difficult child kicked out of rehab

Last night difficult child fainted and was sent to the county hospital by ambulance. She was told not to return without a proper discharge from the hospital.

At the hospital after 12 hours she had still not been seen (this is all according to difficult child). She decided not to wait any longer and walked back across Chicago to her Residential Treatment Center (RTC). When she got there without her discharge they told her she was dismissed. She had completed 60 days out of 90 (and was clean at our house for 30 days waiting to get in to treatment, so she has 90 days sober overall).

She's had several fainting spells at the rehab. The last one before last night her blood pressure was extremely low. No one knows why her blood pressure dropped. She also has gynecological problems -- had an appointment. with a gynecologist today in fact. Now she can't go. When she was admitted they said they had doctors and psychiatrists available to the clients, but access has been poor. She got permission to see her old psychiatrist after she'd been there 30 days and had yet to see anyone, to get her medications adjusted.

I'm mad as a hornet :grrr: at the rehab and not too happy with difficult child, but really I think she got a raw deal here. I think they were tired of dealing with her medical and mental problems and took this opportunity to send her packing. She says she's keeping her spirits up and will start making meetings and get a sponsor.

I also wonder what I don't know about what was happening at the rehab. I have spoken with her counselor a couple of times over the last few weeks (this is not the so-called "prophet" that she talked to the first week; he is her "regular" counselor she's been working with for several weeks) and he said she was doing quite well and had a good attitude.

So difficult child is headed to our house on the train. She has appointments with MD today (we asked him to do a drug test, too) and psychiatrist Saturday. Guess she'll be staying with us again for a while. I don't know where else she can go for the time being. I don't want to just cut her loose when she's clean and trying to do good. But it is going to be a severe disruption. She will have to find somewhere else to live fairly soon. She's been pursuing a SSI disability claim, maybe that will pan out and she can get an apartment or something.

And the past two months have been so nice and peaceful. As my username says, here we go again. ::sigh::

STILLjustamom

HWGA,
This is the first I have read of your situation but it sounds like you are approaching it with common sense. You know her coming back home will be disruptive, but perhaps with her progress, you will notice some changes in her, however small. SSI would be good if she can get it but I know they are often rejected the first time trying. Do you think she is a good candidate for that? You might check to see if there is a NAMI (National Alliance for mental illness) in your area. I know in my city they have knowledge of special apartment complexes for individuals with mental illnesses. In fact there are several different complexes in this city. Most of the renters use their disability checks to pay the rent.

Sunlight

if she is clean, I would not hesitate to take her in til she gets things figured out. if ant could have stayed sober, he would still be here and I would not have my stomach in a knot knowing how and where he is living.

it is a mix of emotions. one more person does disrupt things. hope your daughter is the new and improved version....just dont let her sleep with you all in the family bed...it is crowded enough! :smile:

KFld

Sorry your life is going to be disrupted again. I pray she can continue to stay clean. That will make your life a little less disrupted :smile:

Suz

(the future) MRS. GERE
Boy, I'm sorry about all this. I think it's a great idea to have her health checked out and her drug tested today before she even gets to your house.

I'll never forget one night when Rob keeled right over. Fainted. He'd never done that before. Ex and I were just about to leave for a night out and I refused to leave Rob. Ex was sooooooooooooo mad at me but no way was I going to leave him when he had just fainted.

Of course in retrospect, my guess is that it had something to do with drugs but we didn't know it at the time.

Good luck. I hope she's been in rehab long enough for some of the lessons to get through and stick.

Suz

jbrain

Hi,
sorry, hope all goes well. My difficult child 1 has managed to get kicked out of 2 facilities (pretended she was suicidal for one and just refused to abide by rules at the other). She also was fainting at her lockdown Residential Treatment Center (RTC) in Utah. I think she really fainted some of the time (could make herself faint) and some of the time she faked it. When the people there let her know they would not be sending her home for medical conditions she miraculously quit fainting.

Let us know what happens and know we are thinking of you, hoping for the best.
Jane

jbrain

Hi,
sorry, hope all goes well. My difficult child 1 has managed to get kicked out of 2 facilities (pretended she was suicidal for one and just refused to abide by rules at the other). She also was fainting at her lockdown Residential Treatment Center (RTC) in Utah. I think she really fainted some of the time (could make herself faint) and some of the time she faked it. When the people there let her know they would not be sending her home for medical conditions she miraculously quit fainting.

Let us know what happens and know we are thinking of you, hoping for the best.
Jane

SunnyFlorida

I feel for ya. If she's clean and trying...then I'm all for helping her along. Just be cautious and make sure everything is still locked up.

It is too easy to relapse. Will be sending some strong cyber support.

KFld

I agree with the drug testing. You need to make sure she didn't relapse and isn't giving you the full story of why she was kicked out. It's amazing what they will tell you when they need something. I can't imagine a rehab bringing her to the hospital and then kicking her out when she comes back, without a good reason.

PonyGirl

Warrior Parent
I don't have a lot of experience dealing with Residential Treatment Center (RTC), but it wouldn't surprise me if you were right-on with your belief that they were tired of dealing with her medical issues. Also, I have no problem believing she waited over 12 hours at ER and wasn't seen.

Sorry for this turn of events, but sending big hugs and strong prayers that your daughter has finally reached the turning point and truly will get to meetings and stay sober.

Thinking of you

Peace

I spoke to several people at the treatment center yesterday afternoon. She's telling the truth. They said they had to dismiss her, it was a liability issue if she didn't bring back a discharge, even if it only said "patient refused treatment". It seems obvious they were waiting for an excuse to push her out, otherwise they could have told her to go right back and get a proper discharge (as her counselor admitted).

Well, she did break their rules. It's a setback but not the end of the world. I'm confident she'll come back clean on the UA at the doctor's office yesterday, she was downright anxious to get tested and prove she's still drug free. She was devastated, and angry, that they sent her home. But so far she's been true to her word about keeping her spirits up. Course it's only been less than 24 hours.