difficult child is Making Progress... (No Jinx! No Jinx! No Jinx!)

DaisyFace

Love me...Love me not
I have hesitated posting because you *know* that as soon as you brag about a difficult child everything just falls apart.... (crossing fingers here - NO Jinx!)

difficult child is doing really well at her job! She has begun using phrases like "It's my responsibility" and "I'm responsible for that." {Wow! Is that really my kid???}
But - she's still a difficult child, so we also hear "I'm supposed to work until 9 - but I'm gonna leave at 6."...and that sort of thing.

She's been very good about letting us know when she leaves the house and when she'll be back. So good, in fact, that we took a trip to the pawn shop and let her retrieve her instruments. {Yay!!!!}

And...

today she turns 17. {Happy Birthday difficult child!}

In SC, that pretty much means that "status offenses" are over. She can legally quit school. She can legally move out of our house. For any crimes, she will be charged as an adult instead of a minor.

-and-

If she is "incorrigible" and "out of the control of her parents" - we can legally kick her out of our house.

And difficult child is determined not to get kicked out!

Let's hope this new-found, more responsible attitude lasts...

buddy

YIPEE! (knocking all the wood in the house!)

Happy Birthday difficult child!!!!

And I too, hope this it the turn around year, not the year to find out how different it is at 17 when you get into trouble....sigh.

I will join your No jinx chant!!! No jinx, no jinx, no jinx!! :)

That is wonderful news Daisyface - and happy birthday to your difficult child. It sounds like she is really making some progress and starting to see things more maturely and responsibly.

Yeah!!!

keista

Happy Birthday!

This is so awesome! May be ditching all the services was the way to go. She's got fewer ppl to blame and fall back on.

InsaneCdn

Here's hoping your difficult child's "up-spiral" is as good as our difficult child's... in which case, this is just the beginning...

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
Progress is a heckuva lot more believable in my opinion than a complete 180... If she went from difficult child to perfect perfect perfect easy child, that would cause red alerts everywhere. (As I mentioned to Mom yesterday, I love the Onyxx we have right now, but I don't totally believe it...)

And "supposed to work till 9 but I'm gonna leave at 6" is something I might have said at age 17...

Does she KNOW about the magic 17? Cause if she does... Could be her going, OMG! I'm so done! MUST.CHANGE.NOW...

B

Bunny

I'm so glad to hear it, Daisy!! I'm also crossing my fingers and knocking on all the wood I can find and hoping that she's maturing. She will always be a difficult child, but at least it might get a little better for your family.

TerryJ2

Happy birthday, 17-yr-old!
I hope that the learning curve continues. And I'm glad she's actually working!

exhausted

Good news and Happy B-day to difficult child! This says a lot when she tries to be "good" and doesn't want to be kicked out. Our difficult child knows that at 18, in September, she is legal and we have told her she will not live here rent free and behaving as she now does, using us as a revolving door. Nothing has changed for long.

cubsgirl

No jinx. No jinx. Fingers crossed and rattling everything that difficult child continues to gain insight and maturity.

DaisyFace

Love me...Love me not
Thank you all for the good wishes!

We took difficult child out to dinner last night to celebrate and we *almost* had a difficult child episode right there in the restaurant. For whatever reason, difficult child decided to start bragging about all the bad names she calls us when she talks about us at school.

I looked her dead in the eye and said "So far, this has been a nice evening - are you SURE you want to start this?"

She didn't apologize - but she dropped that conversation...though she was still acting pretty cocky about it.

We'll see how things go from here...

InsaneCdn

Getting apologies out of typical teen kids can be close to impossible... so, for difficult child? Response was on target, and THAT is major improvement.

Way to handle that one, Warrior Mom!

DaisyFace

Love me...Love me not
Way to handle that one, Warrior Mom!

Thanks for the vote of confidence!

I'm still pretty aggravated about it. Why in the world would you start that stuff at a nice dinner? And why would you start it with the people who are PAYING for your nice dinner???