Difference between 13yo and 15yo??

TerryJ2

when he therapist said she didn't think he needed any guideline or restriction about going to bed a certain time, even on school nights, I said no.

What planet or hotel do they live in? If someone leaves on the lights, uses the TV, runs the blender, a blowdryer, people are going to hear it. Roommates have rules, for heaven's sakes! Arrgh!

klmno

Ok I looked over the link- I'll have to go thru it again and start writing a list. I noticed that almost every poster said they expected to know where their difficult child was and what they were doing when not at home. This is the only big issue right now between difficult child and me. He thinks he should be allowed to go out for a couple of hours without me knowing where or who he's with, albeit he says he knows he can't do this at first. Now his therapist agreed with that, saying I was unreasonable to expect otherwise. I think that's ridiculous, especially for a 15yo on parole who now has friends he met in Department of Juvenile Justice. Keep in mind that over the past 4 years my son has received charges that include felony arson (in our neighborhood), trespassing, and breaking & entering, and has stated his temptation to do drugs. And when difficult child brings this issue up, the first thing that goes thru my mind is that if he isn't planning on doing anything wrong why would he mind telling me where he is, who he's with, and what they are doing. I told him it was just consideration to let someone know where we are, what we're doing, and when to expect us home- I tell him those things and expect him to do the same.

And while I know that I can't control his decisions, I also know that I don't have to hand him opportunity to do all his temptations and I can be held legally accountable too- the restitution I'm still paying reminds me of that quite often. I can't stop him from having sex before he's an adult, but I don't have to invite a girl over to spend the night with him, Know what I mean??