difficult child 2's Annual IEP Review Today

gcvmom

Here we go again!
I'm a bit ambivalent about it, for some reason. I feel like it just doesn't really matter because this is his last year at this school, he's transitioning to middle school, and it's almost the end of the school year. Well, we have six more weeks, anyway, but probably only 4 weeks of real instruction going on, and next week is when they wrap up state testing, so maybe it's only 3 1/2 weeks of real teaching going on.

His Lang Arts teacher has really not met the accommodation request to have his assignment planner checked daily and to ensure that he has all his materials. We consistently got a "I guess I can try to do that" from him each time this was addressed. He acts like it's optional because the kids are expected to be able to do this on their own! Whatever.

What I plan to do is review the school and private test results from last year to REMIND everyone what his specific deficits are (I think they need to hear it again) and the reasons why we've given him the services he has as well as the accommodations that are written in his plan.

I'm also going to address the deterioration in his math grade and spelling grade. All other areas have either improved or held steady. I want to find out about summer school to help him with the pre-algebra that he has struggled with all year.

I'm also going to address his state test scores that have been steadily deteriorating over time. I'm missing the ones from 2008 and need to go dig through some boxes to find it, but should be able to show that it's an issue that needs everyone's attention.

I also want to ask about the timing for a re-evaluation. Perhaps at the end of next year (7th grade) would be an appropriate time... I think he should have another one before entering highschool...

husband was supposed to go with me today, but a presentation he was to make this morning got moved to this afternoon, so I'm flying solo. I'm actually used to doing that, as it's only been this past year that husband as gotten involved with these types of meetings. But I'll miss having him there to back me up :(

I'll let you know how it goes!

Jena

good luck it sounds like you are well prepared and will handle it alone great!!

Let us know how it goes.

gcvmom

Here we go again!
The meeting went o.k. I was disappointed that his math teacher didn't show. They agree that he still needs the social skills work and the educational accommodations. I added a few more that I wanted, but they are going to just attach my document and defer to the new school he's transitioning to since they were not at all familiar with how things are run over there. It's not our normal feeder middle school. But I'm meeting with those people on the 14th and will simply bring his IEP and my overview sheet with me.

I am just so ready to be gone from this school. The case manager is a bit dingy and forgetful. She's a sweet lady, but just not very organized or mentally on top of things.

The best news was that his homeroom teacher reported that his behavior has been much improved, he's doing better in class and he's more mentally present. He's demonstrating more empathy and regard for others, too. I know it's due to the Depakote we reintroduced in March, combined with the Seroquel. I think the Depakote has finally ramped up and that's why he's doing so well. Now hopefully we can try to lower the Seroquel in a few more weeks and see if we can improve the sedation.

Turns out they haven't even started the state testing -- that's next week and the week after. So there really isn't much more instruction going on between now and the end of the year. I may start the medication adjustment after Memorial Day instead of waiting until mid-June.