difficult child 1's teacher has me in tears

buddy

you really have to live under a rock to think that bullying is just normal kid stuff these days. I'm sorry your kiddo is having to experience that right now with no adult protection in the school. Very sad.

Does your school have an anti-bullying policy. Ours all do. That could be a way to approach it, threatening to get a lawyer and to report the teacher to the superintendent if she does not protect your kid from that. Even if the superintendent does not do anything, most teachers would not know that and do not want a complaint from a parent to land on their boss' desk.

InsaneCdn

Ministry of education should be at the state level - above the "school board" which is just local. Your state should have a website with the various ministries...

Californiablonde

Okay I'm seriously lost. I'm on the ED department of education website and I can't find anything to do with IEP's or advocates. Am I looking in the right place?

InsaneCdn

I landed on the same as Buddy's second link... looks like those people could point you to the start of the chain... i.e. either they are the point of contact or they can tell you how to get there.

BusynMember

Okay I'm seriously lost. I'm on the ED department of education website and I can't find anything to do with IEP's or advocates. Am I looking in the right place?

I had no idea what to do either so I just called the main number at the Dept. of Education, told the operator that I needed somebody who specialized in special needs and, after being sent a few places, finally got the special needs coordinator who told me who my advocate was :) I suggest just doing that. It's worth a try!