difficult child Left Home....Temporarily (I think)

april1974

UPDATE:

difficult child came here yesterday to pick up a few things. Very disrespectful and very cocky! Ugh!

And now, Ms Ally has rescheduled her appointment to Friday. I'm hoping difficult child will still be out of the house by then....because I'd really like to discuss all of this without difficult child being present.

I hope you get the chance to speak without difficult child being there. (((((hugs)))))

DammitJanet

I think we need to change our 50 years ago time frame to something farther away now because like the other poster said...50 years is now the 60s...lol. If there was ever a decade of difficult child's, that was the decade! Im just sorry I was a 8 and under in that decade...I would have so fit in...lol.

Now in the years before then, most kids that were really not "students" or maybe had some issues that werent quite right, they may have been sent away or if a family had a farm, they simply worked on the farm. Lots of times people who have things like ADHD are much better at outdoorsy things and make great farmers or hunters, trappers, or the people who actually built the railroads and moved our country to the west. I certainly wouldnt have lasted in a buggy!

Marguerite

Although I grew up in the suburbs, we were farmers on a pocket-handkerchief farm. This gave us plenty of hard work outdoors working as a family (a big family - teamwork), as well as a lot of repetitive chores which can be just what some difficult children need.

On husband's side, he has said here he was born in the outback - he was. But his father had an even more isolated upbringing, he and his brothers living on a sheep station "out in the donga". Their mother supervised lessons in between the boys working on the station with their father. They grew up there, all of them, totally isolated and miles from the nearest town. It's a lot easier to be a difficult child in the outback.

And that is a more modern option now recognised - we have jackaroo opportunities here in Australia (also jillaroo, for girls) where young inexperienced people can get jobs on outback properties and learn as they go. Some of these are through programs for trouble teens. "World's Strictest Parents" plugged in to one of these programs, I recall.

And in decades past, Aussie difficult children would go "on the wallaby trail" and "waltz their matilda". They would become swagmen (tramps) and roam here or there, as the whim took them. Some swaggies were itinerants looking for work; some were itinerants avoiding work. My mother and her aunt used to tell stories of swagmen visiting the family farm and the varied responses to work offers.

A lot of these swaggies, form the stories, were difficult child in origin. Back in those days, you just didn't survive sometimes.

Marg