difficult child 1's neuropsychologist results today!

gcvmom

Here we go again!
My appointment is at 2pm. I'm very curious what the neuropsychologist will have to say. I finally finished filling out the school's paperwork, so I'll turn that in today or tomorrow.

difficult child 1 is home "sick" again today. Complained of a headache and just a general feeling of malaise. Doctor called back yesterday and said that all he could think for us to do is to go slower on the pred wean... so we're trying that.

difficult child 1 has been helping me around the house and SEEMS to have energy and be feeling okay. He's whistling. Cracking jokes. Not sure why he's resisting going to school. Gave him Tylenol and he said he still has the headache. His cough is much, much better and his peak flow numbers are back around 350 (improved, but not normal for him), but he says it hurts when he coughs. No fever.

I just can't figure this kid out! :confused:

klmno

I bet you are anxious!! I hope you get things revealed- but no big Shockers!

Here's hoping difficult child gets better soon, too!

Jena

good luck, i remember being so anxious also when i got called in to get the results!

i hope he feels better!!

totoro

Mom? What's a difficult child?
I hope it goes well!!! I was just about to post ours... I am still trying to muddle through them and our 4 hour out take apt...

gcvmom

Here we go again!
Well, I thought I'd get the report today, but I essentially got a summary of what her report will include. She hasn't written it yet. :( Part of the problem is that she is temporarily homeless, so to speak. Her old office is being demolished and she has no permanent home yet at the hospital, so things are a little chaotic right now.

First off, he's a real Mr. Smarty Pants. VIQ 119, PIQ 124, FSIQ 124. So he can DO the work, no doubt about it.

But when we get to the attention, executive function and memory portions of the testing, his results do not match and he is either average to below average and were definitely not what was expected.

In a nutshell, he needs a LOT of time to process information before new stuff is introduced, otherwise he just DUMPS what he's processing in order to accommodate the new stuff. Makes sense? Also, his visual memory is not so hot. And the file cabinet in his brain is not very well organized (typical executive functioning issues of ADHD kids). He struggles with complex, lengthy directions and will only remember the last thing he is told to do. (So THAT'S why I have to repeat myself a dozen times for anything to get done!)

His fine motor skills and coordination are below average as well.

She fairly well ruled out Apergers, BUT she said his cognition problems were typical of kids on the Asperger's scale. Then again, she said because he's a bright kid, it could just be that he looks at the world differently.

He is definitely at risk for depression, he is way behind on his self-care/independence, and so she felt the right therapist would be a good tool for addressing those problems. He also needs help with stress management.

She's going to get me some info on a tech camp through one of the universities where kids get to make their own video games. She thinks it would be really good for him.

Hopefully her final, detailed report will provide the facts for me to take to the school to say "Here -- these are his issues, what can we do to help him?" It's going to take at least three weeks before I get it, though.

totoro

Mom? What's a difficult child?
Hey our kids sound kind of similar!
I didn't even look again at K's numbers after she breezed through them at our 4 hour out take apt...

Her
FSIQ=120
PIQ=131
VIQ=108
Gen.Language=131

I guess she is a little braniac also... but she has issues very much like your difficult child.
We can brain storm ideas! LOL

It will be interesting to see if he has the huge discrepancies like K? Maybe our kids can date... LOL

gcvmom

Here we go again!
OMG, you are too funny! Can you imagine the difficult child's our two difficult child's would produce! Let's just not go THERE, okay? :rofl:

Wiped Out

Staff member
The final report should have more info. at least it did for our difficult child. We received a small report first and then a 17 page comprehensive report. difficult child's school does have a copy and it's been very helpful.

TerryJ2

Arg, Gcvmom, I know the feeling!
So sorry you only got partial test results. Interesting that he is definitely smart ... you just have to crack the code as to how his mind works.
LOL about your difficult child 1 and Totoro's difficult child ...

tiredmommy

We should make a pact that the children on this board shall never date nor have babies together! Yikes! Besides, I think Duckie thought your difficult child 2 was kinda cute, though difficult child 1 was her hero for volunteering to take her on the roller coaster (he really is a sweetie, you know!)

gcvmom

Here we go again!
TM -- I swear on Herbert's grave, I will NEVER reveal Duckie's true feelings! No need to feed into difficult child 2's grandiosity! And yes, difficult child 1 CAN be sweet, when he wants to. I think that he's just not given enough chances... too many sibs and a nagging mother around all the time. :winks:

smallworld

I thought the WISC-IV gave four IQ subtest scores -- Verbal Comprehension, Perceptual Reasoning, Working Memory and Processing Speed -- for a Full Scale IQ score???

Sorry you didn't get all the results....geez I know how frustrating it is waiting for them. Your difficult child 1 sounds a lot like my difficult child 2.

M

ML

I have been waiting for this day. Looking forward to udpate. Hugs and Prayers.. ML

gcvmom

Here we go again!
SW, the numbers she gave me were from the WASI. I don't have the final report outlining all the tests, but I know she looked at intelligence, achievement, attention, executive functions, language, learning and memory both visual and verbal, visuospatial, visuomoto/motor, and behavior/personality.

Her process has been a bit different from the neuropsychologist I used for difficult child 2. I don't know yet if it's better or worse...

As long as the report arms me with what I need to ask for the right supports for Gf1...

Thanks all for the encouragement :) I'll keep you posted when I get the final report!

smallworld

I'm really surprised the neuropsychologist did the WASI instead of the WISC-IV, which gives a lot more info. Every evaluation my kids have ever undergone (6 or so over the years), the neuropsychologist has administered the WISC-IV.