difficult child & I giggled during serious psychiatrist session!

Andy

We couldn't help it. We were discussing what to do when difficult child does not listen. Time out, yadda, yadda, yadda, what to do if he doesn't stay in time out, yadda, yadda, yadda. I told psychiatrist that my concern is HOW to get him into timeout, what to do when (notice, I did not say if - because it never happens) he doesn't go into his room when told.

psychiatrist gets to the point were I am suppose to write down a list of chores that difficult child hates and start pulling from that list. psychiatrist gives examples of, "Scrubbing toilet, picking up doggie poop, ...." I looked over at difficult child and just lost it. He was smirking and I just started giggling. I couldn't help it. You see, unlike most "normal" people (no matter of diabilities), difficult child does not hate these two things. In fact he rather likes helping out by doing these. Everytime we made eye contact, we would both start giggling. (I told him I would find some chores he doesn't like.)

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

I would love to see psychiatrist's report on today's session. Something to the effect, "Poor kid doesn't have a chance - Crazy mom!"

Oh well, it was a good session anyway and I picked up some more tools for working with difficult child.

busywend

Very cool! Those are the moments that you have to hang onto! You will always be able to threaten to 'make him pick up the dog poop'. It will make you both smile.

Wiped Out

Staff member
I love it! Didn't the psychiatrist ask what was so funny? Ours would have and would have laughed alone with us!

night4now

LOL, that is awsome! Its great when you can laugh together, and have a good time to remember the next time there is a bad one.
As for the list... our dcfs caseworker reccomended the same thing! I actually did it, all the things they hate (like cleaning the bathroom and scooping doggie poop!) in corelation to different things they did. The worse the thing the more they hate the punishment. I cant tell ya if its worked yet, we only have been doing it a week... but its a lot better than me being in time out watching them be in time out!

TerryJ2

I can't believe psychiatrist didn't ask. Oh well.

difficult child likes poop scooping? Wow. Send him over.

Christy

That's funny.

There is a new service advertising in our town called Super Pooper Scoopers. You pay them to come to your home and clean your yard. Maybe if difficult child is enterprising, he could make some $$$ :)