difficult child is funny when he describes things

N

nandz

He started Focalin XR 15 mg this past weekend. I had to switch him because Adderall just made him mean, moody, aggressive. He would be super emotional and agitated. I told his psychiatrist that Adderall was just not helping him and that we needed to change. He was hesitant to start him on an XR medication since he said short release usually work better for younger patients, but he decided to give Focalin XR a try. He took his first few this weekend and he was calm and really good all weekend. Things that usually frustrated him were a lot better on the Focalin vs that Adderall. Today is the real test since it's his first school day on the new medication. We'll see what happened when he gets home from school today.

Anyways, I asked him if he liked the "old pill" (Adderall) or the "new pill" better. He said, "Mommy, I think I like the new pill better because the old pill made me all wild and crazy." I didn't laugh, but I wanted to. It was so cute the way he said it. I think that was his way of trying to tell me that the Adderall made him agitated. I felt bad for him too. But, the Focalin seems to have helped him this weekend. He went shopping with me on Saturday and I usually avoided taking him shopping at all costs because of his behaviors and meltdowns, but he was SO good. He was so helpful with his little brother. It was so good to see. I hope and pray he has continued success with the Focalin.

gcvmom

Here we go again!
How great that he can feel the difference in himself and articulate it for you! I hope the Focalin XR continues to work for him and that there are many more successful days ahead!