difficult child in psychiatric hospital

flutterby

Fly away!
Went to psychiatrist appointment today and I was very firm. Last time difficult child did not want to talk, this time I did all the talking - although, she didn't seem interested in talking anyway. I was firm with psychiatrist about what is going on and shared pretty much exactly what I shared in the other post. Think she got it.

While they were dealing with insurance, I asked to speak to psychiatrist privately because I wanted to tell her about difficult child's journals (of which, I'm not supposed to know the contents). Turns out it was great timing because they were having trouble getting insurance approval, but once psychiatrist heard that difficult child wishes we were all dead, she was in.

Almost had to have security come to take difficult child out of psychiatrist's office. This was against her will. In the state of Ohio, the parent has full consent. Thank God.

So, I've ruined her life and she hates me...but that's not really any different than any other day. It seems like a really nice place and were already working on accommodating her diet (vegan).

I have to go back later to take her stuff. This is short term, crisis stay. The other services I listed on the other thread that their website said they offered, were discontinued a few months ago. So, we are still on the hunt for an Residential Treatment Center (RTC).

I have to say, in this state at least, medicaid gets you way better mental health care than traditional insurance. Primary insurance refused.

bby31288

Take time to re-charge your warrior mom suit! Since this is short term, you will need it to continue the work and any progress! Big Hugs!

DaisyFace

Love me...Love me not
Heather--

I am so glad to hear that you have finally gotten psychiatrist's attention. I will keep my fingers crossed for an Residential Treatment Center (RTC).

totoro

Mom? What's a difficult child?
I truly hope this is a start.

I know this is hard try to recharge your mind and body during this time.
Funny when K was in 5 wk psychiatric hospital it didn't seem to recharge me... but we can hope!

flutterby

Fly away!
Right now, I just feel like I can't breathe - like I'm hyperventilating. I had about 2 hours sleep last night, was not really expecting her to be admitted today and have so much to do. Can't take a klonopin because I didn't sleep enough and still have to get her stuff together and go back down there. Will take one when I get home though, for sure.

I had to go to Kohl's and get her new jammies, bras without underwire, and a sweater/sweatshirt without a metal zipper. Then I went to the grocery store to get some organic milk and her vegetarian "meat" products. The psychiatric hospital said they would do that, but I wanted to get her something to start with and that I know she'll eat. easy child's DF was at work and she asked to leave 2 hours early so she could go with me for these things. I asked easy child if he could get off work early to take me back and that's not going to happen. difficult child 2's mom, who difficult child *really* likes is going with me, though. Figured I need a buffer and I think it will be good for difficult child.

She will meet with psychiatrist every day, as well as social worker. They will have lots of individual and group therapy, recreation and school work. I called the school and asked for assignments (just what the teachers think is important because she's too far behind to get completely caught up) and I'll take those to her tomorrow. I am welcome to call psychiatrist and/or social worker whenever I want.

difficult child was ticked at the recreation because it's gym and she doesn't like sports. She asked if she had to participate and they told her that the more she participates in everything, the sooner she'll get to come home.

My head is spinning right now. Hopefully tonight I can catch my breath.

I feel guilty because I haven't cried or gotten upset. Shouldn't I be doing that? I don't know if I'm too tired, too overwhelmed, or too relieved - or all of the above. Of course, I did enough crying last night about everything.

Anyway, thanks for listening and for the support. I feel like a chipmunk on speed. I don't even want to know what my BiPolar (BP) or heart rate is. That reminds me...I forgot my medications today. Sigh.......

flutterby

Fly away!
Oh...and they have pictures up that read:

Watch your thoughts because they become words
Watch your words because they become actions
Watch your actions because they become habit
Watch your habits because they become your character
Watch your character because it is your destiny

I don't think I got the quote exactly right and I can't remember the author....but I really liked it.

LittleDudesMom

Heather,

TAKE YOUR medications NOW!!!!!

I don't think there is anything wrong with the fact that you haven't cried yet. You are busy getting this going and perhaps tonight you will be able to think a little. You are on autopilot....

When you do get that time to think, make sure you keep your daughter's health and future foremost in your mind. It was a blessing, the timing of this psychiatrist meeting. Her resistance to participate will not be tolerated and she can hopefully begin to tune back in.

You use the time to tune back in as well. Take care of yourself.

Sharon

klmno

Don't worry about not crying yet- it will surely come in due time. Is the first time she's been in a psychiatric hospital?

I like that saying- all our difficult child's need to get that point then they would be good to go- except when they are in the "I don't care" frame of mind. Sigh.

trinityroyal

Heather, I agree with LDM and Klmno. It's perfectly normal not to cry yet. You're still in crisis-gotta-fix-everything-mode, so there's no time to let the emotions in yet. The tears will come when you're ready for them and when you most need them. Until then, hang in there and TAKE YOUR medications!

Sending many hugs.

Trinity

KTMom91

Heather, hugs to you and difficult child. I'm glad you were able to get psychiatrist's attention and difficult child's starting to get the help she needs.

CrazyinVA

Staff member
It's ok not to cry yet.. and it's ok if you never cry, either. Give yourself permission to feel relieved... it's perfectly understandable.

Hugs again. Take care of YOU.

crazymama30

Hugs. I am glad she is there and hope she gets some help. Make sure you try to take care of yourself at some point, sooner than later I hope.

Wiped Out

Staff member
Keeping you and her in my prayers. I agree that it is totally o.k. that you haven't cried yet and even if you don't. With difficult child's most recent hospitalization I'm not sure I cried at all. I really hope that good changes come out of this hospitalization for her. Be sure to use this time to recharge. Many hugs.

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
It's NORMAL to feel a sense of relief in a situation like this! In my case, where husband's hospitalizations were for physical reasons; it was still a great relief to not have to be "on" at all times.

Use the time to take care of yourself and regroup. difficult child is being taken care of by those qualified to care for her. It's your turn now.

gcvmom

Here we go again!
There's no right or wrong with what you're feeling. The emotions will come out however they need to. I'm glad everything came together like it did, otherwise, it may never have happened.

Hang in there, Heather. You're doing the right thing.

(((((Hugs)))))

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Believe me, you'll cry when you're ready.

But difficult child is where she needs to be. And I have to say I also loved the fact that Ohio isn't one who handed over authority to a child on whether or not to get treatment. That sooooo worked in my favor with Nichole. difficult child will be in both my thoughts and my prayers. I hope they can help her reach some sort of stability.

As for you, make sure you take some of this time as a break. Not easy, but you know you need it.

Love the quote from the psychiatric hospital. It's going to be posted to my wall. I think MY difficult child might learn from it.

((((hugs))))