difficult child 1 Ticked Off At Me

gcvmom

Here we go again!
Because he discovered the electrical plug LOCK that I placed on the cord for the monster TV in his room that I can't move out by myself and that husband doesn't seem to want to move for whatever reason.

He demanded to know WHY I did that. And so I explained that since he's been unable to control the late hours that he spends watching TV, I've decided to step in and help him. :tongue:

He's not a happy camper right now! Mwah-ha-ha-ha-haaaaa! :devil:

susiestar

Roll With It
Go MOM!!!

He will no doubt be extra frustrated because he has that big ole tv standing there as testament to what he cannot do.

enjoy your victory!

graceupongrace

I explained that since he's been unable to control the late hours that he spends watching TV, I've decided to step in and help him.

You know, sometimes they just don't appreciate our help, do they?;)

Where did you get that lock? I was looking for something like that a while back and couldn't find one.

DaisyFace

Love me...Love me not
Where did you get that lock? I was looking for something like that a while back and couldn't find one.

Grace--

I've heard that they are available online....and kind of pricey.

BUT--the "budget version" is to simply fit a small padlock through the holes in the ends of the electrical prongs in the outlet.

gcvmom

Here we go again!
Oh gosh, DaisyFace why didn't I think of that????!!! :hammer:

Oh well, I got mine at Amazon. It was about $20 with shipping. The cord just plugs into this receptical and you turn the key and it locks on.

lmf64

I wonder if you would get a cheaper rate if you bought in bulk. I bet you could sell them by the gross just sitting outside a pediatric psychiatric office.

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
THIS IS NOT MEANT TO BE AN ATTACK!!!! It is honest confusion!

When did it become necessary for kids to have TVs in their rooms? Given that rooms are for sleeping and studying and maybe quiet play, it seems like TVs and computers sort of defeat the purpose.

I try to compare the TV and Computer to the books that my room was filled with. I don't know if I am just outdated, but the electronics just don't seem "needed".

I had my books and an electronic typewriter because I was very into writing. I only had the typewriter because I have dysgraphia and can barely write legibly.

It's sort of like cellphones. To me all that should be needed is a phone set to call parents and perhaps a trusted neighbor. They aren't social devices but rather safety devices.

No reason for texts and stuff unless YOU feel they are needed for convenience.

Joys of getting old, I guess. It just seems to me sometimes that the whole parenting gig might be easier without a lot of this stuff.

Sigh

Like I said, I am honestly not attacking anyone. I am curious to "hear" why all this stuff is necessary these days.

ThreeShadows

Quid me anxia?
I tried to get something like that at Radio Shack years ago, when the boys were refusing to do their homework. The sales staff had the audacity to ask me how old were the difficult children, then they claimed no such thing existed. They just thought I had no right to do that. Interesting that the difficult children went on to work for Radio Shack...:faint:

gcvmom

Here we go again!
GoingNorth -- you are preaching to the choir, hon! husband is the only reason for the TVs... That's right! Plural! HE put one in each kid's room, against my wishes. He felt it would be one way to keep the peace amongst the 3 for various strategic reasons. Being able to just send them to their rooms and not have to proactively PARENT them. That's another soapbox for another time. I still don't like the arrangement. Thankfully, it's not a big deal (yet) with the other two kids and they do not abuse the privilege.

Shari

IsItFridayYet?
GoingNorth -- you are preaching to the choir, hon! husband is the only reason for the TVs... That's right! Plural! HE put one in each kid's room, against my wishes. He felt it would be one way to keep the peace amongst the 3 for various strategic reasons. Being able to just send them to their rooms and not have to proactively PARENT them. That's another soapbox for another time. I still don't like the arrangement. Thankfully, it's not a big deal (yet) with the other two kids and they do not abuse the privilege.

easy child 2's mom did the same thing. easy child 2 won't do her homework and sneaks out of her room in the night to play video games at her mom's...so what does mom do? Hook up cable to a new tv in her room...and wonders why she "sneaks" tv more now... DUH!

Maybe we should start a soapbox thread....if it was me, we'de have one tv. MAYBE.

Anyway, you mean mommy. How dare you care...

susiestar

Roll With It
For YEARS I advocated not having a tv. We didn't put one in our bedroom until husband was 40. It was my birthday gift to him. He had always wanted a tv in the bedroom.

He also felt that a house is not a home without a tv. Period.

He wanted to put them in the kids bedrooms but I told him I would move out if he did that. period. I don't threaten that lightly and I meant it.

I want to know what the kids are watching and when they are watching it. I don't like the secrecy and sneakiness that having a tv in the bedrooms would result in. I know none of the kids are up to avoiding that level of temptation!!

As for phones, I hate hate hate them. People, esp the schools, seem to feel that if they cannot reach you immediately then you are "abusing" the kids or neglecting them. Not sure how, but one office person told me that she would report me to CPS if I ever again didn't call school within ten minutes of them leaving a message!! I took her to the principal and tore a strip off of each of them (principal was behind this policy).

I would personally be tempted to freecycle any tv that got put in my kids rooms that I couldn't move out of there.