difficult child and Santa Claus

cubsgirl

My difficult child is a sweetheart. He is going to be 16 later this month and he still believes in Santa Claus.

We tell him every year the truth about Santa and he just says "Oh stop lying to me, I know there is a Santa Claus". We were going to stop giving him gifts from "Santa" under the tree but he has this hopeful, very dear, aura about him and he really & truly believes and in some ways, I wish we adults had that same spirit of Christmas.

I think my difficult child embodies the very welcoming spirit of Christmas and I wanted to share his beliefs with you all. I've decided I'm ok even if he believes until he is 100.

hearts and roses

Mind Reader
I think he's the sweetest! My 'girls' are 24 and 22 and our family chooses to believe! I know it's not the same as your guy. I wish we could bottle up some of that spirit and hand it out to everyone!

buddy

That is so sweet. My friend tells his adult kids---and has always said this... if they dont believe then they dont get presents. They always will get Santa gifts. My 14 yr old truly believes too. Santa will come for him this year. I go thru the should I tell him thing every year.

trinityroyal

I think it's very sweet that your son still believes, and lovely that you've chosen to support him in it.

My difficult child still believes in Santa to a certain extent (he's just turned 22) and I see no reason to disillusion him. Santa still brings gifts for each of the children every year.

Little easy child knows that I have a part-time job as one of Santa's elves, and that I have a Regional Workshop in our basement where I help Santa to look after local gifts, but he's promised not to tell difficult child or the Monsters.

The Christmas spirit is a powerful, wonderful thing.

Trinity

DaisyFace

Love me...Love me not
I have known a few "real Santas" in my life...I have seen reindeer pull a sleigh (and darned if it didn't look as though they were flying as they come down that hill)...

And in my opinion, those folks who think Santa isn't real?

are missing out on some real holiday magic...

Why spoil it for those people who know best?

Wiped Out

Staff member
My difficult child is 14 and still believes too. I keep wondering if we should tell him something different. husband says no way! I think he is right.

tiredmommy

Santa is real if he lives in your heart! Duckie just announced the other day that she's changed her mind and wants to ge see "our" Santa at the local candy store. I'm not sure if she'll ask for anything or just say "thank you", either way... I'll take it. :)

slsh

member since 1999
I think it's totally endearing!!! (I believe in Santa too)

Consider the alternative - 2 years ago Diva decided Santa is a stalker and she's added further insult to injury this year by questioning our wisdom as parents because we let her sit on a "stranger's" lap... what on *earth* were we thinking? We didn't know who "Santa" was, how could we have entrusted our baby for a second to this weird man's care??? (Weird because he dresses up in a Santa suit and apparently enjoys having children sit on his lap.) :hammer:

Diva is a ripe old 13. :angrygirl: