difficult child is so rude !

shellyd67

He has always complained and made dinner unpleasant if I did not make something he likes.

I made a nice Sunday dinner last night.

difficult child asked what we were having and I told him and he seemed pleased.

When it came time to eat he looked at his plate and began saying how nasty it looked.

husband said you don't have to like it but do not be rude and he told him how much time and effort it took for me to cook it, blah, blah, blah,

difficult child took a bite and spit it right out very loudly.

We asked him to leave the table and informed him no dessert (chocolate pie, his favorite)

He freaked out and tantrumed but whatever ...

He is very mannerly and sweet to everyone else but me and husband ...

Little turd !

Jody

Oh Shelly I am sorry, My difficult child is going thru the mom never cooks anymore!! It's just she and I at the moment till her sister comes home from college, but she was complaining about everything that I cooked, if it wasn't her favorite or I cooked with a greenpepper or an onion, god forbid. So now she says to me, am I on my own, yeppers, sure are. That means, a sandwich and whatever else she can find. I might cook this weekend, we'll see.

shellyd67

I know Jody ... I am so disgusted with difficult child right now. He just thinks the world revolves around him and I should cater to his every need.

You better jump back jack !!!!!:talkhand:

DaisyFace

Love me...Love me not
Shelly--

That sounds so hurtful! And yes - RUDE!

I think you did the right thing by asking him to leave the table. After all, no one wants to enjoy a meal with someone who is behaving rudely.

InsaneCdn

Stupid ideas here, but sometimes stupid ideas work...
- "I told him we were having...": how often does HE get to plan the menu? and help cook it? We have less fits around our place, now that difficult child has been taught how to make a few things we all like. He doesn't like to do it very often (takes too long, Mom), but he knows that if he complains about what I make, then tomorrow he WILL be cooking for all of us...

- Has he ever been tested for sensory issues? I was like this as a kid... we didn't know about this sensory stuff back then. But all it took was for Mom to use a tiny bit of a different spice than normal, and... I would NOT be able to eat it. For example... she made hamburgers, but one day was out of most spices so used ketchup as a flavoring... and I took one whiff, and could NOT eat. Period. I wasn't trying to be rude or mean or nasty... any more than she was trying to set me off...

TiredSoul

Warrior Mom since 2007
Hi Shelly!
Sorry difficult child was so rude. :( At least he comes to the table. :) My difficult child won't even do that, let alone eat anything I make.

InsaneCdn could definitely be on to something with the sensory stuff. In fact, I need to find out how to go about getting my difficult child tested by an Occupational Therapist (OT) - because pretty much all he eats is cereal, chicken nuggets (fast food, not home cooked), sometimes salmon, sometimes pizza.

InsaneCdn

Stupid food ideas...
- try frozen veggies, still frozen. (they don't taste like anything except "frozen") - my kids went through a stage when they were younger... but they still consider this to be a treat.
- some of us can stand RAW veggies, but not cooked (some are the other way around), and maybe only particular ones... (I can't stand strong flavors, so parsnips and asparagus are out)
- sometimes it's texture... one kid can't stand spaghetti squash but will eat any other... and the other will only eat squash if it's spaghetti squash...
- Ditto for fruits... options are fresh, cooked (baked apple? pie? blueberry sauce for over ice cream?), canned, or frozen... and yes, frozen blueberries don't taste anything except frozen either.

Malika

Yes, I can recognise this scene too... Agree with IC about the eating difficulties but of course he should not have expressed it like that - upsetting the family and depriving himself of dessert...
I have given up cooking as such for my son. He just won't touch it. Has about half a dozen simple dishes he will eat (pasta, eggs, fish fingers, baked beans, ravioli - that's it ) and he has them again and again. Just as well I'm not a cordon bleu chef feeling frustrated. :)
Hope your son gets to understand how to express his distate a bit more skilfully, Shelly. And mine too...