difficult child found a new sponsor

KFld

Well difficult child was 7 months clean yesterday and found a new sponsor. :bravo:

He had a sponsor a few months back who was very involved with him, until he found a girlfriend, then difficult child stopped hearing from him. He was pretty annoyed about it because he really seemed to connect with him and one day he said to me, I could relapse and he wouldn't even know it.

So last night he called and said he found a new sponsor at a meeting and last night they were going to a mens meeting and then he was coming back to his apartment to go over the steps together. Apparently he is on step 3. I'll have to refresh my memory on what the first 3 steps are so I can get an idea of where he's at with it right now.

:smile:

PonyGirl

Warrior Parent
Hi Karen, great news about your difficult child reaching out for a new sponsor!! That is really excellent.

Regarding the first 3 steps, I thought I'd share this easy explanation I heard in a meeting a few years back:

1. Admit
2. Believe
3. Decide

Simple!! The first 3 steps are really:

1. We Admit we are powerless over alcohol and our lives have become unmanageable
2. We come to Believe that a Power greater than ourselves can restore us to sanity.
3. We made a Decision to turn our will and our lives over to a Power greater than ourselves.

Peace

DDD

Geez, easy child/difficult child admits he is addicted but it may snow in hell before
he can get himself to say the word "powerless"! :(( DDD

Karen I am just SO truly impressed at how he has taken control of
his problems AND consistently seems to be working toward a lifelong solution.

KFld

I am pretty amazed myself at this road he's traveling right now. I used to believe that not everyone had to follow the program to stay clean, but from my experience with him and reading daily on this board the ups and downs of the difficult child's who don't follow the program and relapse, I guess I have really changed my mind. I know he was clean for a few months last year, but as soon as he moved from the soberhouse environment, he relapsed. I think he has realized what he has to do in order to stay clean. I was pretty sure once the other sponsor dissapeared, he would just sit back and not really think it was important, but I guess I was wrong.

I am very very proud of him!!!! I think I'm Hallmark proud. I have to stop on my way home from work and get him a card :smile:

Loris

The card sounds like a great idea. He does need to hear how proud you are, all our difficult children need to know that sometimes. I'm thrilled for both of you.

saving grace

Wow Karen he is really making some good decisions lately. Good for him, my difficult child would never get a sponsor never mind 2! I am really proud of your difficult child. Is he still working at the hobbyshop?

I hope some day I can post a 7 month anniversery!!

grace

KFld

Yes, he's still at the hobby shop. I wish he would look for something with better pay and benefits, but since he's paying all his bills and never asks me for money, I just keep my mouth shut.

I hope everyone on this board who's difficult child's are involved in drugs can post a 7 month anniversary someday. That would be wonderful!!

Hi KFld

COngratulations are an order for your difficult child. It would have been so very easy for him to use his sponsor's irresponsible behavior as an excuse to give up or relapse. FOr someone that doesn't even have a year of sobriety under his belt, your difficult child showed great responsibility and resolve by seeking out a new sponsor. It seems to me, that he indeed "has got it".
Kudos on his 7 month anniversary. That is a tremendous accomplishment, and a difficult one as well. He's on the right track!

KFld

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BigBadKitty</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> It would have been so very easy for him to use his sponsor's irresponsible behavior as an excuse to give up or relapse. </div></div>

That is exactly what the old difficult child would have done. I guess I am previewing the new and improved model :smile:

SunnyFlorida

:bravo: How wonderful for you and your difficult child. He has just done spectacular. His board "aunties" are so very proud of him.

You sound so strong Karen and relaxed :smile:

Congratulations for a wonderful post.