difficult child brought home a permission slip to join ROTC!!!!

TerryJ2

He wants to drop one of his elective computer classes. OMG. What a shock. MY shock.
He'll be shocked when he realizes what he's gotten himself into!!

Not a problem for me if he actually wants someone else to boss him around, AND he has to wear a uniform, AND he has to hold open doors for people and say "Yes ma'am, No ma'am ..."

A new friend, B, who lives about a mile away, talked difficult child into it. Plus, difficult child said it would look good in court.

Alrighty, then. :winnersmiley:

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
You know the noise cartoon characters make when they are confused and shaking their heads, doing a double-take? The "bwtwtwtwtwtwtwt" one?

That's me right now.

InsaneCdn

For some difficult children, these kinds of environments work because it is rules driven... and the rules are clear. No innuendo, no "pick it up by osmosis". It's black and white, which makes it "easy". It's just not difficult child's black-and-white, so they are actually learning critical skills that will help in the workforce...

F

firehorsewoman

I agree with the others.

My son has had "General" difficult child written all over him since the day he was born.

by the way, my ex and are both military veterans so I have seen a few generals in my day.

Keep us posted Terry. I'm very interested to see how this turns out.

DammitJanet

You wouldnt believe how many difficult child's there are in JROTC. Jamie did 4 years of it in HS. It actually was great when he went into the Marines because it meant he went in as a Private First Class instead as just a buck private. One step up in pay grade.

klmno

This is great, Terry! It will do him a lot of good even if he doesn't do it all thru HS. Of course if he likes it and does it in college, it can pay for college! There's a lot more to it than having someone boss you around.

E had to do it his freashamn year in Department of Juvenile Justice sd and then even though he was released half-way thru that year, he chose to do it the remainder of the school year. The place they sent him when he went to Department of Juvenile Justice the 2nd time didn't have JROTC at their school, unfortunately.

It is great, too, that a friend talked him into it - that's a motivator to make it work and stick it out and to have someone he knows in the class with him.

LittleDudesMom

My difficult child is in his third year of air force jrotc and will probably do a senior flight next year. In the air force, you can join the air national guard your senior year, serve one weekend a month through the school year then do basic when you graduate - you go in with three stripes after that, a higher pay rate, and one year of your commitment completed!

It's been great for difficult child because they have strict guidelines in his program about keeping your grades up and your behavior in line at school - it's how you rank up and are allowed to stay in the program.

Hope difficult child likes it. You never know what impact the commanding officers will have on him....

Sharon

TerryJ2

Thank you all!

Day 1: Today he turned in the check I wrote for $35.

I met with-the 504 team, including the Sergeant. He said that difficult child will have to shave off his beard. (A sorry excuse for a beard ... )

Tonight I mentioned to difficult child that he will have to shave his beard and he flat-out said no. I told him he didn't have a choice and that's what the instructor said. difficult child started ramping up so I dropped the subject.

This could be the shortest ROTC enlistment in the course of history.:sochildish:

LittleDudesMom

Yeah, no facial hair and sideburns have to be shorter than mid-ear -- difficult child shaved his mustache off when he received his uniform last week.

Keep us posted...

Sharon

TerryJ2

Thank you!~
The uniform comes in this week so it will be interesting to see if he follows through with-shaving. He's already trying to get out of doing formation at the homecoming football game because he'd rather sit with-his girlfriend.

InsaneCdn

I don't remember if girlfriend is a positive or a negative... where does she stand on his participation? Would she be "proud" to see him in formation? HER reaction may tip the balance...