difficult child seems to have no filter on his stomach

Wiped Out

Staff member
In the last 6 months or so difficult child has eaten to the point where he ends up not keeping anything down.

We try to let him know he needs to stop (we can't monitor him all of the time) but he doesn't seem to realize when he has had enough to eat. It's happened 2 or 3 times in the past week alone. About an hour or so later he feels fine.

Any idea on what to do or if I should be very concerned? He doesn't seem to have an eating disorder in that he is not purposely binging and throwing up. He still is quite heavy other than dropping a little weight (about 7 lbs since he started wrestling which we are attributing to him being active).

InsaneCdn

Mine can't tell if he's full, either - but he's never gotten THAT full. I think it's because we've always emphasized portion control - and been big on snacks anyway. Eat a reasonable portion at this meal. If it wasn't enough, get a bigger snack. It helps avoid over-stuffing at any one meal/snack, while allowing for the calories a growing fellow needs (they DO need it!)

DammitJanet

This sounds a whole lot like Billy. Even as old as he is, he will eat a couple of large plates/bowls of whatever we are having for dinner that evening and then after we all go to bed he will go back to the kitchen and either finish off the leftovers if there are any or make sandwiches/hot pockets/pizzas or something else until his stomach simply cant hold anything else and then he will vomit it all up. Tony finds the evidence of him vomiting in the bathroom all the time.

Billy will sometimes come home and make a salad for dinner and claim he is eating "lite" that night but then we find all these boxes or cans of junk food in the trash can the next day. It is obvious that there is nothing lite about his eating because he is extremely obese. I do worry about what is happening but he denies it completely and swears that what is happening is because he is allergic to things such as cheese, greasy foods, dairy, eggs, etc.

Wiped Out

Staff member
HaoZi, it could be medication related but I don't think it is because he has been on these medications for a long time.

Insane-He will eat a small meal and then before we know it he is snacking on something else, and then more later.

Janet, I don't know what it is with my difficult child.

He is also throwing up in the mornings on the way to school even if he hasn't eaten anything (don't know if it is motion sickness but it doesn't happen every time we drive and it is only on the way to school). husband and I are also wondering if maybe he is getting stomach migraines like he did when he was younger.

InsaneCdn

He is also throwing up in the mornings on the way to school even if he hasn't eaten anything (don't know if it is motion sickness but it doesn't happen every time we drive and it is only on the way to school).

Read more: http://www.conductdisorders.com/for...ve-no-filter-his-stomach-52095/#ixzz2I0jxOIVy
THAT sounds more like school-related stress, to me.
We haven't dealt with this particular symptom, but difficult child was/is high-anxiety.
And it was always worse on the way to school.

As far as eating after a meal...
I ran into this concept recently, and it might have merit:
Our bodies get used to a certain weight of food, in order to feel full.
When we try to eat a "small" meal or eat "healthier", we generally reduce both bulk and weight.
For some people... the "weight" of the meal needs to be increased, without sending the calories over the top.
For others, it's the "bulk" of the meal (how much the stomach has to expand).

Obviously, his body isn't getting any signal from a "small meal".

JJJ

When was his last physical? I would suggest a complete check-up and bloodwork. Something may be medically out of whack.