difficult child, school, the good & bad

Wiped Out

Staff member
difficult child had a good first day of school and that was without his noon dosage of medicine. They couldn't find the medications even though husband had dropped them off on Friday. When I stopped in after school and explained what husband told me they finally found them.

His case manager was there and said he had a really good day. You should have seen him practicing his lock combination. He is so trying to master it and has gotten it a few times but it is definitely a challenge for him. The principal was saying he reminded her of her daughter when she learned to ride a bike, wanted to do it non stop, didn't want to come in at night. She said that is how difficult child seemed, like he wouldn't stop til he mastered it.

That was the good news, of course, there has to be some bad. I read the bus schedule wrong (I'm so mad at myself). There is no bus that will take difficult child to my school after his (never mind that there is one that takes him from my school in the morning-doesn't make sense!). The principal was very surprised that there wasn't a bus, in the past there was and they recruit kids from the elementary school where I teach so it seems there should be a bus.

She is going to try and see if the BOE will pay for a taxi to take him to my school but with the fact that he is not at his home school I'm not getting my hopes up. I really don't want him at his home school-it's not a good choice for difficult child and his special needs. Of course, I doubt the BOE will see it that way. I'm not quite sure how we would get him picked up each night!

Why can't anything ever be easy?

tiredmommy

Could transportation be written into his IEP as a related service? Just grasping here, I'm glad his day went well without his noon medications. How did your first day of classes go?

klmno

I'm sorry you're having such a struggle at the beginning of a school year. difficult child is doing well, shoot- you deserve a little relief, too. I hope they can get a safe ride to your school for him. Hang in there- you deserve better than this and something has to give..... {{{HUGS}}}

Jena

hi,

i haven't been in for quite sometime, yet read your post and wanted to say that i am happy that your difficult child had a good first day experience, that is soo important.

yes rough regarding bus, and no it seems nothing is ever easy. yet i am sure that somehow you will work it out. i wish you luck and continued success in school...... :)

Jen

QUOTE=Wiped Out;190506]difficult child had a good first day of school and that was without his noon dosage of medicine. They couldn't find the medications even though husband had dropped them off on Friday. When I stopped in after school and explained what husband told me they finally found them.

His case manager was there and said he had a really good day. You should have seen him practicing his lock combination. He is so trying to master it and has gotten it a few times but it is definitely a challenge for him. The principal was saying he reminded her of her daughter when she learned to ride a bike, wanted to do it non stop, didn't want to come in at night. She said that is how difficult child seemed, like he wouldn't stop til he mastered it.

That was the good news, of course, there has to be some bad. I read the bus schedule wrong (I'm so mad at myself). There is no bus that will take difficult child to my school after his (never mind that there is one that takes him from my school in the morning-doesn't make sense!). The principal was very surprised that there wasn't a bus, in the past there was and they recruit kids from the elementary school where I teach so it seems there should be a bus.

She is going to try and see if the BOE will pay for a taxi to take him to my school but with the fact that he is not at his home school I'm not getting my hopes up. I really don't want him at his home school-it's not a good choice for difficult child and his special needs. Of course, I doubt the BOE will see it that way. I'm not quite sure how we would get him picked up each night!

Why can't anything ever be easy?[/QUOTE]

Andy

I am glad that difficult child had a good day.

You should call the bus company and say, Bus# goes from school X to school Y in the morning. I am having a hard time finding which bus goes from school Y to school X in the afternoon? Can you tell me?

Maybe the bus companies typist left off a bus?

gcvmom

Here we go again!
First day down... that's great news! Hope the rest of the week goes just as easy and that you're able to get the transportation issues figured out. It's always something, right?

timer lady

Queen of Hearts
I'm so glad to hear that difficult children first day went so well - I can see the tenacious look on your difficult children face as he struggles with his locker. I've seen that look on my difficult children faces many times. Once he gets it there will be such pride.

Oh, Sharon.....I've fought transportation so many years it's not funny. They hate the sound of my voice.

I hope you find a resource for this problem. Do you still have services from the summer who'd be willing to transport difficult child or take him for one afternoon a week until you get home? I've done this & it's a great break for wm.

LittleDudesMom

Sharon,

I was hoping for an update on difficult child's first day of school! Glad it went well for him! He's settling, now onto another issue, transportation.......... Hope you get that worked out. It's definately more of a challenge when the kids go out of district. It's a matter of proving the out of district school can provide for his needs and not his home school.If you are able to support that, then transportation follows. Good luck.

Sharon

Wiped Out

Staff member
Whew-it looks like things may work out! The principal e-mailed me today that they have approved 4 weeks of a cab for difficult child which should give the school and us to come with a solution.

And, then when I picked him up and we were looking at the routes again, we are almost certain it goes right to my school (the front instead of the back) but it just doesn't say it.

Hopefully soon this will all be worked out! Thank you all for your support. I don't know if we could prove need for this school but maybe we could as it is smaller than all of the other middle schools which is definitely better for him!

TM-I updated my other thread in the wc about my first day-it wasn't great and today was even more, shall we say, interesting?

OpenWindow

Glad to hear his first day went well and transportation issues are solved for awhile. It seems like the school is very cooperative - that's a very good thing.

Linda

TerryJ2

Neat about the lock. I can see that!
Sorry about the bus messup. When I was little, my mom chipped in with-other moms and we all took a cab to nursery school. We felt very grown up. :)