difficult child passed GED

slsh

member since 1999
:faint: Well, allegedly anyway (he volunteered that he will bring "proof" next weekend - poor kid, I hope someday I can trust him, but at least he seems to understand (and not hold it against me) that I don't trust a thing that comes out of his mouth).

Only took a year and a half after he dropped out. Sigh... wonder if this will help him find a *job* now. :hammer:

He's still a mess. I have to wonder if he's developed an eating disorder on top of everything else, he's so emaciated. Swears he's not doing drugs - who knows? He's volunteered for a drug test multiple times, but I don't see the point of doing one. He's been "working on" getting a psychiatrist appointment for.... 8-9 months now? Always has a story for why he hasn't gotten in. I think he needs a thorough physical and screening blood work, esp given his past hx of thyroid problems, but heaven help me, I think that is just too complex a set of tasks for him to follow thru on. I keep my opinions to myself. Detachment bites.

But he did finally get his GED. Baby steps. :whew:

DDD

Hooray! Some job applications don't even ask for you to identify GED vs. diploma. It's a simple check mark. I have my fingers crossed that he really did get it. If he has the certificate I would offer to keep it or make a copy of it to keep at home. Yeah, I know detachment rules call for full detachment but personally I believe many of our difficult children are not capable of executive functioning which includes saving important papers and many other areas. DDD

smallworld

Yeah, difficult child! Let's hope it's the real deal. And if so, I'd say it's bigger than a baby step. A major big step in my book.

susiestar

Roll With It
YEAH difficult child!!! I hope it is true!! Smallworld is right - it IS a big boy step. Esp for a difficult child!

I am sorry you are worried about his health. Detachment does bite, doesn't it? Keeping a copy of the certificate would be a nice thing to do, but if it would give you too much involvement in his life then maybe it would be a bad idea. Only you can make that call.

I hope that the emaciated look is not drugs, but I don't know if that is a realistic hope.

{{{{{{{{{{hugs}}}}}}}}}}

tiredmommy

Congratulations to difficult child! I think I wouldn't keep a copy for him but help him to request a copy of the GED if (when?) he loses it. ;)

timer lady

Queen of Hearts
Never thought you'd see the day, huh, Sue. A big CD board auntie hug to difficult child (if he'll accept one). You & husband have done a wonderful job & I know how hard it is not to step in & make those steps difficult child needs to complete a done deal.

Fran

Former desparate mom
Excellent! It's a good thing. :faint: I know you are relieved to be able to check off that part of growing up.

DammitJanet

Way To Go...great news! What is it with the emaciated look this year? I swear Cory looks like a poster child for starvation.

TerryJ2

Yeaaaay!
I hope he produces a copy for you.
And keeps one for himself.
So sorry he's so thin.
Wonder what that's about? Sounds like you have some ideas ...
So sorry. One step forward, two steps back.

Star*

call 911........call 911
Congratulations Slsh -

This is MAJOR - Please do yourself a favor and find him a cap and gown, have his picture taken, find a tassle somewhere for him and THROW THAT KID A PARTY HE DESERVES. It doesn't matter WHEN he got it - HE FINISHED. HE DID IT.

I am very proud of him for completing this. The GED test isn't easy. If anyone thinks they can do it - Google GED test on line and take some of the sample questions - they're not as easy as people think.