difficult child is 21

everywoman

Yesterday was his birthday. Thursday night he went to the local convenience store at 12:30 am and tried to buy beer---they wouldn't sell it to him and told him he had to wait until 7 am to buy it. He doesn't drink, but saw buying beer as a right of passage, I guess. Last night he went to the beach and stayed with friends. I had a stomach bug and didn't feel up to going out to dinner last night, maybe tonight. He is still working. He is much easier to live with although he is still very emotionally fragile. He is still a difficult child but slowly maturing. At 21, he is now socially and emotionally about 18. I'm hoping the next year will lead to more maturing.

DammitJanet

Happy Birthday difficult child!

I am LOLing about the beer. Such a typical teen thing to do. Actually not a typical teen...a normal adult thing to do. I remember doing it myself. All my kids did it.

Have you changed your profile? I need to go change mine. Billy turned 28 on the 30th. And my other Billie turned 28 in Feb! My kids are getting so old! Jamie and Cory will be 25 and 23 respectively in July. I maintain that they are aging and I am not...lol.

jbrain

Happy Birthday to difficult child! My difficult child 1 will be 21 on May 26th--she can finally legally drink after drinking illegally for about 10 years! She grew up so fast I don't think the 21st birthday has the same allure for her as some kids. My easy child son will be 25 on May 29th.

How the heck did these kids get so old when we are so young!?

Jane

DammitJanet

jane...I remember when I reached those legal ages...back then it was 18 for beer and 21 for liquor. I just didnt hold the same allure to actually drink when it was legal...lol. I had been going to bars and drinking mixed drinks and never got carded when I was under aged. When I finally was over 21 it just wasnt as fun anymore.

Suz

(the future) MRS. GERE
Happy Birthday to difficult child, EW. I hope YOUR gift this year is the gift of maturity for difficult child. He's come a long way in this last year so we can hope that next year is even better! :thumbsup:

Suz

Lothlorien

Happy Birthday difficult child! It's great that he's not a drinker, especially from your description of him being socially about 18. Hope he continues to mature and makes his momma proud!

Fran

Former desparate mom
Happy Birthday everywoman. You survived 21yrs.
Best of luck for your difficult child. Sounds like he is doing well.

Wiped Out

Staff member
Happy Birthday to your difficult child! I remember when I turned 18 and was legal. I went out for a late night hamburger and beer with my dad after I got off of work.

everywoman

We took difficult child out tonight for dinner. He ordered a mixed drink. I ended up drinking it. It seems he had a little too much last night. Like I said earlier, he is not a drinker. And he knows it. But, we had a good dinner and enjoyed the night.

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Had to lol about the buying the beer. sister in law did it on his 21st birthday.....then dumped it down the drain. easy child did it.....one mind you. Travis finally did it.......took him until 22. Nichole wants no part of it at all. lol

It was 18 where I grew up and I got snookered on my birthday. (and it takes ALOT to get me snookered) lol

So glad the maturity bug is taking hold in him. Hope it keeps a firm grip. Glad you had a nice dinner together. :)

Hugs