difficult child in hospital

Bugsy

Chris,
I tried to PM you but it said you do not receive them. I hope I did not break a policy giving the hospital name below.

We live in Charlotte. My son was in presbyterian. They do not take under 7 years old but my son was 6 years 10months and the chief of the floor is my son's psychiatrist's partner. So they were able to make the exception.

The floor is definately geared more for older kids. Even though they have experience with younger ones there are certainly more older kids. The nurses were very loving, firm and I think loved having him.

I can tell you more if you would like.

What would you like to know?

I truly know what you are going through.
The hospitalization, the getting hurt, the worry, stress, feeling bad, etc etc.
i do not have to imagine it, I actually feel it. My son used to be so violent. I have bite marks from years ago as scars.

I used to be so mad that other mommy's could sit and chat at Chuck E cheese while I had to shadow him EVERYWHERE. we could only stay for a max of 45 minutes and then deal with a horrible, violent melt down.

Well, yesterday we went for the first time in a year or so and I sat for 2 1/2 hours and never had to get up. He had a great time, was in control, had no trouble and was polite to all.
I hope that helped.
Bugsy's mom

Thank you so much, Susie. And to everyone else also- these replies have helped me so much today. My brother mentioned an EEG to me today. I'm going to look into this further.

amazeofgrace

A maze of Grace - that about sums it up
sweetie our boats were made by the same company! My difficult child II sounds alot like your son. You know your son's triggers, I push buttons when I have to, not all "professionals" appreciate it, but, I do not care, they need to see the rage and realize it's a reality. The hospital may see him at his worst when you are not there, he's still in the "honeymoon" phase. My difficult child II was an angel until the night b4 he was discharged when he threatened to kill a nurse and had to be sedated.

Stay strong, it never get easier, but I have found peace when difficult child II is in hospital (twice so far), which also helped me be prepared for difficult child I latest stint in JV. Many in these boards have advised me, and I agree, take advantage of the down time for R & R, you need to heal and refuel.

Steely

Many hugs..........it is so hard to see our kids in a hospital, let alone at that age. Yet, many of us have traveled that road.

While your son is in phosph make sure that he gets a full psychological work up - in fact demand that he is not released without the proper testing. This includes 8 hours worth of testing that will help diagnosis many things, the least of which includes Aspergers.

The proper medications are crucial at this point to help him stabilize. Lamictal is a good medication, but 10mg is really low. He may also need more of a mood stabilizer for the short time, like Seroquel or Risperdal. Again, demand that he trial a new medication, and that you see results, before he is released.

You have to be a real aggressive character in these phosph settings to get your kids what they need. It is just the way they are set up. Do not be afraid to demand what you think is fair and appropriate. The most they can do is deny it.

This will all get better. I promise.