difficult child Going to Church Camp Tomorrow... **Updated**

Stella Johnson

difficult child has gone to a special needs camp for the last 4 summers. She has never had problems at that camp and it is an overnight camp that lasts 6 days.

This year she is going to church camp. The church gave her a scholarship since I was laid off.

This is the first "regular kid" camp she has been to. I'm scared to death. She has grown leaps and bounds in the social department but she is still immature for her age.

At least it isn't far away. Crossing all body parts this works out.

steph

JJJ

My difficult child (Kanga) is doing all "regular kid" camps this year. She refuses to attend "crazy kid camp" (her words). It is hard for her because her maturity is not there, her language skills are not there and her social skills are not there. But she manages, and we have seen improvement in her social skills. We do all religious camps as well as my thought is that they should have compassion for her (at least in theory) as that is part of our faith. I think it helps her to go to the regular camp because it builds her idea of herself as being capable of being a regular kid, someday.

TerryJ2

Steph,
I just went through that... although we've never done a special needs camp. (Crazy Kids' Camp, LOL!) I worried needlessly. Nothing happened. In fact, being with-other kids, strangers, overnight, was a great wake-up call for difficult child. (His roommate was so fidgety, he fell off the top bunk one night!)
Try to relax and use your time wisely. If they call you to get her, they do. If they don't, they don't.
by the way, I would guess that the first 2 days will be the best, since it will be new and intimidating, and she will regress once she starts to feel comfortable. So if you're going to get anything done at home or take a nice break, do it early!
Good luck!

Tezzie

Steph,
My boys have gone to 1 week church camp for the last 7 years. I prep-ed the director the first year on the best way to deal with each of them & what types of behaviors they might see. Some years I also got a chance to talk with the boys' counselors at the beginning too.

Each year after that, I would remind the director of the best way to work with difficult child 1. The director has been great!! difficult child had about 1 mid-level problem per session for a number of years but never to the point where he needed to be sent home.

This year the director called Friday night (camp is over Saturday noon) to let us know difficult child 1 had had a good week all week. His comment was, "When I've called you in the past it's always been bad news so I thought I would call this year with good news."

Prep the staff at the beginning & enjoy your week.

Tezzie

Stella Johnson

Glad to hear everyone else's camps have gone well. It gives me hope.
I always dread phone calls from camp. They are never good. Hopefully I won't get any this time.

difficult child still wants to go to her special needs camp. I didn't sign her up for it since we did not get the funds from the state this year. I guess I will see if they have some other sort of scholarship.

Steph

On_Call

Steph,

Wanted you to know that I'll be crossing my fingers for you all week! I agree - there should be more compassion at a Church camp, but I can imagine how you feel - I would be nervous, too.

Just think, though, when difficult child succeeds at this - it will be a huge accomplishment that you can both be proud of!!

Try to :bath: and enjoy your week, too.

Sending lots of good thoughts! :angel:

Stella Johnson

The nurse from camp called this morning. :nonono:

difficult child was complaining of urinating blood and stomach cramps. She actually started her period a few months ago. She gets it confused with bladder infections which she used to get alot of.

I told the nurse to let her put a pad on and see if that's what it really is. If not, I have to go pick her up tomorrow to see the doctor. :slap: They are going to give her some Tylenol.

I talked to her and reminded her she gets cramps with her period too. So... we will see. What a week to get this. Poor kid is only 10 years old.

Steph

On_Call

Oh no! Poor kid! I agree - bad enough she has to have her period at 10 anyway, but then to have it camp week. Hugs going out to her - and to you.

Alisonlg

Poor difficult child!!! Hopefully it is just her period and not a bladder infection! Of all the weeks!

Sending both of you some hugs tonight!