difficult child and easy child update

Wiped Out

Staff member
Wow-we had the best winter break ever! difficult child is still difficult child but thankfully that lower dosage of Lamictal has really helped with the hypomania. I'm hoping it continues when school starts again tomorrow. On our visit to Michigan he did very well-got along with all of his cousins and second cousins except for minor squabbles. sister in law said she thought difficult child did fantastic while we stayed at their house-not perfect-but much like the other kids:) Yesterday and today were a bit rougher and I'm hoping it isn't because of school starting tomorrow.

So hard to believe that 2 1/2 weeks ago we (psychiatrist and us) were fairly certain difficult child would need to be hospitalized by the beginning of the year.

easy child continued to be sociable over the entire winter break (a bit more isolated yesterday and today but she does have a cold). She has been very pleasant for the most part. Usually when we visit in Michigan she mostly sleeps. This time she didn't even nap and was up at reasonable times each morning. She had a blast playing with our great nieces (her second cousins who are 2 and 3 years old). She was also very outgoing at the New Year's Eve party at sister in law's house.

For her, I'm hoping that she can start doing her hw as she heads back to school-she says she wants to and she seriously needs to.

husband and I are both really surprised that both maintained so well over break! Last year by the end of the second week we were both ready to go back to work just to get out of the house because both kiddos were driving us crazy!

Just thought I'd share the good news! Hoping I'm not jinxing anything by writing about it.

klmno

That is a great uupdate!! I'm glad they are both doing better and the whole family enjoyed the family visit and holidays. Lord knows, you deserved it! It's wonderful that the lower dose of medications apparently has prevented a psychiatric hospital stay, too. I hope things continue to go well and easy child can get on a roll coming out of her depression. It's seems to help so much when they can go back to school feeling good and feeling like they've they've gotten to refresh and enjoy themselves.

crazymama30

How nice. I am glad the decrease in Lamictal helped, I have heard it can be activating to some.

Here's hoping the positives continue for both kiddos!

K

Kjs

What a great update. When my difficult child was on Lamictal(which worked wonders), then it was increased at a certain point it caused him to be worse. There seemed to be that magical number in dosage that worked great.

Maybe I am missing some posts, but it seems like most had a calm winter break. Seems strange, because a week before break difficult child was out of control.

Really hoping this calmness is going to continue for all of us.

M

ML

How wonderful! I'm so happy to hear this update.

I go back to work today but manster gets two more days off. Getting back into a routine will be good, but I share your concerns.

Good things in 2010!

Fran

Former desparate mom
What a great update. You and husband deserve to have a moment of reprieve once and a while.
Fingers crossed that it continues.