difficult child is doing really well :) thanks to all of you for helping me with medication issue

Jena

hi

so i had to share this, difficult child is doing really well. Granted we had manic episode this past weekend which was rough, very rough.

Yet overall when i looked at the time since medication started there has been def improvement. I have seen.....

sleep every single night; (a few nights during manic time she slept minimal but she still went down

bedwetting has ceased (except one night during manic episode)

she for the very first time approached a girl in school with whom she had been wanting to befriend for over a year now, built up the nerve and asked if they could sit together at lunch. This was huge!! She has never ever done this before, ever.

No nurse visits since medication started at all! (not a one)

She hasn't had a depressive episode, hasnt' told me my mind's making me crazy; or i feel like i have two minds, or constant and continous crying bouts for periods and hours at a time (we have had a few small ones; yet they ended within a half hour)

She actually talked to the new therapist about stuff; i was shocked

moods are a bit more even; we are still experiencing the raging to an extent; always towards me only; or boyfriend's kids.

Overall i'm pleased with her response to the medications. For the very first time since being her Mom i'm able to sit with her and actually troubleshoot different social situations. We also do role playing alot the past week or so.

So, i wanted to give everyone an update and thank all of you, my friends for staying on me about medicating her again. I am hopeful that she continues to improve. First time in a long time seeing such consistant improvement.

Holidays we have noticed are usually a rough time for her as with many of our difficult child's. last time this year she was in an extremely depressed mode, very anxiety ridden, very manicky when it hit, mood was all over the place. that is when she went to hospital for evaluation and they diagnosis major depressive disorder, social anxiety, and Generalized Anxiety Disorder (GAD), executive functioning skills defencies, etc. etc.

thanks!! here's hoping.........:D

B

bran155

That's wonderful!!!! I am so happy for you Mom. It is nice to read good news, as for us good news is usually far and few between.

Keeping my finger's crossed for you. God bless. :)

totoro

Mom? What's a difficult child?
Hold onto this! You are doing a great job!
Let her know how proud you are of her and what a great job she is doing as well.

smallworld

Jen, that's great news.

How much Seroquel is she taking? I suspect you'll have to up it to stop the raging. At low doses, it can lose its effectiveness so you may have to increase it in time for this reason as well.

May it continue!

Jena

hi

bran thanks for taking the time to say that. :) i hope you are well.

toto yes I most certainly will. she's very proud of herself. she just keeps saying this pill is amazing. i get nervous and scared but i'm able to work thru it she has been practicing "self talk" in those moments. :) wow is all i can say. we didnt' have this response two years ago when she was on seroquel. maybe it was too high i don't know maybe her bio make up is changing she is pre puberty now

small hi, yes it is. she's at almost 25 mg. now, we have doctor appointment for one mos check up i think next week. i know in time i'll have to increase it. I think i'm just fascinated for the first time ever she's truly functioning and finding ways to cope in difficult triggering situations. i still see the anxiety it's still prevelant, yet we are able to talk thru it most times than not as of late. it's really astounding. i will mention it to doctor next week. i think you may have been the one to push me that day when doctor prescirbed thorazine i was flipping out. than you said hey try seroquel?? sound familiar :)

Jena

sharon you snuck in lol. thanks :)

small - i hope we dont' lose this affect now if we dont' increase at the right time. also i wonder if that's why she's still having the depressive i guess i should say hours. last year it was mos. so yes i'm totally greatful for that. yet id' love to alleviate all that for her now that i see i can actually get rid of some of it.

smallworld

Yes, I did suggest Seroquel. It's been something of a miracle medication for my son in the anxiety and depression departments. And I was reluctant to try another AP after my son had a horrible reaction to Risperdal.

Good luck.

TerryJ2

Jen, that's wonderful! Halfway through your note, I had to scroll to the bottom to see what she was on! Wow. I hope it continues on an upward turn. What a relief. I suspect we'll try it in a cpl yrs when our difficult child has outgrown his current medication mix.
I think that's really neat that your difficult child asked another girl to sit together at lunch. Awesome. Congratulations.