difficult child back from camp

TerryJ2

I picked up difficult child today from camp. It was so different from last yr.
He actually talked to me, in detail, about what he did at camp. He sighed a cpl times at my questions, but that could be a teenager thing.
I was very impressed.
Afterward, we called one of his friends who lives in the area of camp (amazing how far away from school that friend lives!) and we got together for lunch and a museum. They were very well behaved and had a great time.
I was very impressed. I like this friend much better than his other friends. It's worth the drive.
In the car, to I told difficult child that his only chores today were to feed the animals and make his bed.
When we got home, he immediately fed them all. He'll make his bed as he climbs in ... in fact, he'll probably sleep on the mattress...

I hope he stays communicative and even tempered like this!
But you know how that goes. After camp, it's like a honeymoon period. Still, I wanted to share some good news.
:D

jannie

trying to survive....
That's great news !! I always loved camp. Is this the sleep away camp he attended last year or a day camp? Enjoy the conversation.

Shari

IsItFridayYet?
That's awesome. Every little bit of good news is another step in the right direction! Woohoo!

TerryJ2

Thanks!

Yes, he attended last yr and the yr b4, but it's not the super educational, expensive mo-long camp. It was just 5 days and nights.

He's been slightly bratty, since he's playing too much PS2, but in general, still doing pretty well. He helped me plant a bush on our dog's grave today.

TerryJ2

Thank you.
He was playing a battle game on his computer this a.m, where you have to build forts and create armies, and one of the cats played with-him. She was swatting at the moving knights on horses.
Too funny!

susiestar

Roll With It
ROFL about the cat helping him play his video game!! We used to have a bird that was addicted to nintendo games.

Be sure to limit the game time. If he gets surly, you may need to not let him play for a few days. With Wiz we got to the point that if he played certain games he got nasty and mean, so I got rid of those games. He got furious, esp when I found the names he had also used to hide it on the computer! But with-o certain games he eventually realized he was much nicer, so we kept those games away from him.

Now, when he plays, he will stop if he realizes he is getting agitated. It took a LONG time to become self-aware to the point that he could do this. We just removed the games and told him he was out of line, and eventually he learned some self regulation.

I wish the same for your difficult child!

Awesome that after no computer games for 5 days he was so talkative and polite!!!

TerryJ2

Yes, I'm thinking that no computer games for 5 days had something to do with-it! My son gets surly, too, when he plays them too much. In fact, that's just the word I used to describe him to my husband last wk.