difficult child hospitalized

Star*

call 911........call 911
Nomad,

I was busy with a grandog this weekend so was not on the board (sorry) sounds like you have a plan for this problem. Like you needed EXTRA BS from another difficult child with- a brother and 2 kids in tow.

I would hope that your daughter would get her phone number changed and tell this so-called friend to not bother calling again - EVER. As far as taking them to the airport? I don't know about you hauling 2 children without proper car seats? It could be a set up for you to get a ticket. I would really call the police, tell them that she's agreed to leave but - you have to find a safe and appropriate way to get her and the children to the airport and you have no safety seat - sometimes they will loan you one or two.

Personally? I would have grabbed that woman by the pants and the shirt and hauled her out the front door in a bums rush manner - but then it's only assault if YOU don't have more witnesses than she does. ARGH.

I think I would also ask the landlord to shut the power off to that apartment if they are NOT gone by tonight. And I would get him to come in and inspect the apartment NOW so if there is any vandalism - your daughter isnt' held responsible. Know what I mean? I think that is only fair.

Nothing makes squatters "git" like no a/c and no tv.

So sorry you have to go through this. Take some extra vitamin C this week.

Hugs

Coookie

Nomad,

Just sending a hug. I have never heard of "Squatters Rights".......

You need to take care of yourself and continue with your routine as much as possible. That is what helps to keep us sane... me anyway. :anxious:

Hugs

witzend

"Squatter's rights" to stay in an apartment where she was invited to stay for three days by the tenant... while the legal tenant was living there? I don't think so. Squatter's rights refer to the gaining legal title to a property after living there for a specified period of time of exclusive use. I would be calling the police station or the district attorney to find out how "squatter's rights" are legally defined in your city/town. I think the cops made that up because it was the easiest thing to do. You may have to do an eviction, but that's because this particular squatter really has no rights. The eviction puts that in writing.

All they need to do to claim squatters rights is show evidence of tenancy. If they have clothing there, and difficult child is saying they have been there for weeks, that's squatter's rights. Sara, I believe that you are thinking of "right of possession".

It's difficult child's word against theirs, and the police aren't going to arbitrate it. If difficult child doesn't own the apartment, she can't do an eviction. Only the owner or property manager can do an eviction.

Sara PA

Google it.

Having things at someone's house doesn't establish tenancy. I've had this conversation with police officers before. They were talking out their hats to make their job easier. It didn't work with me.

Wiped Out

Staff member
Nomad,
So sorry I didn't see this earlier (I don't often remember to check other forums-need to get better at this).

What a horrible situation. Never have heard of squatters rights. Sending many gentle hugs your way.