Wiped Out

Staff member
completely out of it at the hospital when we saw him today. He almost seemed rather zombieish. Still at the same time he was very moody. It was very hard to see him so out of it.

Right now they have stopped giving him Lamictal and switched him to Depakote. Although he has been on Depakote before the psychiatrist wanted to try it for a couple of reasons. One he was never on Depakote when he wasn't on a stimulant for ADHD. We know difficult child cannot tolerate stimulants so are hoping it will work better with-o being one. The other reason is he was never on it when he was on an AP. psychiatrist is hoping this will also make a difference.

I spoke with someone from the hospital today who asked what I would like to see come out of the hospitalization besides stabilization. I jokingly told her we expected a miracle! I really didn't know what else to say.

Feeling worn out right now and hoping to get to sleep early tonight!

gcvmom

Here we go again!
What else besides stabilization would anyone expect, I wonder?

Perhaps once the Depakote is optimized his AP can be cut back. The zombie state should get better with time. I know it has with my difficult child 2.

Hope you have a restorative night of sleep!

crazymama30

husband gets that way on Depakote. I know with him(don't know if they do this kids) that they took him to the zombie point and then backed the medications off and husband came back normal. Depakote is also a notorious anti manic medication. Is he on any ap's right now?

I would ask the psychiatrist if they are keeping an eye on his levels, which I am sure they are.

Lamictal can also be kinda activating, it reactivated husband's tardive which is extremely unusual.

It is really really hard to see them this way. husband had what I call the Depakote Staggers. He walked like he was drunk, slurred his words and could barely right. His psychiatrist said they actually took him to the point of toxicity and then backed off. I likened it to hitting the rest switch in his brain for husband. Even though he is an adult, he really does not act nor think like one when he is not stable.

Hugs. This has got to be so hard for you.

tiredmommy

{{{Hugs}}} I can only imagine how difficult it was to see difficult child like that. I hope he adjusts quickly and you get some rest.

Fran

Former desparate mom
Sharon, I have been away and just returned home to see that difficult child is in the hospital. I want to say I'm sorry but
I think it is the best place for his safety and everyone else's. Hospitals are places of hope and treatment not punishment.
Obviously, new medications start out with a sedative effect and hopefully things will get calibrated to a dose that the lowest that works for him.
I suspect that the reason that you were asked what you hoped for from this hospitalization is to see if you are realistic in your
expectations. Obviously miracles are what we all look for and I'm still waiting for mine but in the meantime, we humans have to hammer out each day as to the best possible treatment we can have for our difficult child's and our family in general.
I wouldn't feel bad about missing a visit. difficult child gets lots and lots of attention and consideration. It is reasonable and appropriate that on this day he has to wait for easy child to have her special day. He has to understand that you are a parent to easy child as well as to him regardless of his self absorption.
I would be asking the mental health team what the expectation of the next year will be and what you and husband should do in preparation. Will he be able to return to mainstream public school? Is he able to be safe at home? What is the plan if he turns dangerous or I should say more dangerous? I think the team(including you and husband) should have an open, frank discussion about what they project for difficult child in the upcoming few years. It is unkind for them to suspect but not share their opinions with you so that you are not prepared. What outcome do they see? It may not be accurate for your difficult child but you should be somehow looking in the same direction.

Hugs.

timer lady

Queen of Hearts
Sharon, I agree completely with what Fran mentioned on expectations - I would have loved a miracle with all of the tweedles inpatients & Residential Treatment Center (RTC) stints.

The mental health teams assessment along with your input on difficult children ability to "maintain" (you should always lead the team) outside of this very restrictive setting.

Sending hugs this morning.

Wiped Out

Staff member
Thank you everyone. He looked better today. The psychiatrist at the hospital called to let me know they needed to decrease his Loxapine and Clonidine some because with the added Depakoe his blood pressure was too low and he was too sedated.

Fran-Good questions for me to be asking! You asked in the morning thread how easy child's confirmation went. It was a nice day. Up until a week ago I wasn't sure she was going to go through with it. She asked our niece to be her sponsor and then I made my homemade lasagna for dinner.

Fran

Former desparate mom
Excellent news that easy child went through with her obligations. If you make me home made lasagna, I'll do confirmation a second time. No one will notice. : )
Glad difficult child is a bit better.