difficult child is going to try a high school sport

Wiped Out

Staff member
When difficult child was younger he used to wrestle (3rd, 4th, and I think 5th grade). He has not done any wrestling since then. He also is very out of shape. All of that being said we are really proud that he is going to do this.

At the same time, husband and I are nervous for him. His social skills are so lacking and plus he is so over the top excited that if this doesn't work out he is going to be very disappointed. husband has been emailing the coach who sounds as if he doesn't think it will be a problem. There is at least one other child who also has a disability similar to difficult child's. The coach thinks having difficult child and this other child on the team will be a great experience for both the team and the two kids.

Of course, he has been driving us nuts all weekend long! He found out Thursday that it started on Monday and that he needed a physical. Fortunately when I called I was able to get him an appointment for Friday morning so I had to take Friday morning off which I didn't really mind!

All weekend long he has been asking us a ton of questions (that we have no idea the answers too-of course-he is obsessing and asking us the same questions). He also is bugging us to get him wrestling shoes which we said no to until he practices at least a week and decides he really wants to stick with it. He is also very giddy-thankfully not quite manic! He woke up early yesterday and today because he is so excited. Knowing him he'll probably be up by 3 in the morning tomorrow-ugh!

Please keep a good thought that this works well for him! He needs something to do!

BusynMember

I really, really hopes it works for him.

If not, have you thought of Special Olympics? That gives all kids a chance to play and many are VERY GOOD! Also helps with social skills and self-esteem. My son has done it for years and I credit this as one large component as to why he is exceeding everyone's expectations of him. Some are lower functioning athletes, but some are very high functioning! The kids have a blast.

My son has a similar background to yours (the whole nine yards with the birthmom and substance abuse and the cognitive disorder not otherwise specified part of his diagnosis, even though his IQ is normal, etc). He also needed something to do. We had to force him to do it at first, but now he loves it and he seems much more a regular young man now than he did before. You may find it a great experience for your son.

svengandhi

I'm not a big sports fan but wrestling seems like it could be good because it's more individual. Have you considered asking the coach if someone on the team or a former member could loan difficult child the shoes until he decides if he's going to stick it out. I did that with things like Irish step dance shoes that were costly and wound up never having to buy a pair the entire time daughter did it (about 18 months or until they insisted they wear one of those wigs and she refused).

B

Bunny

I'm keeping my fingers crossed for him. I hope that it works out. Things like this are so important for all kids, but especially for a difficult child kid.

cubsgirl

I hope that it all goes well - it must be kind of nice that difficult child is so excited even if he is bugging you about it. Good call on the wrestling shoes. I pray and hope that difficult child stays with it!!

Wiped Out

Staff member
MM-Thanks for the idea of Special Olympics. I never thought he would qualify for them but maybe he would.

Shiela-Thanks for the crossed fingers!

Svengandhi-I agree that wrestling is a good sport for difficult child; the individual part of it is good for difficult child and yet it being a team they are all encouraging one another. He is borrowing a pair of shoes for the week.

Bunny-You are so right that it is especially important for our difficult children!

Busywend-Thanks for the crossed fingers!

Cubsgirl-Thanks for all of the good thoughts! It is nice to see him so excited!

difficult child's first practice went well! He was extremely happy and extremely stinky!!!! The car ride home was a long one as it was too cold for any windows to be open!

BusynMember

If he's labeled cognitive disorder not otherwise specified, sure. Lots of "normal" looking kids/adults are there along with the more disabled. My son has formed close friendships going there and since he is one of the normal looking kids who is also good at sports, he has a lot of self confidence he didn't have before. The friends he has made are high functioning too, although he has learned kindness toward the others who need more help. His compassion is off the charts toward the people who can not do as well as he can. Doesn't bother him to be there at all. He loves it. Sonic could never have made sports in his school and didn't have the social skills most jocks have anyway. I have to reiterate that my son has a normal IQ. He simply has a second diagnosis of cognitive disorder not otherwise specified. Nobody really pushed me for documentation.

My son has learned a lot about many different types of people and really enjoys it.

LittleDudesMom

Sharon, I remember when he wrestled last time! Wow, the years just melt away don't they?

Here's hoping this will be a good thing for him - the social aspect is so key to our kids.

Sharon