I’m trying to keep it at one packet.

To each his own. If we don’t like our personal plan, or feel unwell on it, or it’s not effectual...we simply won’t do it.

But, I have noticed a bit of a tendency / generally speaking that is...with my successful dieting friends 1. Reduction of calories 2. Reduced carbs...no matter what you might call it.

Elsi

I can’t go above 1000 without gaining weight either. I can eat a little more when I’m doing 45-60 minutes of intense cardio each day. But the Lose It app keeps telling me I should be losing 2 pounds a week at my net calorie level and I’m just maintaining. I definitely have noticed a huge difference in metabolism levels as I’ve gotten older, even though I’m working out and I know I still have a lot of muscle. A nutritionist would definitely tell me I should be eating more, but I gain weight if I inch up even to 1200!

One thing I’ve started doing is giving up the idea that I ‘have’ to have dinner just because it’s dinner time. At least a couple times a week I realize I’m not really all that hungry and I just skip it. I may go to bed a little hungry but not starving, and I’m fine I’m the morning. I’m learning to listen to my body instead of society’s schedule.

Copabanana

Permanently restricting eating is called caloric restriction. This is a quote I found from a scientist that practices this. She wrote she has a genetic predisposition to obesity. But the thing is, there is thinking that a 30% restriction of calories to what is considered normal extends health throughout the lifespan and potentially extends the lifespan as well.

I practice a flexible form of caloric restriction,” says Susan Roberts a dietary scientist at Tufts University in Boston. “I keep my BMI at 22, and [have calculated] that that requires eating 80% of what I would eat if my BMI was at 30 like every other member of my family.” Roberts stresses that it isn’t hard – she follows her own weight management programme using a tool called iDiet . (This website is paid. I just checked.)

Last edited:

Nomad

Staff member
I hired a nutritionist and gained weight each week. She said I wasn’t eating enough carbs. When I did what she asked of me, no lie, I gained almost 3 pounds a week. Omg. What a horrible waste of time and money. I was furious.

Nomad

Staff member
Side note: I only JUST got off prednisone a few weeks ago. Sooo, losing 15 pounds while still taking that drug from hexx, is really good...I think. It goes to show you that this method is very helpful with weight loss. Prednisone is truly horrible when it comes to that...the anti weight loss pill!

Elsi

I hired a nutritionist and gained weight each week. She said I wasn’t eating enough carbs. When I did what she asked of me, no lie, I gained almost 3 pounds a week. Omg. What a horrible waste of time and money. I was furious.

Don’t you hate that? I know my doctor doesn’t believe that my food intake tracking is accurate. We’ll talk about my weight loss goals and I’ll show her my log and she raises her eyebrows and ‘hmmms’. But I know what my body is telling me.

I know for me, I can’t do a ‘moderate’ amount of carbs, except a 1/2 cup of brown rice, a small sweet potato or some squash every once in a while. I gain weight, and one serving of cake or bread makes me turn into a carb monster. I’ll be fine for months, then one taste and I’m craving them all the time. I’m an addict when it comes to sugars. And I don’t say that flippantly.

It’s hard, because I come from a country family who is serious about baking. Pies, cakes, cookies, seasonal cobblers...we didn’t say I love you. We baked. Giving up ingrained habits is tough. But I know how much better I feel when I still to my veggies and protein diet.