difficult child J's Christmas program and IAT meeting

Woofens

Hi everyone!!!

Things are a bit better since my last post (thanks goodness!!!). Yesterday was GJG's IAT (Intervention Assessment Team) meeting, and it went great! We kept all of his of his interventions in place, a bit modified, and he is doing so much better. He has brought the problem grades up one grade each. The team is being excellent about helping as much as they can. We decided if homework causes an issue, I don't have to force him to do it and possibly bring on a rage. They will deal with it at school.

He had his Christmas program today. We had discussed it yesterday, and decided that he would sit in the bleachers, and not have to participate due to his anxiety issues. He did not want to be a part of it. We decided to let him sit with another class so that he would not feel punished by not taking part in it. This morning he decided to go ahead and be in the program, since it meant that I could pick him up and take him home afterward, instead of him riding the bus.

During the program, I noticed that he was doing alot of swaying in place. His teacher had commented on that yesterday also. Said that he will stand up in class and sway in place. He doesn't even seem to realize he is doing it. I asked him about it today after the program and he said he didn't know why he was doing it, and I asked him how it made him feel and he said better. Ok... I'm all for anything to avoid a rage.... but why would this help?

Keeping my fingers crossed for a good weekend!

Hugs,
Jan

klmno

Hmmmm.... has he had complete neuropsychology testing done privately? It sounds like that might be a good idea if he hasn't. I'm glad the meeting went well and you have a good relationship with the school- that goes a long way!!

Jena

Jan

I"m happy you had a good mtg. as well, klmno is right having the school on your side is beyond huge. Cant' get anything done in schools without it. Good for you.

I"m glad that he participated in the holiday thing as well, i hope he enjoyed himself. The swaying in place, hmmm my difficult child does that at times as well. i notice she does it when she is in highly uncomfortable situations and her anxiety is kicking up.

i hope you have a good weekend.