difficult child 1 IS HAVING A MELT-DOWN

Tonight is beginning to seem like the "good old days" before difficult child 1 began taking trileptal. He has been rude and disrespectful since he got up this morning. Finally, having taken more garbage from him than I should have, I told him that he was losing some of his reward time. He became verbally abusive and has been throwing things around his room for the last hour.

Since he is being ignored, his negative behavior is becoming worse. His banging and throwing is now accompanied by comments such as, "What the F-CK!!!" He is looking for confrontation and, at this moment, I'm hoping he quiets down on his own. The worst thing to do is to try to talk or rationalize with difficult child 1 when he is in a full blown rage.

I think I've been ignoring the fact that his behavior has been getting worse lately. I've sort of been acting like an ostrich with my head stuck in the sand. I guess tonight is my wake-up call. I'll have to contact his psychiatrist if his out of control behavior lasts much longer.

As I always say, there never is a dull moment with difficult children!!!
Thanks for listening. I just needed to vent somewhere. WFEN

tiredmommy

I hope he calms down quickly, no one deserves to live like this. Do you think he needs a medication adjustment or medication change? Warm, caring thoughts are being sent your way.

Wiped Out

Staff member
WFEN,
I hope he calmed down without getting even worse-I so can relate and it is no fun. I know with our difficult child when he gets ignored it is not a pretty picture. It does sound like a call to the psychiatrist is a good idea. Hugs to you.

Thanks so much for the cyber shoulders to lean on!!! difficult child managed to calm himself down shortly after I posted this. He was furious this morning when he was told that as a result of his actions, he lost his reward for 24 hours. He stormed out of the kitchen without breakfast. husband had to call him back downstairs and make him take his trileptal.

He didn't say one word on the car ride home from school, went into the house, took a shower, and spent half an hour banging around in his room. After that, he did a total turn-around. For the rest of the afternoon and so far this evening, he has been extremely polite and very quiet!!! He even tried joking around with me a bit. I can't help but wonder if he is up to something...

Well, as I always say, life is never dull with difficult children!!! WFEN

neednewtechnique

Something that we have found very helpful to us, and I am sure that many of you do this already, but we try to keep a journal of daily mood swings our difficult child goes through. This gives psychiatrist a very thorough picture of what is going wrong and when and how often, and what moods are like between rages. I usually will send her an updated copy a few days before the appointment so that she has time to review the information and make notes. Also, if we have a night that is exceptionally out of control, we make a point of calling psychiatrist the next day so that she can make a note of it THEN instead of spending an enormous amount of time trying to write ALL THE troublesome events of the evening in the journal for that day. These things I think help us more than they do her, but it keeps me from having to try to remember EVERYTHING that has happened in the last month or two since the last appointment and when she asks about mood swings and fits, all the information she could need is right in front of her.

Just a thought....