difficult child in first day of rehab

wantpeace

Well, he's in! The lawyer finally agreed (or got tired of me calling him) that sending my difficult child to treatment was a good idea. His bond agreement was changed yesterday, and today he was officially checked into an inpatient treatment center for the next 2 1/2 weeks. He went willingly and peacefully. I can't talk to him until next week and he can't have any electronics. The rules are quite strict which is good. I actually just got a call asking me to bring some plain tshirts because those he brought have drug references. I must be stupid because I never even realized that! The inpatient stay will be followed by 6 weeks of intensive outpatient and several weeks of aftercare. Now that I got him there, I'm starting to stress about how I'm going to transport him four days a week to outpatient (hour drive and I work during those hours). Will our difficult children ever appreciate what we go through to help them during recovery? I guess it doesn't even matter as long as he gets better.

Hugs,
wantpeace

A

AmericanGirl

Wantpeace....very, very happy for you.

Maybe something will work out between now and then for the outpatient. I sure hope so.

Fingers crossed!

exhausted

This is a good start. I hope it makes a difference. The road to recovery is tough. Take care of yourself the next few weeks-you will need the rest. I hope you can get some help with transport or work out your hours. :)

exhausted

Oh heck, I just noticed you were a fellow teacher-hours don't work out for us! Bus there? Is there a transport service?

That is great news! It is a good sign that your difficult child went willingly to rehab, and he did not give you any trouble about going there. Now you will have several weeks of peace in your house, and you can start to relax and take care of all your stress. My difficult child was in rehab for 30 days in the fall, and that was the first time in a long time that I knew my son was safe and I could actually sleep at night. Try to take care of yourself while he is in rehab, because this time will pass much too quickly!

About the intensive outpatient program: Can you find an IOP program that is offered in the evenings? In our area they have IOP program for adolescents in the afternoons, and programs for adults in the evenings. Because your son is considered an adult where you live you may be able to get him in an IOP program in the evenings.

Good luck, and enjoy the peace in your house now. HUGS....

Kathy813

Staff member
When my difficult child was in rehab, she called and asked me to bring her some hoodies. When I started looking through her clothes, I realized that every hoodie had some reference to alcohol. I was shocked that I had never noticed that before. She was not allowed to have anything with drug or alcohol references, either.

I had to go to wal-mart and buy her a couple of plain hoodies.

I am so glad that your difficult child went into rehab without a struggle. I agree with PV . . . the time that my difficult child was locked in rehab was the most peaceful month we had in years.

~Kathy

Nancy

Ditto to what the others say about rehab time being the first time they can sleep at night in peace. Thank goodness he is there. Way to go on your persistence mom. Now is a good time to get rid of all his clothing with drug references.

I hope you find a way for the iop. Keep us posted on his progress.

Nancy

P

Prima

That is wonderful news, I pray that they will have a spiritual awakening and continue on their road to recovery. Now it's time for you to relax mom, sleep well and focus on enjoying your mini-vacation and let them learn the tools to live substance free.

DDD

Congrats! It is time for you to exhale and change your focus from difficult child to YOU. Regenerating your own body and soul is hugely important so you can be prepared for whatever stresses are in the future. I have my fingers crossed that your son will embrace the message and envision a better future sober. The relief of not having to saty on pins and needles of stess and worry...enjoy it as best your can. Hugs DDD