difficult child is starting work tomorrow in Sydney

Estherfromjerusalem

It's now almost two months since difficult child went to Australia. We speak occasionally on Skype, sometimes on the phone. Not very often. He seems a bit distant most of the time, but seems sometimes to miss us a bit, which is good, I think.

He did start working, building fences, but it didn't work out. I don't know why. He doesn't tell me much. Anyway, tomorrow he is starting working in Westfield Canyon in Chestwood, Sydney. Do you know it, Marg? He has a work permit visa, and he will be selling Dead Sea stuff. I hope it goes OK.

He has been enjoying himself. He was at Surfers' Paradise, at Byron Bay, and at the Gold Coast. He keeps on posting pictures on Facebook, some of them are amazing. Of course, he takes photos of all the wonderful sports cars!! And of himself. He's wearing warm clothes, so it looks as if the weather is cold in Australia.

Sorry, I can't write more. I've got bronchitis and the doctor gave me antibiotics yesterday already, but they haven't kicked in yet and I'm feeling lousy so I'm getting back into bed.

Love, Esther

DDD

The updates on difficult child are encouraging. Sorry you are under the weather but hope the medications kick in fast. Your friend, DDD

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Sounds good so far!

You take care of yourself! Plenty of rest, some spoiling, chicken soup ect. Hope those antibiotics kick in quickly and do the trick.

Hugs

Marguerite

Could it be Chatswood, Esther?

Chatswood is a very up-market suburb in North Sydney, just across the Harbour Bridge from the CBD. If he's living in the area he will be in prime position to enjoy the best that the heart of Sydney has to offer. I know Chatswood quite well, a charity I used to do volunteer work for was based there for some years.

husband & I were in Byron Bay (actually, about half an hour to the north) a few weeks ago. We were right between Byron Bay and Surfer's. Travelled to both places. It was still summer up north, but we came home to wintry weather. Although the thermometer says it's 20 C or thereabouts, that's only in the middle of the day, the rest of the time it's colder. The weather is changeable. Raining at the moment. I can hear the gutters overflowing into large puddles outside.

If he's working in one of the Westfield centres (large malls all round the country) then he will be comfortable inside, those places are very much climate-controlled. As we move into winter it will get colder here, but not a lot more. This is about as bad as Sydney gets, pretty much. A bit colder, a bit windier, but that's about it. Sometimes there is brief snow on the Blue Mountains to the west. He should go there some weekend to have a look around. There's a lot to look at all round the place. I would suggest, if he hasn't already done it, that he visit the Opera House and see what might be on in one of the small theatres. Or check out the weekend markets in the Rocks or Kings Cross. In the daytime. There's the zoo not far away from Chatswood. Lots of stuff to do on the Harbour or in the heart of the city. Back on the southern side of the Harbour Bridge, Darling Harbour is worth a visit, also in the heart of the city. Hyde Park is safe to walk around, it's very pleasant. Lots of historic buildings, although very new compared to what he must be used to. The Great Synagogue is across the road from Hyde Park.

We're on the southern outskirts of Sydney. If I drive outside peak hour, I could get to Chatswood in about an hour and a half or less. difficult child 3's school is on the southern side of the Harbour, it takes us about an hour to get there by car if the traffic is good. When it's bad, it has taken nearly three hours. It's good that we don't have to go there very often!

Look after yourself. If difficult child ever wants a guided tour of the southern areas, let me know and we'll meet up with him. The train service to the "mainland" near us is really good.

Marg

lovemysons

Dear Esther,

Sure hope you are feeling better today. Happy to hear encouraging news about difficult child, good deal.

Healing hugs,
Tammy

Estherfromjerusalem

Shelly, DDD and Hound Dog, thank you all for your good wishes. It is taking a while for the antibiotic to kick in, but I think I am just now beginning to feel a little bit better after two whole days. Chicken soup will be made tonight!!

Marg, I'm sure he means what you said, Chatswood. I hope he does well. I think he will be good at selling -- after all, that's what he did with the motorbikes for a year and a half, and he was fine at it. We'll see. I'll tell him about your suggestion, thank you for taking an interest in him. The photos he posts (on Facebook) of the places he goes to are just gorgeous. You certainly have some beautiful places in Australia, that's for sure.

Tammy, it's been such a long time since I "saw" you. Sorry you're having trouble with your son (I saw on another post). Sending you a real hug -- it seems more real because I have actually met you!!!

Love, Esther