difficult child just told me that she cut again

StressedM0mma

She had been doing really well, but relapsed in Oct., and just did it again about an hour ago. Not sure what is going on with her. She of course doesn't want to talk. I am wondering if things got a little bit rough during group on Sat. I guess I should be happy that she told me, but I am sad that she still feels that is the answer.

I was hoping that it was just one or 2, but I know that it was more than 20, and she did it on both legs. I have a feeling that she will battle this her entire life. For that I am sad.

It doesn't freak me out, it just makes me sad.

TerryJ2

Oh, I'm sorry. Big sigh. Is she at home? I'm glad she told you, anyway. What do you think she expects you to say?
I wish I had some advice. But I can listen.

StressedM0mma

Yeah. She is at home. She is up in her room right now. There really isn't any advice. But thanks. She just wants to be alone right now. I think she may be getting worried about going to school tomorrow too. The new semester starts, and that means new classes. We had a "snow" day today because of the wind chill, so she has had a week of skewed schedules. With mid terms she didn't have to go in all day. It is just frustrating. She wants a tattoo to cover it, and I said that it was OK, but that I wouldn't until I knew it wouldn't get ruined. I guess it is going to still be awhile.

StressedM0mma

I asked her if I could see them, but she said no. I did ask her if any were deep and needed to be stitched or had to worry about infection, and she said no to that as well. Sigh. I am just giving her space up in her room.

TerryJ2

Stressed, difficult child's old girlfriend used to cut, but it was more like deep scratches. They healed enough that she could go to the beach and her mom didn't notice. Don't jump the gun on any tattoos!
I hope that she shows them to you tomorrow.

DammitJanet

I was a cutter but not to the extreme. When my skin is really thin like when I was in the hospital you could really see my worst cut. I carved the word HATE into my arm. I have stopped now. Havent done it in the past few years.

StressedM0mma

I know it is very common, it just makes me so sad for her. She is so beautiful. I know it is nothing I did to cause this to happen. I just wish there was something I could say or do to make it stop for her. And, it is a very slippery slope of how much I prod into it.

StressedM0mma

She goes to the therapist every Sat. for group, and she has individual tonight. So hopefully she will talk to them. THey know she cuts so at least it isn't a secret. And, she is maxed with alot of her medications. And, I am not going to play medication roulette right now. She is mostly stable. I hate to mess with it. Ya know? I need to upday my sig. so that everyone can see her new medication combo.

And thanks for the hugs. They are always needed and appreciated.

StressedM0mma

Thanks guys. I know. I try not to "nag" about it, because that seems to make it worse. I have told her to come to me if any of them are deep, or are not healing well. I know that sounds cold, but I do now realize this is not about me. I can not take ownership of this for her. So, I have asked her to inform me if she needs to see the Dr. for any of them, or if she needs anything else to clean them.

TerryJ2

I think you are taking the right stand. Hysterics or blaming won't do any good. She's already in therapy.
I hope she went last night and was able to talk about it.
Fingers crossed.