Dieting question Copa or others...Keto with fasting

Elsi

Side note: I only JUST got off prednisone a few weeks ago. Sooo, losing 15 pounds while still taking that drug from hexx, is really good...I think. It goes to show you that this method is very helpful with weight loss. Prednisone is truly horrible when it comes to that...the anti weight loss pill!

Wow you were able to still lose on prednisone? I’m impressed!

Copabanana

Pies, cakes, cookies
Our bodies are so like, Elsi.

I have an addictive relationship to carbs. I cannot control myself when I consume bread, pie, cake, etc. And have a hard time with potatoes, too. I have to have zero of these foods or have occasional days when I binge. Because once I take a bite that is what happens. I binge.

Up until a couple of years ago I was BAKING every single night for M. Quick breads or pies. EVERY NIGHT. (These are simple and quick.) I made an impossible coconut pie last night.

When I proposed that I bake one, M said, DON'T. You always blame me when you eat all of it.

And sure enough. As soon as I took out the coconut from the freezer I started scarfing it up, and a half an hour after the pie came out of the oven, I had eaten half.

And that is the end of the story. There is no such thing for me as moderation with refined carbs, in particular. PS I love to bake. I love bread. I love pie. I love these things. But they do not love me back.

Nomad

Staff member
Thank you! The last several months, I was only on small dosages of prednisone....so it was slightly better. Butit truly is a horrible weight gainer.

My mom was Italian...so I miss pasta and bread. Saving me a little is that it seems to totally mess up my autoimmune stuff. Weight gain is bad enough, but combine that with bad fatigue and pain and it helps with motivation.

I think we do have to listen to ourselves and our bodies!

Excellent point the addiction. I’ve thought of that for myself as well.

Copabanana

Why is it that people (namely middle age or older women) do not TALK about the reality that they cannot eat more than 900 to 1000 calories? Why is it such a SECRET? It seems like even weightwatchers, is in on this conspiracy of silence. I could not lose on weightwatchers if I followed their guidelines.

Nomad

Staff member
Copa: YES!
I recall thinking with this doctor....praise G.d!!! An honest doctor. I’m so lucky. We’ve moved and she is not my doctor anymore and I will miss her. But yes, she had the xxxxx to speak the truth. One in a million.

Elsi

There is no such thing for me as moderation with refined carbs, in particular. PS I love to bake. I love bread. I love pie. I love these things. But they do not love me back.

Yep!

This actually relates to the gut bacteria thing. When we feed our gut bacteria simple sugars, the ones that thrive on that grow, and they demand more. They do this by directly influencing levels of serotonin and other brain chemicals. Most of our digestion does not happen directly, but through the influence of our gut flora. The ones we feed are the ones that thrive. And those little buggers influence us in more ways than we know. Cravings. Moods. Energy levels. Fat storage. Inflammation. It’s all connected, and it all comes back to diet.

Nomad

Staff member
Ill worry about it later, but for me and I suspect many , it often is harder to maintain weight.
I like the accountability of WW.
When I reach goal, I can weigh in for free once a month.
If I’m within two pounds of goal weight, there is no charge.
I simply need the accountability.
I might need to keep my daily food intake to around 1100 I just don’t know. I tend to flub this. I don’t wish to mess up again. I suspect I’ll need to
Eat 1100 and when I see the scale inch up, immediately do 900 for awhile.
I’ll work it out.
It requires thought and effort.
This sort of came naturally for my mom who was always slim.
Side note: she often ate in an unhealthy manner though and I won’t mimic that part of it.
BUT, if she gained two pounds, she immediately ate lightly for about a week and got it off.
I’m REALLY motivated to not only get my extra weight off, but keep it off, and eat healthy along the way.
Tall order...but it needs to be done.

Nomad

Staff member
Another favorite lunch is Panera bread restaurant’s chicken Cobb salad with no dressing and of course, no bread.

You can order an apple instead of the bread.

Sometimes I ask for no bacon as well because of the nitrates and calories. But, it does taste better with the bacon which is lightly sprinkled in the salad.

I usually don’t have any dressing at all or sometimes I take it home and have a little of my lite balsamic .

Elsi

I usually don’t have any dressing at all or sometimes I take it home and have a little of my lite balsamic .

I don’t use any commercial salad dressings at all any more due to sugars, emulsifiers and calories. I mix good quality olive oil and balsamic vinegars or apple cider vinegar and just mix a little fresh with each salad. I figure it’s a healthy fat if it’s good quality EVOO and the vinegar is low cal and healthy. There is a fancy olive oil and vinegar store we go to when we go into the city and i splurge a little on flavored vinegars and good oil.

BusynMember

Although I want to lose weight, especially for my awesome wedding dress, I am confused about what is and isnt healthy because it keeps changing! And I see a lot of heavy people in their 80s. The only constant both told to me and from what I see is that smoking will kill you young in many ways and exercise keeps you more mobile unless you fall or have an accident....not always preventable.

Eggs used to be a heart attack. They are making a comeback as a superfood. Fat used to be a heart attack too but it goes with keto dieting and my doctor told me that when her patients first told her they were going Keto she expected high cholestral and heaet attacks. Nope. She said she is surprised to say it doesn't happen and that sometimes their bad values actually get better. Vegan is supposed to be very healthy and I love animals. It was a natural fit for me plus I heard you lose weight easily this way. So I tried it.

I tried it for a few monrhs and was always always hungry and missed dairy. Badly. So I ate more and gained. I put dairy back in. Still hungry. Gained.

I personally can find doctors who swear different methods of eating are the healthiest. There is no one consensus. I dont know who to believe. I just know Ive got my eye on that wedding dress and keto works for me without making me hungry. I dont like being hungry and I wont do it.

I am really liking the sharing of ideas here. For me, the more I exercise, the more calories I can eat but have to watch it above 1200 no matter how I work out.

I think a lot of our shape is in the genes and rhat some people have a harder rime losing than others because of that. With my kids moatly being adopted they are all different shapes regardless of how they eat. I give up trying to figure it out or knowing who is right about weight. I just know my own body. And I feel good on any sort of diet...Keto I am less hungry on so Im doing it. But Im incorporating some ideas I read from you guys, like. Intermittant fasting/timed earing. Think now I will see how I do on 900 calories. Keep the tips coming.

Last edited:

Elsi

I think the science is getting clearer and clearer. The problem is the diet industry, and a lot of nutritionists and doctors, tend to grab onto individual studies and it makes it feel like there is more back and forth than there really is. And for years we were fed (no pun intended) bad science by Government agencies and industries whose ultimate goal was to support farm markets not promote health. But I really think the things we are talking about here are on the right track and are not going to change.

Copabanana

i splurge a little on flavored vinegars and good oil.
I would love to know the names of the vinegars and oils you find especially delicious. I live in a food desert. But I could buy online.

When we go to the Bay Area I am thrilled by the salads I eat, which I know become so in large part from the vinegar and oil.

Elsi. I make my own dressing too. The same as you. But I use lemons from our Meyer lemon tree and a good measure of garlic. I wish people knew how easy it is to make salad dressing. I actually cannot stand commercial dressing anymore.

Elsi

And I see a lot of heavy people in their 80s.

Like my grandpa! Died at 99 and almost 300 pounds. The problem I see is that extra weight really impacts quality of life and mobility as we get older even if it doesn’t kill you. I don’t want to live longer, I want to retain independence as long as possible. And hopefully die on a cruise ship with a Majito in my hand!

Copabanana

But I really think the things we are talking about here are on the right track and are not going to change.
But the thing is: whose authority will we trust. Authority external to us, as in "an authority" or expert, or the authority of how we think, how we feel, the validation of our experience?

Things may change. But will we? That is the question. Whose authority do you follow or trust?

Elsi

I would love to know the names of the vinegars and oils you find especially delicious. I live in a food desert. But I could buy online.

When we go to the Bay Area I am thrilled by the salads I eat, which I know become so in large part from the vinegar and oil.

Elsi. I make my own dressing too. The same as you. But I use lemons from our Meyer lemon tree and a good measure of garlic. I wish people knew how easy it is to make salad dressing. I actually cannot stand commercial dressing anymore.

I use lemons and garlic too! We mix it up. I have an embarrassing collection of vinegars! Raspberry white basalmic and honey ginger are among my favorites. I pair the honey ginger with a Persian lime olive oil. And I’ve become addicted to a high quality aged balsamic as a staple here. I use it in marinades as well as salads.

Elsi

But the thing is: whose authority will we trust. Authority external to us, as in "an authority" or expert, or the authority of how we think, how we feel, the validation of our experience?

Things may change. But will we? That is the question. Whose authority do you follow or trust?

I tend to start with the science - not as filtered through a diet expert or nutritionist but the original studies, especially meta analysis. And then verify with my own experience. Because we are all a bit different, and we have to tweak to own biochemistry.

Copabanana

Raspberry white basalmic and honey ginger are among my favorites. I pair the honey ginger with a Persian lime olive oil. And I’ve become addicted to a high quality aged balsamic
One day if you have time and inclination could you write down the brands and names so I can look online. The aged balsamic sounds particularly divine. I think this is a tremendous idea, the seeking out of precious condiments that enhance healthy things. I will see what I find online. Thank you Elsi.