difficult child 1 needle phobia is apparently under control!

gcvmom

Here we go again!
difficult child 1, my 13yo, has had a needle phobia since as far as I can remember (probably those darned kindergarten shots that did him in!)

Well, I have to brag, because this kid blew me away last week when he went in for the blood draw he gets every few months and has done for the past two years.

Not only did he opt to forego his usual Ativan (said he doesn't like the way it makes him feel), but he also said "pass" on the Emla numbing cream AND had me wait in the lobby while he went in the lab by himself!!!

When I think back to the puddle of hysterical tears and panic attacks he would be reduced to just two short years ago when facing a routine blood draw, I have to just shake my head in amazement. If you'd told me he'd be able to make these choices for himself today -- VOLUNTARILY, no less, I would have laughed my head off and said YOU were nuts!

He's been taking Lexapro for about a year now, and I really, really think that, along with a few sessions to address the phobia with a therapist last year and lots of support along the way are what's allowed him to get to this point.

I just am still so amazed! :bravo:

jannie

trying to survive....
Way to go !! I am so proud of him for being able to handle this on his own. My difficult child 2 is also needle phobic....he's needed a blood draw for at least one year...and it never works out.

Marguerite

That is really good!

difficult child 3 is determinedly working on his own acknowledged needle phobia. He watched me get my antibiotic injections (in the rump) and got to the stage where he would help the nurse with holding the ampoules for her, then put the papers, swab etc in the bin for her.
When I had to call the ambulance on New Year's Eve, difficult child 3 stayed to watch while the paramedic gave me two injections. Apparently my arm bled a bit after the second shot in the arm, I heard difficult child 3 ask about it (that's how I realised it was bleeding) but husband reassured him and I made it clear I had barely felt the injections (they paled into insignificance next to the headache I had).

Each success breeds further success and positivity. Well done to difficult child!

Marg

susiestar

Roll With It
WOW!! Great progress!! It is amazing what can happen with the right medications and a little maturity. I know when difficult child turned 13 he quit wanting us to go into the lab with him. Esp when he found out our reg doctors' office has students (young and cute) who are learning to do this!!

Hugs and congrats!

Susie

PersonalEnigma

My difficult child is another needle phobic child. So far he does ok with distraction and restraint, but he's a wreck the whole day ahead of time... Fortunately he only needs routine vaccinations. I'd be thrilled if difficult child would be as brave as yours was. Way to go!