difficult child is "practicing" his anxiety

Andy

Today was stressful for difficult child. I worked 8 hours today then took difficult child to Wal-mart for birthday gifts for the neighbor's dogs. easy child met us there and difficult child started in on her - kicking, hitting, ect. I scolded him and then he turned on me. He wants me to apologize for not getting after easy child for her role in the situation (I did not hear or see anything and when I did, she was also scolded). We then went to Trumpet - he was very upset.

After trumpet lessons, we came home and attended a birthday party for our neighbor's two dogs. A fun reason to get the neighborhood kids together. I found a card with a lot of dogs on it that played music of dogs barking and said "Happy Birthday from the whole muttley crew" I signed it with all the names of the neighborhood dogs.

Then I left for a church meeting. difficult child was fine when I left (6:45 pm). When I got home at 9:30, he was still awake. He said he didn't feel well - head felt weird, nauses - he had drank his Gaterade already. I told him that he had a big day and that he just needed to sleep. He thinks he is going to die. I explained that our bodies get tired and worn down once in a while and all we need to do is sleep. He went down the hall way saying, "I get to practice my anxiety".

I am also thinking that this is good practice - he needs to learn how to deal with his anxiety - he has been given coping skills, just have to remember to use them. He asked me to go to his room but I told him he needs to work on this himself (If he was super anxious, I would go) and he agreed.

Tommorrow a.m. may be stressful for him also - I hope he can stay on top of this.

F

flutterbee

It's really good that he recognizes the anxiety. Wynter is just starting to do that now. It has to be scary to feel so out of control of your body like that.

Good for him for recognizing it and for using his tools.

LittleDudesMom

Adrianne,

I think it's great that difficult child is able to vocalize his feelings and understands anxiety. He's a young one, but his awareness should only increase and will serve him well as life moves on.

Sharon

TerryJ2

I agree, progress! And I am sorry he frets so when he doesn't feel well. It would never occur to me that I am about to die--just that I have so much work to do, I cannot afford to be sick and miserable!
Poor kid. I'm glad he's working on it. He's the same age as my difficult child.