difficult child Fugitive and headed here.. with friends!

susiestar

Roll With It
I am glad the evening went much better than you expected! That is AWESOME!

I think you have pretty realistic expectations for the future. Telling difficult child you do not have expectations because you want her to know your love is unconditional was beautiful. Truly beautiful. Someday she will really appreciate your love.

Not upset or scared at all by your plans. They seem very well-grounded. Keep them in mind, and I think things will eventually work out.

Hugs!

Andy

I am very happy that your meeting was "successful". Your SO is a great partner and I am sure his background experience is also a strength to you.

I am glad the kids used the money for the room - I would have been tempted to drive over and pay in person.

You are handling this beautifully and sharing with us will help if/when we ever are in that situation (some are).

Not giving her expectations is awesome. If you did, she would make it your responsibility for them to come true for her. She has to find within herself what life means to her and how she truly wants to live it. Then it is up to her to do the work to achieve that. You have a lot of wisdom when it comes to your daughter.

Some day, she may grow up enough to realize that she can be more than she is today. You are keeping that door open for her to return to you when she is ready to move up to that dream.

Let us know how things progress. I hope you get that one on one visit with her. I think it would be appropriate to call her and invite her to brunch just the two of you tomorrow.

C.J.

I had hoped you would post about the visit tonight. I'm glad it went well, and that all the kids are off site.

You so eloquenlty articulated yourself with your comment that you had no expectations, because love cannot be forced. I'm borrowing that for future use with my difficult child. I've told her I don't love her any more on the good days, and don't love her any less on the bad days. Side note: Though I really enjoy being around her more when she's having a good day.

You and SO are doing good things. I'm proud of your choices.

Rhonda

slightly wilted Magnolia
smiles smiles smiles... Thank you all. again again again.. What we do each day is so hard... what we do the few times we have the opportunity is even harder... and totally terrifiying!

I hope all of you are right (that makes me right too.. right?!).. It is the hardest and easiest thing to love them. I know you all agree with that.. I have heard it in every post from everyone out here in every forum.

What was really hard was to go with my own way of handling things when I could hear so much concern from everyone. I read all the things everyone offered and I saw so much wisdom in them all and I was so afraid of making steps that would ultimately cause more harm than good (for everyone involved). But in truth, you all kept me grounded and I just followed my beliefs for my daughter. All of our difficult child's are different, they are all led and pushed by different things. I am as close as it gets to being the authority on my own difficult child, and it is the same for each of us. So, I did not let the exact way everyone else thinks or sees my situation dictate how to handle it, I let it keep my eyes open and focused. I felt every persons words to the bottom of my toes and it kept me real. I was never alone today. I never am, I am trying to remember that. None of us ever are, but, goodness knows, it feels that way sometimes.

I understand that if she ever lives at home again that things have to be different. I know that.. really I do. But deep inside, I think the rules and expectations were part of the problem and part of the reason she could not stay here to begin with. So, I can't do that again, I can't set her up to fail, and I can't take the disapointment. And I won't put myself or her through that.

The money I gave her and her "friends" was free, they did not ask for it. I gave it to them with information about the hotel. But, I made it clear that it was up to them how they wanted to use it. It never crossed my mind to make sure of what they did with it. I knew they might go buy drugs and sleep in the car. But, I did not think they would.. I waited to see what I thought of them before offering it and felt ok with my choice, whether it was right or wrong. They actually called me and told me that one of the boys mothers paid for the room with her credit card and then they asked me what to do with the money (shock). The boy who drove really wanted to have his oil changed.. rofl (after driving thousands of miles)... I simply told them to try to remember that they needed a place to sleep tomorrow night also and it was up to them what to do with the money, it was given freely with no expectations.

I will say this.. I am not trying to make this work.. I am trying to survive it. I am hoping that the way I am surviving it will help someone else and maybe just maybe it will help my difficult child on her chosen path. Maybe not.. no expectations..

Hugs.. I am having my second glass of wine and going to bed... knowing my daughter is close.....dreamy feeling... pinch me...let me have my one night.. tomorrow i will face reality again..

Rhonda

TerryJ2

Oh, Rhonda. Sigh.
I am so glad you got to see her.
I think you're right about the first time she has a huge setback, she'll resort to drugs.
It will be a long haul, but it does appear that she has it in her to keep moving forward.
I'm glad things worked out. I can only imagine how hungry they were!

D

Dollhouse

What a blessing it must have been to see her...

Many prayers for you and yours,
Doll
(formally CJN)

missy44

Hi Rhonda,
It's so hard to know what the "right" thing to do is. I'm glad you were able to see your daughter, albeit it was difficult I'm sure.

OUr stories seem so similar, my heart aches for you. I don't know the extent of my son's drug issue, it must be horrible knowing the details.

Take care of yours. Hugs....

Oh Rhonda your post brought me to tears. You are truly very smart. I am glad you got to see her. Right now I dont know where my son is and I hope he is ok. He is living with friends after we had to ask him to leave our home - again - it is very hard and sad when they cant see the outcome of their actions. I hope the best for you and your daughter.

rejectedmom

Rhonda, I am glad you had a good visit and that the difficult children seem to be respectful and appreciative of your assistance.

Only one possibly negative thing stood out to me in your post about their visit to your home. That was the request to use the bathroom to wash up. Although this seems a very reasonable request from somone who has been onthe road for a long time, those of us with alot of difficult child drug use experience can tell you that this request is often not as "simple" as it appears. Kids who use drugs will do this to get access to your medicine cabinet and the drugs in it.

I'm not trying to burst yor bubble. I truly am happy that you had a good visit and understand all the feelings that you experienced. I have been in your shoes.

Because of that I also understand how those good motherly feelings can fuzz over our perceptions. For that reason I just wanted to make a mention of an alternative possibility so that you can make sure any medications are locked up and out of sight when/if they come to your home again.

I hope your daughter gets her life together and you are able to repair and grow your relationship in the future. -RM

Rhonda

slightly wilted Magnolia
Thanks much Rejected-- ;) Had those medications in a ziplock and hidden before they crossed the state line! Along with all valuables! I mean I even locked up the tylenol! Good news is so far nothing is missing and I havent seen that tendencey yet. I think it is just the "not wanting to bite the hand that feeds" yet! If I give her the opp.. might happen though.

rejectedmom

Good Job Rhonda! You are correct that you should never forget to protect yourself and your belongings. My son is doing well right now but I still do not let him in the house unless someone is with him. And then absolutely not upstairs! He doesn't like it but husband reminded him that it is the direct results of his past actions and that he has to earn back our trust. husband also told him trust is something that will take time and his continued effort. -RM