difficult child knew it before the experts did!

busywend

HAHA!! I just heard on the weekend news that excessive homework does NOT raise test scores. They said the amount of homework being done is up 51% from 1980.

I guess my difficult child just knew that doing homework would not get her any further ahead! LOL!
:rofl:

by the way - she is taking her PSAT as I type. Fingers crossed she gets an eye opener and realizes it is time to buckle down if she really wants college. She still talks about it.

Sheila

roflol :rofl:

I have to agree, "more" is not necessarily "better."

It's great difficult child is still talking about college. Without the desire, the battle is lost.

All body parts crossed!!

Sharon1974

I am with you on the homework. JK has about 2 hours to do each night in third grade. I know he has to leave school early to attend his partial program - but then he does not get home until 6:30 pm and has two hours of homework partly because of the missed schoolwork. It is very fustrating!!!

Martie

Personally, I think a lot of schools are WAY overboard on homework. I'm glad you found a study to support this view.

Martie

F

flutterbee

I heard another study showing the same thing a couple of years ago. It hasn't affected our SD any, but it wasn't at all surprising to me. So much of their homework is just busy work. It really annoyed me and with difficult child's meltdowns I wouldn't make her do it.

I especially hate the projects they make kids make. You see these 2nd graders walking in with their model of the Taj Ma Hal (sp?) and you know there is no way those kids made those. Mom or Dad did. I mean...why? Another time there was a solar system project. They made one in school. I know cause I observed that day. Then they were sent home with an assignment to make another one only this one required a purchase of styrofoam balls and other items. We didn't do that one. I sent a note to the teacher and asked her how many solar systems were the kids going to be required to make.

No wonder they didn't like me much at the elementary school.